1. #26
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2001

    Default ATV plunges thru ice - 2 rescued, IL


    Two Men Rescued After ATV Falls Through Ice On Lake

    December 27, 2002
    ORLAND PARK, Ill. -- Firefighters rescued two men whose all-terrain vehicles fell through an iced-over lake in a south suburban forest preserve Thursday.
    Both men, ages 37 and 39, were treated for hypothermia. One man was treated and released. The other remained hospitalized and was listed in serious condition Thursday night.
    Fire officials got a 911 call about the accident shortly after 8 p.m., Orland Park Fire Chief Tom Grossman said.
    Grossman said the two were riding ATVs on Turtlehead Lake, at 135th and Harlem Avenue, when they fell through ice that was about two inches thick.
    Onlookers helped pull the men out of the lake.
    "It was not smart for these guys to do this," Grossman said.

  2. #27
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2001

    Default Mother & child pulled from lake after snowmobile plunges thru ice, IL


    Emergency crews pull people from frozen lake

    December 27, 2002 (Wauconda, IL) — Rescue crews say two accidents should serve as a warning about venturing onto ice-covered waters. Emergency crews had to rescue four people in two separate incidents after they fell through thin ice.
    A fisherman and ice skater pulled a woman and her child out of Lake Bangs in Wauconda, Illinois, after their snowmobile plunged through the frozen over lake. Both were treated at the scene.
    "The wife and child decided to go for a little snowmobile ride and they were turning around to come back and they hit a little soft ice and sank and luckily we heard the screams fast enough, took another snowmobile over there, got the -- she was holding the child up. Grabbed her fast and then some other people ran over on ice skates and with some ropes and we had my wife back out in about another minute," said Mike Salisbury, woman's husband.
    Two men on ATV's went through the ice at Turtle Head Lake. They were rescued by bystanders.

    Meanwhile, in southwest suburban Palos Park, two men on ATV's went through the ice at Turtle Head Lake. They were rescued by bystanders. One is in fair condition, suffering from hypothermia. The other was released from the hospital overnight. Park districts around the area have warning signs posted around lakes and ponds.

    NOTE: Video clips will only be available for 10-days from the date they were created.

  3. #28
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2001

    Default 3 Boys rescued from Copper Creek, IO


    Teens Fall Through Ice At Copper Creek

    December 30, 2002

    Des Moine, IO - The icy waters of a local lake almost swallowed three teens today. Thankfully, help got to them just in time. Police say three teenage boys were playing on the ice above Copper Creek in Pleasant Hill today about 200 feet from shore when they fell
    through. Ironically, a Pleasant Hill police officer, there to tell the boys to get
    off the ice, saw it happen and called for help. Pleasant Hill firefighters rushed to the water's edge and were able to bring two of them in right away with just throw bags. But in order to get the third teen out, firefighters had to break a pathway through the ice for their boat, and one man actually had to jump in and pull the boy out.
    Sgt. Dennis Sorensen of the Pleasant Hill Police Department said the boys were probably going to be okay. We confirmed that at least one of them was treated and released from the hospital.
    The firefighters were ready for just this type of rescue. Just a couple weeks ago, Kevin Mienke of the Pleasant Hill Fire Department mentioned to his crew that the ice conditions were just right for something like this to happen. Sure enough, he said, it was just enough ice that kids get enough confidence to think they can go out there. Mienke says even when does it gets cold, and the layer of ice is thicker on Copper Creek, you should still steer clear of walking on it, because its fast current and deep waters make it dangerous.
    "He who saves a single life, is said to have saved the entire world." TM

