Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Are todays pumpers too Hi-Tech. ?

Are todays pumpers with all the computers on them too high Tech. Has anyone out there had a problem on a fireground with there pumper and found out it was a computer problem. The new technology makes pumping a truck much easier than in the old days but with all the high tech. instruments,is there more to go wrong when you really need them.

MembersZone Subscriber Engine5FF's Avatar

Yes, but mostly in the rigs built by the companies that haven't quite grasped the high tech end yet.
    "What makes a person run into a building others are running out of?...Character."- Dennis Smith

www.elmirafire.org

Sometimes sticking to basics is the best. Our engine has the same pressure releif system, the same throttle system, the same guages as our engine that was 20 years old, and the engine that was 20 years older then that. Really easy to use, and never fails on the fire ground.

A department north of us purchased a new engine and about 3 months later (this was two years ago) they were called to a possible structure fire... they rolled the new engine first.... it managed to make it into the driveway in front of the station and died. Some computer controled something or other bailed and bang... one dead engine and firefighters left standing there while the second due becomes the first due.

As we all know, sh&t happens. The best thing is to plan for the worst, and make sure the back-up plan is never more then a heart beat away.
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

Forum Member

I am definitely more comfortable operating an older pump simply because they are easy to trouble shoot if something goes wrong. There are alot of things on the new computer controlled pumps which you have to assume that they will work. A good example is the electronic pressure governor. With the old pumps the operator set the relief valve and you knew it was working. With these new pumps you just have to assume that the computer will do its job when the time comes. Another interesting thing that happened to me lately was when the alternator went on the pump and the voltage dropped below 12v. The truck put itself in neutral and told me I could not shift.I had to wait in the middle of the road for a mechanic. With the old pumps at least I would have been able to limp back to the hall to wait for the mechanic.

I can just picture it now.

Not ready pumping tank A.
    Abort, Retry, Fail
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

High tech is cool and much easier to operate, but to me the old rigs are much more reliable. Everything was mechanical, not much to go wrong. Ther was always another gate, or inlet to try. If the computer fails, you are outta luck. Some new rigs I have seen have mechanical backup systems to override the computers which makes a lot of sense. So basically what you have is old technology with a computer attached to it.

Forum Member

Default We have had problems with a pumper and a platform

The pumper trouble was related to a "Grounding Problem" The result was that the audible trouble alarm would sound and drive us nuts.

The platform trouble was never attributed to anything in particular. The computer that controlled the truck systems had to be totally replaced under warranty. The problem would result in the alternator being shut down.

A neighboring community went a step further and bought one of the newer multiplexed electrical system platforms.

They are having it replaced by the manufacturer for the difference bewteen a new one and the price they paid for the old one. The platform would be just driving down the street and it would shut down for no apparant reason.

Thread Information