Thread: Walmart

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry Walmart

December 8, 2002

Jenna Portnoy

Reporter for

The Express Times NJ

Dear Jenna:

Regarding the Wal-mart story you did, I am sure if the upper management was NOT aware of this challenge, but if they were there would be a much different solution to this matter. I know The Wal-Mart Corp. is very generous to many groups. They must have company polities regarding employee discounts or the company will run a mock. Maybe bringing this matter to the corporate officers would help.

There are over 1.4 Million firefighters in the USA and 75% are volunteer. And their wifeís and kids as well as friends or supporters of firefighter would put that number way over 7.5 million shoppers. I am sure the Wal-Mart Corp. would not like to lose that customer base 3 weeks before Christmas over $108.00 dollars. They spend a lot of money getting people in there store each year, a lot more than that each year on advertising.

Not to mention firing someone 3 weeks before X-Mass does not show any Holiday sprit on the part of Wal-Mart, or criminal charges. I have seen many post of Fire House Mag.com were firefighters offered to pay the $108.00 dollars for her. As well as the Fire Dept that received the toys.

I am willing to bet if Target Stores, K-Mart, ect. Gets word of this matter. That All Fire Dept. across the country would be inundated with gifts from them just to out due the Retail GIANT of Wal-Mart.

Not to mention the hearts and souls are with the firefighter since 9-11. She was only tiring to do what EVERY body else in the country is doing, supporting Firefighters and now losses her Job. She already has a lot of support on the internet.

I come from a small town in the U.S.A. and like clock work the firefighters are out with Santa visiting kids in schools, shopping centers, hospitals, ect.

I must admit I am bias on this matter; I am one of the 14 million firefighters/shoppers

Sincerely,
    Last edited by Captain12; 12-08-2002 at 10:27 AM.

Forum Member

That was a very nice letter Captain12, but please, spell check it before you send it.

Not to be critical, but it is closer to 1.4 million then 14 million firefighters.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Smile From the Heart!......

Some good points there. I just got motivated to send a letter myself, and, I will c/c a whole string of other people as well. (Mikey, It was 1.4 at the top, then 14 at the bottom.) I always get someone who is more literate than I am to proof read my letters before they go in the mail. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Walmart made over 1.4 billion on Black Friday, you would think for such a charatible cause they could let it slide over the mesely 100?

I know the whole thing centers around a volunteer firefighter, and I'm not trying to start anything, but for members of IAFF Locals:

Walmart is an AFL-CIO black list company, i.e., union members are strongly encouraged not to shop there...Something to consider.

MembersZone Subscriber

This whole thing does NOT center around volunteer fire fighters. It's not about them and it's not about charity.

This whole episode is about employee dishonesty. An individual knowingly violated the established policies of her employer. For this violation, she was terminated. She admitted guilt. She is repaying the stolen amount. Period.

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI

This whole episode is about employee dishonesty. An individual knowingly violated the established policies of her employer. For this violation, she was terminated. She admitted guilt. She is repaying the stolen amount. Period.
    George - Right on the mark!!... as usual.

John

Default One track minds block logic

George was right on the mark. To many of you people have one track minds. Just because something benifits a fire organization does not automatically make it a righteous or proper action. This babe new the rules, she broke them. To bad. As I said in another post. Wal Mart has done plenty for many organizations and provided jobs and income for retirees and school kids. It's NOT A CAREER. Just because this one store canned this woman does not make Wal Mart evil. Some people on these message boards are so wrapped up in this fire thing that they think ANYTHING done for firefighters is ok. I have fought fires for a living for 25 years and I have a life beyond this and think beyond this stuff. Some of you should too. This is like when the IAFF comes around at election time and tells us who to vote for. Or should I say suggests who. Some foolish nodding donkeys will vote for anyone they are told who claims to back firefighters. They could be closet Marxists like that slag Hillary Clinton who our IAFF President panders to. I vote for who I think is best for the country and it's future, not just what is good for FF's. That is called being an independant thinker. Unions leaders hate this. So the same applies to Wal Mart, just because they canned the woman for breaking the rules to help a fire company does not mean they are all bad. Rules
    are rules. So get over it already !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: One track minds block logic

Originally posted by Deputynick
    George was right on the mark. To many of you people have one track minds. Just because something benifits a fire organization does not automatically make it a righteous or proper action. This babe new the rules, she broke them. To bad. As I said in another post. Wal Mart has done plenty for many organizations and provided jobs and income for retirees and school kids. It's NOT A CAREER. Just because this one store canned this woman does not make Wal Mart evil. Some people on these message boards are so wrapped up in this fire thing that they think ANYTHING done for firefighters is ok. I have fought fires for a living for 25 years and I have a life beyond this and think beyond this stuff. Some of you should too. This is like when the IAFF comes around at election time and tells us who to vote for. Or should I say suggests who. Some foolish nodding donkeys will vote for anyone they are told who claims to back firefighters. They could be closet Marxists like that slag Hillary Clinton who our IAFF President panders to. I vote for who I think is best for the country and it's future, not just what is good for FF's. That is called being an independant thinker. Unions leaders hate this. So the same applies to Wal Mart, just because they canned the woman for breaking the rules to help a fire company does not mean they are all bad. Rules
    are rules. So get over it already !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I love you man!