  4. #29
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2001

    Default Man rescued from ice covered lake, NY


    Rescuers Save Man Who Fell Through Thin Ice on Park Lake in Brooklyn

    December 31, 2002

    A Brooklyn man walking on thin ice in a Prospect Park lake fell through yesterday, leading to a rescue that involved parks personnel, a police helicopter, fire trucks and detectives in scuba gear.
    The man, identified by the police as Kenneth Grasso, 24, was treated and released at Kings County Hospital Center for what his rescuers described as severe hypothermia after being trapped in Prospect Park Lake for more than 30 minutes.
    "When I got to him, he had no strength left at all," said Detective Thomas Kelly, a police rescue specialist who managed to free Mr. Grasso from the ice after falling through himself.
    It was the first ice rescue in a city park in three years, the police said, and it occurred in a lake that is unusually dangerous because of its depth. Although he was less than 100 feet from shore in a narrow channel between the Wollman Rink and Terrace Bridge, Mr. Grasso found himself foundering in about 10 feet of water, the police said.
    Adrian Benepe, the city parks commissioner, said last night that the incident underscored the danger of walking on ice in city parks, which is prohibited unless department signs are posted indicating that the ice is safe for skaters.
    Prospect Park Lake has more than 70 signs that read "Danger — Thin Ice" surrounding it, he said. "People simply shouldn't walk on any ice," Mr. Benepe said. "We do our best to keep them out of harm's way, but we still have to count on people's common sense and sense of self-preservation."
    The authorities said park workers first noticed Mr. Grasso walking on the Prospect Park Lake channel shortly before 3 p.m. with a woman and several children. The others in his group were closer to shore than Mr. Grasso was when he fell through. They escaped harm, the police said.
    A group of park workers were among the first to respond, including Luther Weir, who attempted unsuccessfully to rescue Mr. Grasso by attaching a rope to one of several rescue ladders that are stationed around the lake. Mr. Grasso groped helplessly in a hole in the ice that grew to a diameter of 10 feet. .
    A police helicopter proved of little use when it became clear that it could not descend enough without further endangering Mr. Grasso by blowing ice toward him, said Detective Keith Duval, a police scuba specialist who accompanied Detective Kelly.
    By then, with Mr. Grasso almost motionless in the water, Detective Duval said, Detective Kelly crawled toward Mr. Grasso over the perilously thin ice. But he fell in with Mr. Grasso as the ice gave way.
    Detective Kelly managed to tie a rope to Mr. Grasso, however, and as Detective Duval pulled the rope, Detective Kelly pushed toward shore, breaking away ice in his path until the two rescuers were able to hoist Mr. Grasso to safety, the police said.
    "He who saves a single life, is said to have saved the entire world." TM

  5. #30
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2001

    Default Mother dies attempting to rescue her son and daughter


    Mother dies after trying to rescue teens from ocean

    January 1, 2003, 12:41 PM
    PORTLAND, MA (AP) -- A Massachusetts woman who jumped into the surf off Reid State Park to save her son and daughter has died, according to the Coast Guard.
    Officials said Patricia Taylor of Groton, Mass. went into the icy water in her jeans and Polar fleece top late Tuesday afternoon when her teenage children got caught in strong beach currents while surfing.
    The incident unfolded at 4:30 p.m. at Reid State Park in Georgetown. The three, along with two emergency response rescuers from the Georgetown Fire Department, ended up being carried away by the current.
    A 43-foot rescue boat made its way to the scene in choppy seas and poor visibility to pluck all five out of the water.
    The skipper, Chad Johnson, said Taylor was unconscious and that emergency medical technicians were unable to get a response.
    The 51-year-old woman was taken to a Brunswick hospital before being transferred to the Maine Medical Center in Portland, where she died. Her children, a 16-year-old boy and a 15-year-old girl, were treated and released from the Brunswick hospital.
    "He who saves a single life, is said to have saved the entire world." TM

  6. #31
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2001

    Default Risk/Benefit?


    Deer Pulled From Lake In Frederick Co.

    Three Rescued; One Deer Died From Hypothermia, Exhaustion

    December 31, 2002

    NEW MARKET, Md. -- Rescue workers in Frederick County were able to save three deer that fell through the ice as they crossed Lake Linganore. But a fourth died of hypothermia and exhaustion.
    Three other deer managed to get to the shore on their own.
    The seven deer fell through the ice around 1:00 p.m. Monday. A resident saw the deer and called for help.

    Animal Control officers and rescuers from the New Market and Carroll Manor fire companies brought boats to help pull the deer out. It was the maiden voyage for the New Market fire company's water rescue boat.
    The three rescued deer were released after crews rubbed them to revive them.
    Stay with TheWBALChannel.com and 11 News for the latest news updates.
    "He who saves a single life, is said to have saved the entire world." TM

  7. #32
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2001

    Default Two possibly dead after pickup falls through ice


    Two People in Pickup Truck Fall Through Ice

    January 5, 2003

    Oconto County, WI
    Brazeau, - 14-year-old boy and a 22-year-old man were taken to a hospital Saturday night after the pickup truck they were riding in went through the ice on a lake in Oconto County.
    Witnesses say they saw the pickup truck sink quickly into Rost Lake in the town of Brazeau, which is west of Coleman, around three o'clock in the afternoon. The Eagle III rescue helicopter and dive teams were called to the scene.
    The sheriff's department says the two were underwater for more than 45 minutes. They weren't breathing and didn't have a pulse.
    They were taken to Bay Area Medical Center in Marinette. Authorities aren't releasing the victims' names or conditions until relatives have been notified.
    We talked with several neighbors who spoke with friends and a brother of the victims just after the accident. We were told the five go hunting together and were going to the lake to go ice fishing on a lake they don't visit too often, and they didn't know the ice was so thin.
    Those who responded to the emergency call say the ice deceptively looks frozen on some areas, with people ice fishing there.
    "This is why you keep hearing on TV, stay off the ice," Brazeau assistant fire chief Dod Duddeck said. "You don't know the lake, if you think the lake is frozen over, you drive over the lake, and this is what happens."
    Some neighbors tell us this isn't neccessarily a case of ignorance. They say they've never seen open water on the lake like this at this time of year.
    Besides that, neighbors say the men involved in the accident come up here at least once a year to go ice fishing and should know the lake well.
    "It was open but then it freezes and then it looks just like the regular ice, a little darker, not up here, you're not going to know. You'll drive on there and never know," neighbor Jenny Herzog said.
    "He who saves a single life, is said to have saved the entire world." TM

