MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Default Illinois First Money

I'll ask a question specific to Illinois - Has anybody gotten a "legislative initiative" grant through Illinois First this year? We were told there wasn't any money but I see all kinds of other projects getting funded by representatives and senators using money from their slush funds (for lack of the proper word). We were fortunate enought to receive small grants the past 2 years which helped us get a lot of small equipment we needed. We were told not to even bother asking this year, so we didn't.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

I think the well done ran dry. We did get an ambulance in 2000, so I am not going to complain. I also saw a department receive TWO engines and a TOWER LADDER. This is an "all volunteer" department WITHOUT any money troubles...I would have rather seen the money spent on poorer communities.

MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

I heard Kewanee got a butt-load of cash.

The well shouldn't run dry; IL-1st money comes from the license plate fees, etc., but then we are talking about George Ryans' Illinois.....
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Jaybird, I like your description of your location on your profile.
    I found out a little while ago that the well still has some water in it. Our state rep called me, as the DuBois Village Clerk,(not as fire chief) and asked if we had any projects coming up he could help out with. Seems he offered us $50,000 to build a new station. We had the project ready to go in the spring with the help of a Rural Development grant we were hoping to get as soon as the feds got their budget going and borrowing some money from other funds. Now we've got it all in one place, and we don't have to pay it back. I did ask for some money for a new engine but he said that since it was IL First money it had to be for a construction project of some type. He is also a paid on call FF so I look forward to working with him in the future. He was just elected in our district but is a 2 term rep. I'm excited.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Free Money!

Jboczek-

Thanks. I moved here from Aurora about 13 years ago. First thing my new neighbor told me was, "You don't live in your house. That'll always be so-and-so's old house. Till you move out. Then it'll be your old house...."

Can you PM or e-mail me? I would like to talk to you about your Rural Development and IL 1st grants.... Our fire station got hit by lightening in July and we are looking to build double-quick like. We got some $$$ from the Feds in a FEMA grant, but now I'm GREEDY!!

E-mail me at jaybird@indianvalley.com

Looking forward to hear from you.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Forum Member

Lightbulb some nostalgia ...............

here is the the post/thread that started it all in light of the 5K worth of fun and excitement !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Free Money!

Originally posted by jaybird210
    Jboczek-

Our fire station got hit by lightening in July and we are looking to build double-quick like. We got some $$$ from the Feds in a FEMA grant, but now I'm GREEDY!!

Looking forward to hear from you.
    Going to build "double-quick like", huh Jay? I guess a couple years IS pretty quick. We've been working on it that long, too, come to think about it. Too bad that IL First $ never did come through. The well was dry.

Josh, you got too much time on your hands, but thanks for digging up the original posts. I have no recall of this thread at all. Sure has been a lot of discussion on these projects since then.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

I was told by a state representative that the Illinois First money that was approved for building projects two years ago has remained untouched and unused.
    According to well placed sources, the money will be released for their intended projects.
    But, nobody knows exactly when.
    Don't spend it till you have the check in hand.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

Isn't that something?

Ya know, the one Village Trustee that caused us so much trouble told the District just before we got started, "It'll take you two years to get this done." They though he was nuts. Turned out, he was right. Of cousr, if he hadn't slowed our project down for five months, maybe he wouldn't have been right....
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

I know that DCEO is getting tired of hearing from me, but as long as they keep saying "the money is there, but hasn't been released", I am going to keep calling.
    Supposedly, this was a tactic used by Blago as leverage to get some of his agenda passed. So, if the money hasn't been released yet, it is because Blago isn't happy with what has been agreed upon.
    Sad that he ties his political agenda to public safety money that is desperately needed in some communities.
    But, then, I'm talking about a man who tried to "re-allocate" $20 million from the Fire Prevention Fund.
    Keep the faith.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

Forum Member

we seem to get smaller 25,000 dollar first grants, we use them to buy chassis for new trucks we want to get cause that's what we apply for them for. i seem to remember hearing a while back that the First Grants weren't going to keep going because they way they were funded were like illegal or something.
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ox:
    There's nothing illegal about the Illinois First grants.
    They were funded by what's called "member initiative" money.
    State legislators have these little "pet" projects in their districts that they want to get money for. So, each of them supports the other's recommendations on projects and funding for it.
    The governor was upset because he thought it was a classic example of pork barrel, so he attempted to eliminate them.
    Then, he promptly turned around and gave contracts as well as political appointments to his big contributors and buddies.
    But, hey; that's politics.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default A correction!

With all due respect to our thread-dredging friend from Ohio, I believe MIKEY broke the Illinois silence with the first "Winter's Here" thread. I see if I have the same sluething skills as Joshie....
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Forum Member

The ILL.First monies were placed on hold by our gov. If you had an request on the former gov's desk that did not get signed-due to his flurry of pardons no doubt- chances are it is still in play.

The monies do come from several sources, it just depends on how your state leg. wants to pay for it, road funds, bond funds, etc.

I know some grants are slowly coming out & I think it was Central Stickney that got a ton of money from the gov a few months back.

Thread Information