Thread: Helmet Lights

Default Helmet Lights

Does anyone know where I can get information on an LED light that attaches under the brim of helmets??? I have seen some people using them and they seem like a great idea. Thanks for any help.

Stay safe.

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't know if this is what you're looking for but here ya go...
    http://www.thefirestore.com/cgi-bin/...?7sNSJrpr;;221
    Brian Rowe
    Paramedic/Engineer
    Colleton County Fire/Rescue

My buddy got 1 at Galyans that is very bright, and has a mounting bracket that comes with it. Although the light was not put on the market as a light for firefighters, a lot of the guys in my company have gotten them.

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation Helmet Lights

You have to be careful about putting after-market lights on your helmet. In some instances it will void out any warranty you might have on a helmet in the case of an injury or LODD. Recently, a full time f/f was killed from a head injury relating to falling debris. The helmet should have stopped and protected the firefighter, but due to the aftermarkiet light kit, the lawyers said that is was no good and the family receives nothing in compensation.

Ask your city attorney and you local retailer for your helmets.

Sr. Information Officer

Thumbs up

Makes a nice Holiday gift.....(I think I'll get myself a couple!)
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I don't know anything about a LED light for helmets, but have had a hard mount for my Pelican light which I finally mounted my flashlight too tonight.

Not sure if that is what you were referring too, but I am going to trail it for the next few weeks to see if it is any better than trying to hold it in my teeth while doing extrications etc. I know that its pretty darn hard to hold a flashlight in your teeth while wearing a BA - THATS FOR SURE!!!
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Permanently Removed

I'm curious about something here. How come we don't have helmets with lights built in? I'm talking about the kind you see the miners wearing. Any thoughts on this or do they exist?

Heres my 2 cents:

When I first got in the first thing I bought was a helmet light. It looked neat-o.

The fist time I got my head tangled up in an AC duct wire it wasn't neat-o any more. (and this was AFTER the fire was out and the smoke was clear)

I'd be reallll careful about what I put on my helmet, or anywhere else. You can't prevent everything, but you can sure try.

Permanently Removed

Isn't that funny. I never put one on my helmet for that reason. I didn't want something sticking out that could get caught on something. Having busted my way through enough brush, and small hemlocks and swamps, I knew I didn't want a buch of stuff hanging off me t odrag me down and get me snagged. I have been looking, albeit not that hard, for a helmet with an integrated (aka Built in) headlight. I was hoping some of the more seasoned veterans would comment on this subject. Chiefreason, Gonzo, etc. I guess they are still to busy over in the beer ban thing.

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

i've seen some of the new european helmets that look like jet pilot helmets that have built in flashlight. i prefer to have a rubber strap hold my flashlight on my helmet, it will fall off if caught on anything.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

The Fire Knight helmet has a built in flashlight holder (its the euro-style helmet).

I mounted an UK4AA flashlight on my bucket (simular to the 4 AA pelican) and I bent the mounting bracket so it is very tight under the brim of the helmet. I see a lot of guys with lights mounted upwards on the helmet and they are definite wire catchers. While my light could still catch something, it is no more of a hazard than the knobs on my face shield or the "beak" of the eagle on the front holder.
    Last edited by Fire304; 12-06-2002 at 12:46 PM.

Forum Member

Cool

Originally posted by cdevoe
    I'm curious about something here. How come we don't have helmets with lights built in? I'm talking about the kind you see the miners wearing. Any thoughts on this or do they exist?
    cdevoe,

There is a kevlar helmet out, made by Pacific, a company in New Zealand, that has a slot for helmet lights built right into it. You have to use a specific light (UKE 4 AA I think) and it's kind of an expensive helmet $200.00+

Personally, I stopped using a helmet light, and now carry a rechargable flood light. I bought one for myself that has (get this) 3,000,000 candlepower. The guys liked it so much, the District is now buying them for the rigs. While it's a little bulky, the amount of lumination from this thing would put an aircraft to shame.

FG
    IACOJ.... "Carpe Elkhartem"
    (Seize the Nozzle)

"Victorious warriors win first,
    and then go to war,
    while defeated warriors go to war first,
    and then seek to win."

SUN TZU

Permanently Removed

Yea, I just did some searchin and saw that helmet. I'm thinking more along the lines of a light right in the midle of the helmet on top. You could put a lense over the that conforms to the contour of the helmet, much like the headlight lenses on newer cars. This would give you a light source, while keeping your hands free. With the lens that conformed to the contour of the helmet covering the light there would be little chance of getting it caught on anything.

Forum Member

Originally posted by cdevoe
    You could put a lense over the that conforms to the contour of the helmet, much like the headlight lenses on newer cars.
    You should try to build one and patent it. About 5 years ago, we had a new proby who had this idea about putting those little red LED lights in the heel of bunker boots, like the ones in tennis shoes. As always, the older guys pitched him crap, like where would the turn signals go, and what about a headlight.

About two years later there's an article in a trade journal about a teenage girl who won a contest by designing bunker boots with LED lights in the heels.....man, did we pitch that new guy crap.

FG
    IACOJ.... "Carpe Elkhartem"
    (Seize the Nozzle)

"Victorious warriors win first,
    and then go to war,
    while defeated warriors go to war first,
    and then seek to win."

SUN TZU

Permanently Removed

Found this at Pacific Helmets. Don't think it meets NFPA standards. Also have to believe it is very expensive.

These are the specs

Supplied as Standard:

* Integrated KevlarÒ Shell and Face Mask
    * Hi-gloss paint finish
    * One size fits all heads
    * Integrated breathing mask with on-demand air delivery
    * Automated face shield
    * Automated chin strap
    * Twin torches
    * EN443 Pending

Options:

* Neck Protector
    * Internal Cooling system
    * Automated size adjustment
    * Automated ANR hearing protection
    * Surround sound audio linked to radio system
    * Video and thermal camera options
    * Breathing mask to customer specification
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

(sounds of heavy breathing)
    cdevoe...
    I am your father, cdevoe...
    Come join with me and together we can drink dark beer!

Thread Information