  8. #33
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2001

    Default Mother dies attempting cold surf rescue


    Kids' surfing excursion ends tragically for Groton mom

    Lowell Sun Staff

    Thursday, January 02, 2003 - GEORGETOWN, Maine Having surfed the winter breakers that pound the mid-Maine coast dozens of times before, siblings Chris and Karen Roberts of Groton entered the 42-degree water late Tuesday afternoon well-prepared, wearing wetsuits, hoods and gloves.But when the teens became separated and pulled farther out to sea by unusually strong currents, their panicked-stricken parents watching on the shoreline in street clothes reacted instinctively. Within minutes, their mother, 51-year-old Patricia Taylor found herself in the water, floating on a surfboard alongside her daughter as rescuers tried in vain to reach them both.A little less than an hour later, Taylor, the teens and two would-be rescuers were pulled from the waters by the Coast Guard. Taylor was unconscious, having been overcome by the icy temperatures. Efforts to revive her were unsuccessful, and she was declared dead a short time later at a local hospital. Yesterday, Kenneth Roberts and his two children were back in their Wyman Road home, still trying to piece together the swirling chain of events that led to the death of their wife and mother. Kenneth Roberts initially told investigators that his wife had jumped into the water in an attempt to rescue the teens. But he said his daughter who floated on the surfboard with her still-conscious mother for the better part of an hour said Taylor told her she had slipped from an outcropping of rocks. "I wish I could tell you more but there were no actual witnesses to her going into the water and things spiraled out of control quickly after that," he said this morning.The incident occurred at about 4:30 p.m., in the twilight on New Year's Eve at Reid State Park, a scenic slice of rocky headlands, sand and pine trees at the end of a finger of land not far from Boothbay Harbor. At low tide, as was the case Tuesday, the depth of the ocean where the waves break was only several feet, Roberts said, which normally makes it a pretty safe place to ride the waves. But on this day, a strong current and six-foot waves began dragging them farther from shore.Panicking, Taylor climbed up a small outcropping to get her daughter's attention when she suddenly found herself in the water, Roberts said. Unable to climb back on the rocks, Taylor, wearing only jeans and a fleece top, swam to her daughter and the surfboard, a distance of about 25 yards. Resisting urges to be "foolishly heroic," Roberts said he ran to a nearby rangers hut to get help.Mother and daughter floated on the board together while the current kept them from shore. "She was in the water the better part of an hour before she lost consciousness," Roberts said of his wife.A rescue crew from the Georgetown Fire Department was on the scene in minutes.Two firefighters in full wetsuits climbed into a small rescue craft and headed out into the choppy sea, but the waves soon capsized their boat. The firefighters managed to use a life-saving board to reach Taylor and the teens, but they also could not fight their way against the strong current, authorities said. "I had great hopes the firefighters would be able to bring them in," said Roberts.Coast Guard personnel in South Portland got the call for help from rangers at the park shortly after 4:40 p.m., said Coast Guard Chief Jay Woodhead.With a Coast Guard station in Boothbay Harbor just a short distance away, a 47-foot rescue boat headed southwest to the scene. With visibility down to 50 yards or less on rough seas, it took rescuers about 25 minutes to reach the scene; it took another 20 minutes before the five victims had been pulled from the water, authorities said. Taylor was unconscious when pulled onto the rescue boat. Authorities estimated she had been in the water about 50 minutes."In water that cold a person can survive no more than an hour without the proper gear," Woodhead said.Taylor was taken with the others to Mid Coast Hospital in Brunswick and later transferred to Maine Medical Center, where she was pronounced dead."She suffered acute hypothermia," said Roberts, referring to the clinical state when the body is unable to generate sufficient heat to maintain functions.The others were treated and released from the Brunswick hospital.Roberts and Taylor are both software engineers at EDS Corp. in Nashua. The family has owned property near Boothbay Harbor for nearly two decades.Over the years, Chris, a sophomore at Groton-Dunstable Regional High School, and Karen, a freshman at Lawrence Academy, had become quite proficient at riding the waves. Reid State Park is one of the family's favorite spots to surf. "They had wonderful (wetsuits) and the proper equipment," Roberts said of his children. Woodhead said other Coast Guard rescuers suspect a strong undertow kept the victims from getting back to shore."It must have been very strong because they weren't too far out," Woodhead said.
    Christopher Scott's e-mail address is cscott@lowellsun.com .
    "He who saves a single life, is said to have saved the entire world." TM

  9. #34
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2001

    Default Man dies after car falls through ice, MN


    Jan. 05, 2003

    Man dies after car falls into ice

    THIN ICE:Rescue workers will continue looking today for the body in the St. Louis River.


