Extension Cord Sparks Fire In Mobile Home

Published: Dec 3, 2002

ST. PETERSBURG - A fire caused by an extension cord running to a Christmas tree ripped through a mobile home Sunday night, killing two dogs and displacing the two men who live there, fire officials say.
Julian Moore, 40, and David Bastone, 47, who live at 5103 Betty St. N. in Lealman, north of St. Petersburg, had just returned from bowling when they noticed the trailer on fire at roughly 9:10 p.m. One of their four dogs escaped, another was rescued, but two died, Moore said.

Fire Chief Richard Graham of Lealman Fire & Rescue said the blaze was started by an extension cord leading to a Christmas tree.

Moore and Bastone are staying at a nearby trailer.

Graham did not know the extent of the damage.