1. #1
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Duffman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Chicago area
    Posts
    780

    Default Amish Fire Deaths...Looking for Answers

    Let me start by saying that I am not looking to place any blame in this tragic event. I just have some questions. I ask anyone who responds to an Amish community to help provide answers.

    What type of emergency service notification does the Amish community have?

    Does their culture result in a delay of FD arrival?
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

    IACOJ

  2. #2
    Sr. Information Officer
    NJFFSA16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    25 NW of the GW
    Posts
    8,434

    Post

    There was a lengthy thread that ran earlier in the year and it discussed the same such question. You can access it at:

    AMISH Thread

    It might answer your question....
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

    *Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    EastKyFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    3,090

    Default

    This house had electricity, so I would presume they had phones as well. Even the more stringent ordnungs sometimes have phones on utility poles (i.e., OUTSIDE the home).

    Smoke detectors are another thought.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC


  4. #4
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Duffman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Chicago area
    Posts
    780

    Default Thanks

    Thanks to NJFF for filling me in. Very insightful.
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

    IACOJ

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    ThNozzleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Jefferson City, TN
    Posts
    4,334

    Default

    I believe the article I read stated that the family was in the process of removing "modern amenities" that had been added to the home since it was converted to an "English" home. Evidently, they were taking modern appliances and such out of the home. I don't know if they use smoke detectors or what, but I'll bet the phone was one of the first things to go. I think it's absolutely silly to refuse to own and operate technilogical devices when they could very well save your family from a terrible death. We all use technology to one extent or the other, even if it's merely buttoning or zipping up your pants or shirt. To me, this ranks right up there with refusing to take medecines or accept modern life-saving care based on beliefs that are, in my opinion, based in mythological fairy tales in the first place.

  6. #6
    Sr. Information Officer
    NJFFSA16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    25 NW of the GW
    Posts
    8,434

    Unhappy Another tragedy-Three dead

    MIDDLEFIELD, Ohio (AP) - A wood-burning stove ignited fuel
    leaking from a lantern that had been knocked over, causing a fire
    in a Geauga County farmhouse that killed an Amish family of three,
    authorities determined Sunday.
    "It was accidental. It appears to be one of their lanterns
    tipped over and broke," said Scott Anderson, chief of the
    Middlefield Volunteer Fire Department.
    Anderson declined to release the identities of the victims, but
    said they were a married couple in their 70s and their daughter in
    her 50s.
    Firefighters responding to the scene about 7 p.m. Saturday found
    the bodies in a front room of the two-story wood house in rural
    Huntsburg Township, an a northeast Ohio Amish community where
    people shun modern conveniences such as electricity as part of
    their religious faith.
    "The Amish don't have telephones, but they have shared
    community phones, and a neighbor used one to make the call," said
    Deputy John Hiscox, a Sheriff's Department spokesman.
    "It was an extremely hot and quick fire," Hiscox said. "The
    house had a slate roof so the fire could not burn through the
    roof."
    Houses in the community about 30 miles east of Cleveland
    typically are heated with wood-burning stoves, and kerosene
    lanterns are sometimes used for light.
    Anderson said that the family had been using a large lantern
    when it appears that a brass part of it broke off, allowing fuel to
    leak out in the living room.
    "It was an older style unit, and could have been homemade,"
    Anderson said.
    Bill Poole, mayor of nearby Middlefield village, said the fire
    nearly gutted the structure.
    "The main portion of the home looks pretty well gone," Poole
    said.

    (Copyright 2003 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

    *Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register