    DULUTH,MN - Rescue workers called off an attempt to recover the body of a person in the St. Louis River minutes after seeing the body with an underwater camera late in the cold twilight Saturday.
    Rescue divers couldn't make it to the body in the dim light, said Douglas County Sheriff Richard Pukema.
    "We had a camera visual on the body," Pukema said. But the visual distortion caused by water slowed divers down enough that they had to call off the recovery effort without success.
    Pukema said rescuers will continue looking today.
    The decision to stop the recovery shortly before 5 p.m. ended a frenzied rescue started by a description of a lone car sinking through the ice on the St. Louis River.
    The call came shortly after noon from a woman in the Riverside neighborhood, said Sgt. Gordon Ramsay of the Duluth Police Department.
    Ramsey said the woman said she saw a car on the ice on the river in the distance. Then she saw it stopped and a person on the hood.
    Surprised, she went to get her binoculars. The person and the car were gone when she returned, Ramsay said.
    A faint set of tire tracks could still be seen a few hours later on the ice near Spirit Lake Marine, a marina off Spring Street.
    The tracks curved gently along a pressure ridge in the river's ice, which in turn curved into a deep channel with a current that in the summer is marked with buoys between shore and Clough Island.
    Duluth Fire Department rescuers were first to reach the spot where the vehicle broke through.
    "We found a big hole and the strong odor of gas," said Bryan Bushey, assistant fire chief.
    Fire Department rescuers in survival suits were in the water quickly, he said, but were unable to find the body.
    The accident happened where a peculiarity of geography brought Wisconsin authorities into the rescue effort.
    The Wisconsin border goes over the St. Louis River near the marina. The end of the marina's piers and Tallus Island, which is a few yards off the Minnesota shore, are in Wisconsin.
    Pukema said authorities decided to keep St. Louis County rescue squads working on the recovery because they had already responded and had better equipment for such rescues.
    The U.S. Coast Guard and Douglas County emergency and rescue squads also were on the scene.
    For a couple of hours, yellow-suited rescuers swam in the water and probed the bottom with long wooden poles with hooks on the ends.
    Meanwhile, people skated and drove ATVs by the site to enjoy the rare combination of glare ice with no snow.
    One group completed a skate from Fond-du-Lac as the rescue effort was under way.
    Because of the vague report and lack of a positive identification on the vehicle, authorities do not know the identity of the victim.
    ************************************************** ***************
    Story 2


    1 Dies in St. Louis River Ice Accident

    Kandi Klamm
    KDLH TV news

    A person is dead after a car breaks through the thin ice over the Saint Louis River.
    It happened around Noon on Saturday.
    Douglas County Authorities say an eyewitness called 911 after seeing a car sink into the lake, and a person struggling – and failing -- to get out.
    Cold water rescue crews joined emergency responders from both Saint Louis and Douglas Counties.
    A couple hours later, the car was spotted in 29 feet of water.
    Just before five, a diver spotted a body lying at the river bottom.
    That’s when the search was called off.
    It was too dark to continue the efforts to pull up the body and the car.
    More divers and special equipment will be brought in Sunday morning.
    Crews hope to begin recovery efforts at about 11:00 a.m.
    The ice on the St. Louis River is 6 inches thick or less.
    The Department of Natural Resources warns ice that thin is not safe to drive on.
    "He who saves a single life, is said to have saved the entire world." TM

