Unhappy When did your department first get SCBA's?

I guess it was just something I never thought about and took for granted, that some form of SCBA's had been around the last several decades.
    Something was brought up from I won't say where, about heart attacks and FF.
    In 1978 a good friend of mine lost her father in the line of duty. He was a VFF, working a 2 story nursing home fire. I remember it all well because I was called at work to see if I knew where one of his sons where (whom I was dating at the time).
    Anyway due to the fact that I also lost my best friend the very next day,(who was hit and killed by a drunk driver). I never really got all the facts. I knew he had a heart attack and they said it was brought on my smoke inhalation but that was about it.
    Yesterday I got the chance to talk with her on the phone and I felt like a fool when I asked her if he was wearing his SCBA. Boy did I get a quick history lesson, her fathers department didn't have any SCBA's, she stated more than likely neither did my town. It took loosing her father to get the community aware of the need for SCBA's. They started having fund raisers to buy thier first sets of SCBA's.
    All I could say was O.M.G.
    How many of you have ever worked a fire without SCBA's? How did you do it?
    Last edited by RebeccaB; 12-06-2002 at 07:26 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I joined the local VFC in 1981. The company had recently purchased some Scott 2A Airpaks. I think there were maybe 6 for the whole department. So most members at a fire in those days did not have respiratory protection. Being a new member I certainly did not get to wear one.

Forum Member

My VFD did not get an SCBA until 1980 when we bought 2 ISI Rangers.

Forum Member

We had a few at the end of the 70's, but only were used for certain situations. When I began, in the early 80's, you grabbed the booster line, took a deep breath, hit the fire, ran back out. Needless to say, things have GREATLY improved since then.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

???? When i joined in '77 we had MSA's and Scott 2's, in 1979 we switched to Scott 4.5's. I never remember seeing interior firefighting without an SCBA

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

we had two scbas when i started ten years ago. i can remember fighting some structure fires with out one. i am glad things have changed and no one enters a building without one. now if only i could get everyone to use the pass device and remember to carry in tools as well.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

MembersZone Subscriber

15 years ago we bought 2 MSAs took a third of our yearly budget, the inside crew would wear them. We have since picked up more SCBAs from big depts. that are upgrading. Not all our FFs have complete sets of gear and they stay back and pull hose or other "outside" jobs. All it takes is money

Forum Member

My current dept wasn't formed until the early 80's so I believe they have always had SCBA (or at least once they moved up from being a group of guys with an old borrowed engine and no real turnouts who squirted water from a distance).
    I've got one picture from my old dept showing a member exiting a house fire with an old MSA BMR, that I believe is from the very late 60's (or at least very early 70's). I remember as a kid (late 70's/early 80's) the trucks had maybe 4-5 Scott 2As each, which in the mid-late 80's turned into a butt-load of 2.2s (now 4.5s). It probably wasn't until the mid-later 80s that they finally started to crack the whip and make people use them inside fires.

Forum Member

I know we had SCBA in the 70's but as to how often they were used that is a different story. I also know when I got on in the 80's we were using then just as we do today, every call, everytime it is applicable.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Sitting in my chair, listening to the scanner while the young kids respond

Smile

My dept. purchased two round bell regulator Scotts in the late 1940s. I can remember as a kid seeing firefighters use them without turn out gear. The guys who returned from world war II were brave I guess.

When I joined the fire dept. in 1965 we still had two round bell regulator Scotts. ( I now own them for my 1955 fire truck) Today the department has modern SCBA for everyone with automatic PASS and a manditory mask rule, even on car fires. I fought many a fire without SCBA and it is much better with it.

Stay Safe.

Pete
    Pete Sinclair
    Hartford, MI
    IACOJ (Retired Division)

Forum Member

I was the first of the "lucky" ones.I think we got our first Scott 1's in about 1962. They were seldom used,most of the fires in that time were surround and drown.When I signed on in 69 at the tender age of 15(with parent's permission)I started training on the units.By the time I was 16-17 I became one of the Depts. first truly "interior"firefighters.This would not be possible or even advisable today,but as shorthanded as we were back then it was perfectly acceptable.We used to have to drive 44 miles one way to get the cylinders refilled,needless to say we finally got a few spares.But when it all started there were two paks and two spare bottles one for each pak.I think it was between 72 and 76 when we built the quantity up to a dozen packs,and in the late 80's got up to our current quota of 30.Those old packs beat breathing smoke,but they don't hold a candle to the new offerings.I'm probably 3" shorter from lugging steel all those years.T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 12-07-2002 at 07:58 PM.

I am a jr with Ferrell. My dad's fire company, Deepwater Fire Company, was established in 1928, and moved to this building in the early 50's. They had a few of the really old and very heavy Scott packs. They still use a big case from one as an older meeting notes case. Not sure of the original date but the last time that pack had been tested was in about 52 or 53.
    Jr FF Ryan Ayares

Thread Information