Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber jsdobson's Avatar

Question Overtime vs Comp time

Have any of your departments used comp time instead of overtime ? If so, did it work ? Any examples (pro or con) would be appreciated.

Thank you,
    Dobber
    BE SAFE
    Before Everything, Stop And First Evaluate

MembersZone Subscriber Engine5FF's Avatar

Everything we do that is required by the department that happens to fall on our days off we get over time for (like EMT refresher). Anything that is for the department but not mandatory (like extra academy classes) that fall on our days off we get comp time. We also have release time for things indirectly pertaining to the department like safety board meetings and certain union functions. This is where if you are working at the time you leave to attend and don't get docked pay but if you attend on a day off, it's all on you.
    "What makes a person run into a building others are running out of?...Character."- Dennis Smith

www.elmirafire.org

Forum Member

Default Overtime/Comp Time

When we work extra hours, we have a choice between being paid overtime or banking comp time. If the extra time worked is emergency call back or in excess of our FLSA 106 hours we can bank comp time at one and one-half times the number of hours worked. The city puts a maximum of 240 hours comp time we can accrue; anything over that is automatically paid out in overtime.

Comp time is nice, if you can use it. We're so short staffed, even when at full strength, it's hard to use vacation/comp time.

All excess hours worked in a pay period are compensated with comp time. We don't get overtime until we reach our limit on comp time, which (I think) is also 240 hours.

HuskerMedic and cozmosis at your retirement do you get to cash in on your comp time or have to use it?
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Up here its called TOILOT Time off in lieu of over time, you can convert it to cash whenever you wish, however if you later want to take the time off you have to do it in a way that does not incur OT, so you can't use it to get Xmas day off

Sort of related to the topic...

I know a guy who recently retired. In the 1970's, the city he worked for decided that OT cost were to high, and offered the IAFF local an unlimited comp time bank.

He took advantage of it.

Every overtime shift, every call in, every class...

Boy, was the city council surprised when they had to cut him a $285,000 comp time check when he retired last year!

(that man is my hero)

Forum Member

Default Comp Time

Sorry so long for the reply...computer crashed and was offline for awhile.

When someone retires or quits from the department, they are still officially on the books until the accumulated vacation/comp time is paid out. They just keep receiving their paychecks as if they had come to work until their time runs out.

Kinda makes for a pain in the butt, as some guys may have several months of comp/vacation built up and their position cannot be filled until it all runs out.

MembersZone Subscriber

WE DO NOT HAVE A CHOICE OF OVERTIME OR COMP TIME, THE DEPARTMENT AND CITY DICTATE WHICH WE WILL GET FOR WHAT.

WE GET OVERTIME PAY AT A 3 HOUR MINIMUM FOR EMERGENCY CALLBACKS, 15 MINUTE INCREMENTS FOR BEING HELD OVER PAST YOUR SHIFT, AND TO BRING MANNING BACK UP TO MINIMUM.

WE GET COMP TIME FOR EVERYTHING ELSE AT AN HOUR FOR HOUR RATE. THIS INCLUDES EMT CLASSES, INSPECTOR CLASSES, MANDATORY LIVE BURN ONCE A YEAR, ETC... THE CLASS MUST BE APPROVED BY THE CHIEF IN ORDER TO GET COMP TIME. YOU CAN'T JUST TAKE ANY CLASS YOU WANT AND GET COMP TIME FOR IT.

COMP TIME CARRIES FROM YEAR TO YEAR BUT WE NEVER GET PAID FOR IT EVEN WHEN YOU RETIRE YOU MUST USE YOUR TIME FIRST. WE CANNOT TAKE COMP TIME IF IT WILL CAUSE OVERTIME AND WE MUST GIVE 72 HOURS NOTICE AND TAKE A MINIMUM OF 4 HOURS.

Question

Quick question, if we are called in for a fire(or emergency) we get double time and a 4 hour minimum, Do most Depts have a similar set up?

MembersZone Subscriber Engine5FF's Avatar

Yes, but our minimum is two hours.
    "What makes a person run into a building others are running out of?...Character."- Dennis Smith

www.elmirafire.org

Forum Member

Just 1-1/2 times and a 1-1/2 hour minumum here.

--spud--

Here we get 4 hours minimum at 1.5 rate.
    Brian

Forum Member

Default Call Backs

Our emergency call backs are minimum two hours, time and one-half, which you can take in pay or comp, whichever you choose.

To the person who says the city chooses whether it's comp or pay: are you in a union? I'm no labor attorney, but I was always told that you cannot be forced to take comp time; also, if the hours worked are over the FLSA stated maximums and are required hours of work, I'm almost positive they must be paid out at time and one-half.

It might be worth talking to someone who knows more than me.

Forum Member

Default OT VS COMP

WE ARE A SMALL DEPT. BUT WE HAVE THE OPTION TO EITHER GET PAID OR GET COMP TIME FOR ANY OVER TIME THAT WE WORK. OUR FULL BANK IS 480 HRS IN OUR COMP TIME. UNLESS THE CITY RUNS OUT OF MONEY THEN THEY WILL AUTOMATICALLY BANK OUR TIME UNLESS YOUR BANK IS FULL THEN THEY WILL PAY YOU. IF YOU HAVE A FULL BANK WHEN YOU RETIRE, QUIT OR GET FIRED THEN THE CITY HAS TO PAY YOU BACK AT YOUR PRESENT PAY RATE.

We get time and a half for emergency recall, sick time,court time and fire investigations, all at a minimum of 4 hours. We have minimum manning in our contract. The city we work for is broke like most cities in New York, so this contract they wanted to reduce our staffing by 1 per shift through layoffs. This would reduce our shifts from 9 with 7 man minimum, to 8 with 6 man minimum. Through negotiations, we were able get a Safety Staffing clause in our contract, allowing us to maintain our 7 man minimum with straight time pay and lose 4 positions through retirements. Our overtime stays the same, but, when we have 2 preschedualed days off, then we have someone come in on straight time to cover the manning. We are just getting started with this. Some people don't mind but some aren't happy. There are 2 departments in New York,that I know of, that have been doing this for some time and are happy with it.

When you get paid overtime the government takes their share, but when you take time off in lieu they don't get their cut. The way I see it if you can bank some time and take it when you want it, you are ahead of the game.

Mike
    These are my views and opinions and do not reflect any of my affiliations.

Unhappy

Used Comp time does not go toward your pension.

Originally posted by Local719
    Used Comp time does not go toward your pension.

Yes it does
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

Correction to my last post..time taken will not show up in your pension ...but if you are paid for the time then it will be reflected in your pension
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

Thread Information