  10. #35
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2001

    Default Dispute over rescue effort at Turtlehead Lake settled


    Fire chief says 911 tapes discredit two witnesses

    Sunday, January 5, 2003

    By Kati Phillips
    Staff writer

    Orland, IL - Orland Fire Protection District officials, stung by criticism that rescue crews botched a recent emergency call to Turtlehead Lake, released 911 call records to show they responded appropriately. Fire Chief Robert Buhs said the tape discredits two witnesses who criticized emergency crews for standing in the parking lot of a Cook County Forest Preserve debating jurisdiction rather than rescuing two men who had fallen into the lake.Five Orland fire district crews were dispatched to the scene Dec. 26 and the tapes show that none of them debated who should take the call, Buhs said.Witnesses were correct when they reported seeing men with the ambulances and fire trucks in the parking lot, but they did not realize the vehicles were not equipped to go over the concrete curb and lacked four-wheel drive to maneuver in the snow, he said. Five rescue workers were making their way to the accident scene on foot by the time bystanders had pulled the two men from the water, he said.Buhs played tapes of the 911 calls and communication between the men and the dispatch center for a reporter Friday. He was accompanied by a battalion chief and a member of the fire district's board of trustees."We want to defend these guys because they were doing their job," board member Cynthia Nelson Katsenes said. "Everyday, these guys save people's lives. (Waiting around) flies against their common sense and training. If anything, you have to hold them back."Witnesses Mark Temple of Palos Heights and Patrick Connelly of Palos Park questioned the department's response to the accident last week.Both saw Brian Duggan of Palos Heights ride his all-terrain vehicle across the lake and break through the ice, and watched as his friend, Charles Dunnigan of Chicago Ridge, fell in trying to save him. Temple also fell in during a rescue attempt, but was able to pull himself out. Connelly drove a snowmobile to a nearby house, and he and another man used a rope to pull Duggan and Dunnigan to safety.Records show five rescue crews were dispatched to the lake at 8:14 p.m., about one minute after a dispatcher from the Cook County Sheriff's Department received a call about people in the lake. That call was broken off because of a bad connection, he said.By 8:20 p.m., five firefighters and divers, including one in an ice rescue suit, were running to the scene, about a quarter- to a half-mile from the parking lot, records show.Four minutes later, an officer from Engine 2 reported the two men were out of the water and were being transported in a truck by a bystander to the ambulances in the parking area, records show.Temple and Connelly said they saw the rescue workers in the parking lot and en route to the lake, but charge they did not help in the rescue. Temple delivered a letter critical of the district's response to the Orland Park Village Board Friday, according to his wife, Karen. He says the trustees should advise emergency crews to jump curbs and drive to accident scenes.The Orland Park Fire District is an independent government unit that covers Orland Park, Orland Hills and parts of Orland Township. It is not funded by and does not answer to the village board.Buhs said the department does not have any four-wheel drive vehicles, and on occasion has had to use forest preserve bike paths or to commandeer private vehicles to get to a rescue scene.In hindsight, Buhs said it would have been good if a witness had met the emergency crews in the parking lot to direct them to the scene."If a guy on a snowmobile had picked us up in the parking lot, that would've been helpful," he said.Had the sheriff's department been able to keep the first caller on the line longer, the dispatcher may have requested that type of help, Buhs said. Other 911 calls were logged at 8:14 p.m., 8:16 p.m. and 8:19 p.m., placed by people who were not at the lake's edge. One caller said a friend at the lake asked him to call for help. Karen Temple called from her home after her husband called her on his cell phone. Buhs and Katsenes said there isn't money in the district budget to buy a four-wheel drive vehicle."How do you justify buying a vehicle you might only use once a year," Buhs said.
    "He who saves a single life, is said to have saved the entire world." TM

  11. #36
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2001

    Default Farmer presumed dead after fall thru ice, MA


    Divers Search Pond For Missing Farmer
    Man May Have Tried To Help Cow

    January 7, 2003

    BRIDGEWATER, Mass. -- Crews are searching a retention pond in Bridgewater for missing farmer John Zaro, who was last seen on Sunday.
    NewsCenter 5's Rhondella Richardson said that a dog brought to the scene to help rescuers picked up a scent Tuesday morning.
    "Since he was last seen, yeah it's going on a couple of days, I am doing OK," Zaro's brother, Mark, said.
    The Zaro family is preparing for the worst.
    "They concentrated on the pond because there were hoof marks down there and there was recent breakage of the ice," Zaro's sister-in-law, Frances, said. "(It would be hard to get out) because of the clay bottom and the amount of clothes he would be wearing -- they don't think it would be a possibility."
    A neighbor said that he heard a man yelling on Sunday.
    "It was on the perimeter of this body of water," Bridgewater Fire Department Chief Roderick Walsh said.
    Officials think that Zaro, 55, was trying to help a troubled cow that may have fallen through the ice.
    "He was pretty good a lassoeing, and he could have been trying to pull it in that way," Mark Zaro said. "Whether he went in after it, again, for his cows he would spare nothing."
    ************************************************** ****
    Story 2


    Search Suspended For Missing Farmer
    Cold Weather Forces Divers Out Of Pond

    January 7, 2003
    BRIDGEWATER, Mass. -- The search for a missing Bridgewater farmer turned frustrating and disappointing Tuesday.
    NewsCenter 5's Rhondella Richardson said that crews used search dogs and an airboat to comb a pond on the farm property leased by 55-year-old John Zaro. The search had to be suspended when the cold temperatures posed a threat to divers.
    "I've had a lot of people call and ask what they can do. All we can really do is pray," Zaro's sister-in-law, Frances, said.