Jakes, I detect a new member among us.

Walmart is an AFL-CIO black list company, i.e., union members are strongly encouraged not to shop there...Something to consider.
    Well, the AFL - CIO and the IAFF do not have to put food on my table or keep teh green in my bank account. If I can save $20 or $30 on a trip to Wally World over some other store then I am going to do it thank you very much. Since I was laid off as a union FF this year my money has become even more important to keep since taxes keep on escalating.

If it is "Black list" company then something has gone wrong. Take a spin through a praking lot at Wal - Mart and you tell me how many vehicles you see with an IAFF, FOP, Ironfitters, Electricians, or Plumbers union sticker on it. Someone isn't getting the message out here folks.

Now if a union wants to try every tactic in the book sneaky, legal, illegal, or otherwise, then a company should be able to fight it tooth and nail as Wal - Mart does. This is part of a free - market economy. If unions come into Wal - Mart or any grocery store in America, then I can pretty much guarantee that the prices in these store are going to go up because it will cost more to operate the company - and take more money out of my already thin wallet.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber

$108 or $10800---that's not the point. The point is she stole from the company and agreed to pay the money back, which is an admission of guilt.

I'm glad some of you are ready to go to bat for the fire service on this one, but your missing the point here. Anyway, the VFD in the story still got the goods and benifited from them, so where's the issue?
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

Veteran Member

Alright... First off, Walmart is HUGE! Boycotting them at one store will not effect them. Another thing, not to hurt Jenna but I live in Walmart Country (HQ). And have worked for them. Walmart makes it clear during orientation that you do not use your discount card for anyone but family. And I have to agree with SilverCity4.

Walmart is big on "policy" I don't think she will get her job back. As for Walmart and donations, they are one of the most charitable organizations in the land. I guarantee if Jenna had asked her store to possibly donate the toys. They would have. I have seen this first hand.

For you that are vollies and work for Walmart. Check with your store, distribution center, or trucking. Walmart will donate a certain amount of money to the volunteer dept. that you are associated with. There is also no restrictions on the number of volunteers that work for Walmart.

Now I am not banging on the drum of thier band wagon. I do not believe in all there practices. But I do appreciate thier charitability.

Default TruroFAO

Hey, listen, yo.

I wasn't tellin you or anyone else what to do. If you or Nick gots a problem with the AFL-CIO or it's affiliates, maybe you oughta join the Teamsters. I was just makin the statement that Walmart is an AFL-CIO blacklisted company, like so many others. If union people choose to go to these places, thats on them. I dont blame you or anyone else for looking out for number one. But by the same token, I expect you to fall on your sword- you would have no room to gripe when the IAFF is weak, corrupted, or unable to secure a job position, contract stipulations, or any other benefits earned by collective bargaining.

I'm not bashing, and I truly express sympathy for your situation; its not something I would wish on anyone. My general point here is (and this has nothing to do with the dishonest volunteer) that if, as a union member, a person shops at these stores marked as black-list, they weaken their stance long term. If a person is unhappy with their local's or union's direction as Nick seems to be, they should either: take a more proactive role in their union, or, leave the union. Then they can shop wherever they want. Until then, you ain't got nuthin to say about Harold's head being up Hillary's ***.

Originally posted by Da Sharkie

Well, the AFL - CIO and the IAFF do not have to put food on my table or keep teh green in my bank account. If I can save $20 or $30 on a trip to Wally World over some other store then I am going to do it thank you very much. Since I was laid off as a union FF this year my money has become even more important to keep since taxes keep on escalating.

If it is "Black list" company then something has gone wrong. Take a spin through a praking lot at Wal - Mart and you tell me how many vehicles you see with an IAFF, FOP, Ironfitters, Electricians, or Plumbers union sticker on it. Someone isn't getting the message out here folks.

Now if a union wants to try every tactic in the book sneaky, legal, illegal, or otherwise, then a company should be able to fight it tooth and nail as Wal - Mart does. This is part of a free - market economy. If unions come into Wal - Mart or any grocery store in America, then I can pretty much guarantee that the prices in these store are going to go up because it will cost more to operate the company - and take more money out of my already thin wallet.

Point well taken from the man from Ohio. I dont shop at Wal Mart for several reasons that dont have a thing to do with the AFL-CIO...

Just a little update. Seems Wal Mart was found guilty in Federal court for violating workers rights by not paying them overtime. Great American company.You always end up paying more in the long run
    Last edited by MIKEYLIKESIT; 12-21-2002 at 08:37 PM.

Thread Information