    Zaro was last seen on Sunday afternoon. Officials think that Zaro may have went into the pond after one of his cows.
    "When we first went to the area yesterday, we noticed flail marks on the ice. They would not be from an animal," Bridgewater Fire Department Chief Roderick Walsh said.
    "He was tied to the land -- season by season," Zaro's brother, Mark, said.
    Three-square miles were searched on and around the pond and farm where Zaro lives. Dogs signiled a scent from the wate, but divers had to be pulled out because of the weather.
    "They detected a scent, but the (body) could be a distance from that particular point," Walsh said.
    Officials plan to pump the water out of the pond and start again Wednesday.
    "I am impressed by the effort. It's a tragedy, most likely, for me and my family. I know that they are doing the best that they can to recover the body. It will be another sleepless night," Zaro's brother, Paul, said.
    "He who saves a single life, is said to have saved the entire world." TM

  12. #37
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2001

    Default Survivor recalls recovery after fall into icy river


    Survivor Recalls Recovery After Fall Into Icy River

    By Jerry Burke
    Colin Deeg appreciates how lucky he is. He was dead when he was pulled from the icy Fox River eleven years ago.
    "I just remember me and my friend going out there and then I woke up in the hospital," says Deeg.
    That's all he remembers from Valentine's Day, 1992, when he fell into the Fox. He was under the ice for 20 minutes before rescue crews pulled him from the river.
    Doctors said he had one huge advantage when hypothermia shut his body down, and that was his age.
    "Children have a very strong heart. It's usually respiratory problems that they will arrest in first," Ruth Wulgaert said.
    Wulgaert was part of the medical team that worked on Deeg when he arrived at St. Elizabeth's Hospital in Appleton.
    "The thing I remember the most was the fact that he was so cold, just like an ice cube, when we were touching him, and wherever we worked on him, we were freezing also because he was so terribly cold," she said.
    Slowly, Deeg's body was warmed. To the medical staff's delight, the then-nine-year-old recovered. Medical personnel call Deeg their "miracle patient."
    Now, at age 20, Deeg has no residual effects.
    "I think it's a lot of luck. Like, I joke around about having nine lives and all that for the longest time, and I believe it, too."
    Deeg says he still goes out on the ice but he is extra careful. "If I see people driving on it, I'll go on it. Otherwise, I won't be the first person any more."
    He also says there's no way he'll go on any ice the way the weather's been this winter.
    "He who saves a single life, is said to have saved the entire world." TM

  13. #38
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2001

    Default Two snowmobilers die in icy plunge, NH


    Two Die In Thin-Ice Incident
    Officials Say To Avoid Larger Lakes

    January 7, 2003

    MEREDITH, N.H. -- Two snowmobile drivers died after falling through the ice on Kezar Lake Tuesday afternoon.
    Rescuers came to the aid of four men who had plunged into the icy water just across the border in Lovell, Maine.
    The two others are in the hospital. The victims' names are not being released until their families are notified.

    The incident is the latest ice-related emergency in the state. Since Sunday, there have been reports of at least a dozen snowmobiles through ice in the Lakes Region.
    Scott Porter was riding to work Tuesday morning with Jim Bourdon, driving snowmobiles out to Whortleberry Island on Lake Winnipesaukee to survey a job. Their commute came to an abrupt stop when their two sleds went through a thin, slushy area of ice near Little Bear Island.
    "It just turned to slush," Porter said. "It was safe, and then it wasn't safe."
    Both men got out of the water and crawled to shore, where they called for help. They said their mistake was going too far out on the lake.
    The thin ice is a problem in many areas. Sunday, three snowmobiles went through ice in Laconia on Paugus Bay. Officials said 2 to 3 feet of snow on top of the ice is insulating it. Their message is to stay off the bigger lakes.
    "It's going to take even longer to freeze them," Laconia Fire Chief Ken Erickson said. "The cold air has to go through 3, 4 feet of snow to get to the water, chill the water, then the water has to come back up and form ice."
    Officials said the ice on smaller lakes and ponds is a lot safer right now, because they've been frozen for a while, and many were frozen before the new snow fell.
    "He who saves a single life, is said to have saved the entire world." TM

  14. #39
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2001

    Default Indiana man survives icy incident


    Ice accident turns out fortunate for local man

    By ROBIN R. PLASTERER Staff Writer

    January 06, 2003

    When Joe Kelsey fell through the ice into 10 feet of water, it seemed like an eternity as he hung onto the broken edge at his rural Columbia City home. But when he heard the sirens coming his direction, a calmness came over him. He knew help was on the way.
    Kelsey fell through the ice at his pond in Columbia Township on Sunday afternoon.
    He had been out on the frozen pond just 50 yards from his house with his two grandsons visiting from Michigan.
    "They had a plastic sled and were playing on the edge of the pond. I was there too and it seemed safe and frozen. They asked if they could go out farther and I told them 'yes'. Pretty soon they came running back. They had heard the ice crack and knew it was dangerous," Kelsey said.
    "I didn't think anything of it as the ice was cracking the entire time. The boys went on shore, and I took two steps to retrieve the sled. All at once it collapsed and down I went," he said.
    Kelsey had fallen into 10 feet of ice-cold water. He hung onto the ice and never went under.
    "I told the oldest to go get his grandma and their mother. I was fortunate the boys were there. If I had been alone no one would have noticed (my being gone) for hours," he said.
    At one point Kelsey had pulled himself out but the ice broke and he went back into the icy water and waited.
    Soon after the boys went to get help Kelsey head sirens. Within seven minutes the Whitley County EMS, Columbia Township Volunteer Fire Department and Whitley County Sheriff Mike Schrader were on the scene for the rescue.
    "I live four miles out of Columbia City. The emergency personnel got there quick. I am forever thankful for that," he said.
    "I don't know who all came but there were a lot of them. They were so fast in their response," Kelsey said.
    Emergency rescuers threw him a rope and pulled him in.
    "I held onto the rope but the ice began hurting my chest. It was like glass hitting my chest," he said.
    Soon the rescuers threw him a board and he climbed on and they pulled him to safety. Kelsey spent about 15 minutes in the water according to police reports.
    Kelsey was cold, nearly frozen and the rescuers warmed him in the EMS. They drove him to his home and wrapped him in a warm blanket.
    After he was in dry clothes they checked him out.
    "They helped me and I appreciate it. I warmed up in a lukewarm bath and it took quite a while," he said.
    Kelsey's advice for others going out in the ice.
    "I've been involved with the Boy Scouts for 40 years and this is one thing we study. Make sure it's safe before you go out on the ice. Never go out alone and make sure you take something to help with rescue such as a rope or a ladder," he said.
    "The boys felt guilty for leaving the sled out there. They felt so bad. But I told them the sled is never that important to risk a life to get it and that it was my fault," he said.
    "He who saves a single life, is said to have saved the entire world." TM

  15. #40
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2001

    Default Airboat used in ice rescues after hovercraft fleet sinks, WI


    Thin ice proving deadly in area
    Three deaths, serious injuries highlight dangers

    John Lee
    Post-Crescent staff writer

    Jan. 06, 2003
    Winnegago Co, WI - A 44-year-old Tustin man died early today at Mercy Medical Center in Oshkosh, about 12 hours after he was pulled from the west end of Lake Poygan. His identity was withheld pending the notification of relatives.
    At least three other people escaped serious injury when their snowmobiles went through the ice Sunday on two area lakes, authorities said. Winnebago County sheriff’s Lt. Mike Jones said the Tustin man did not have a pulse, was not breathing and was suffering from “severe hypothermia,” when he was pulled from the lake by rescuers on the Omro-Rushford Fire Department airboat.
    Jones said the man apparently had been in the water for about 15 minutes, and underwater for about four minutes.“He either hit open water or thin ice. We don’t know for sure,” Jones said. Jones said the man was found in five to seven feet of water. After being alerted by neighbors, Norman Lee and his sons, Perry and Colin, used their airboat to reach the man, who was about two miles offshore from Captain’s Cove, 9598 Welsch Road, Winneconne, a bar on Lake Poygan. The call for help came in at 1:11 p.m.“Perry got behind him and I put my arms around him and pulled him up the front of the boat. He had a pulse, but he wasn’t breathing,” said Colin Lee, who is a first responder for the Winneconne-Poygan Fire District. The two Lee brothers then performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation.

    Jones said indications are the man was alone.“We were able to get his pulse back, but we couldn’t get him back to breathing on his own,” said Colin Lee. “We couldn’t get all of the water out of his lungs.”

    In the Oconto County accident, the Ebben brothers apparently were ice fishing. The Oconto County Sheriff’s Department said they were underwater for about 45 minutes.They were pulled from the truck by divers from County Rescue Services, who were sent to the lake with the Eagle III rescue helicopter about 3:20 p.m. Saturday.

    Oconto County Coroner Laurie Parisey said the deaths will be listed as cold water drownings. She said Alan Ebben reportedly had been skating on the lake earlier, and several people saw their vehicle sink. “There wasn’t any ice, but they (the victims) didn’t realize it. It was real tragic,” Parisey said. People familiar with northeastern Wisconsin lakes said people should use caution, since some of the ice is thinner than normal this year because of mild weather.

    Gary Nelson, owner of Captain’s Cove, said ice on that lake varies widely, from about a half inch to nearly a foot.The man’s snowmobile went through the ice on the north side of Poygan. “It’s spotty,” Nelson said. “We have very good ice in the cove. We have 8 inches to 10 inches.”Otherwise, he said, there is bad ice in general on the lake. “This is not the year to be dancing around if you don’t know where you’re going.”

    At 1:52 p.m. Sunday, Christopher Korth, 22, of Oshkosh, and Eric Korth, 14, of Omro, got out of Lake Butte des Morts on their own and were given a ride from the lake by a nearby resident after their snowmobiles went through thin ice between Oshkosh and Omro, the Winnebago County Sheriff’s Department said. They were treated at the scene, but their sleds were on the bottom of the lake, Jones said. Outagamie County Sheriff’s Department officials said a man escaped injury Saturday when his snowmobile went though ice on Black Otter Lake in Hortonville.
    "He who saves a single life, is said to have saved the entire world." TM

  16. #41
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2001

    Default Fryeburg FD responds with airboat to ice rescue -2 dead, 2 critical


    Two snowmobilers die after falling into Kezar Lake

    Associated Press

    January 7 2003

    LOVELL, Maine -- Two Connecticut snowmobilers were killed Tuesday when their machines plunged through thin ice on Kezar Lake, authorities said.

    Two other men in the group were rescued and were listed in stable condition, said Mark Latti, spokesman for the state Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife.

    The dead were identified as Eric Johnson, 29, of Manchester, Conn., and Reno Caron, 49, of Enfield, Conn.

    Shawn Judge, 29, of Atkinson, N.H., and Keith McNulty, 28, of Groveland, Mass., were being treated at Bridgton Hospital.

    The accident happened shortly before 2 p.m. along the western shore of the lake near an area called the Frontier Camp.

    Dave Comeau, a caretaker at the camp, heard the men screaming, got in a boat and was able to rescue one of them, Latti said.

    Comeau's wife, Jolene, called 911, and Fryeburg Rescue arrived a short time later with an airboat.

    The four men were transported to hospitals in Bridgton and North Conway, N.H., where Johnson and Caron were pronounced dead.

    Latti said the four men were vacationing in the area and had rented their snowmobiles in Fryeburg, where they were staying. They had been snowmobiling in the Bethel area and were returning to Fryeburg when they went onto the lake.

    The men were about 500 to 600 yards from shore at the widest section of the lake when their sleds broke through the water. There was only an inch and a half of slush-covered ice in that area, Latti said, and some parts of the lake had open water.

    Salvage crews will return to the area Wednesday to try to recover the snowmobiles from the 100-foot-deep water.

    The two fatalities raised the number of snowmobiling deaths in Maine this season to six, or two more than at this time last year.
    "He who saves a single life, is said to have saved the entire world." TM

  17. #42
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2001

    Default Salcha Rescue responds airboat above ice jam to stranded residents, AK



    January 7, 2003

    CUTLINE: Overflow caused by an ice jam on the Tanana River continued to slosh down the Old Richardson Highway about 35 miles southeast of Fairbanks on Monday, stranding about 30 families in Salcha and filling the roadway with freezing water.

    Temperatures were expected to fall to 40 below Monday night. Such cold could freeze the overflow, allowing highway crews to build an ice road into Salcha by Wednesday, highway officials said.

    Rob Weathers and Dennis Price of Salcha Rescue used Price's airboat, above, Sunday to travel up the Old Richardson Highway and check on stranded residents. Bev Lucas, right, guides her dog MacKenzie off Price's airboat Sunday. Price crossed the flooded Pile Driver Slough to rescue the dog. Lucas and her family were evacuated Saturday but had to leave their dog behind.

    Water began overflowing Piledriver Slough in late December after a warm fall delayed freezeup on the Tanana River, and some areas iced up earlier than others. An ice jam formed, and water began backing up. Story, B-3
    "He who saves a single life, is said to have saved the entire world." TM

  18. #43
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2001

    Default Snowmobiler dies in freak accident on icy lake


    Snowmobiler dies in freak accident on icy lake

    By Lee Filas
    Daily Herald Staff Writer
    January 10, 2003

    Fox Lake, IL - A 26-year-old Round Lake Beach man died early Thursday morning after falling through the ice on Pistakee Lake outside Fox Lake while snowmobiling. Fire authorities say Thomas J. Sieckowski, 26, of Round Lake Beach, hit the ice hard when entering the water, decapitating him. The accident occurred after Sieckowski left Famous Freddie's Roadhouse restaurant and bar in Fox Lake on his snowmobile just after 2 a.m. with a friend, said Lake County sheriff Lt. Gary Govekar.

    The two were heading west across Pistakee at a high rate of speed when the ice gave way under Sieckowski's snowmobile, plunging him into the murky water, Govekar said. His companion, a 27-year-old Fox Lake man, didn't notice Sieckowski plunge into the water and kept driving across the semi-frozen lake to their destination of Cedar Point Island. The ice had been thawing recently, said Fox Lake fire officials, due to a week of above freezing temperatures. The Fox Lake man turned to look for Sieckowski after five minutes of riding across the frozen surface when he realized Sieckowski was missing."He went back to search but couldn't find (Sieckowski)," Govekar said. "After about an hour, he went back to shore and phoned 911.

    "A Fox Lake fire crew was dispatched to the scene at 3:06 a.m. and was joined in the search by the Wonder Lake fire department with an airboat and a search light from the Flight For Life helicopter, Govekar said.

    The snowmobile was located under 5 feet of water in Pistakee Lake at 4:25 a.m., Govekar added. "The ice was only 3 inches thick in that area and couldn't support the weight of the snowmobile," Govekar said. Sieckowski was pronounced dead at 4:30 a.m. at the scene by the Lake County coroner's office, Coroner Barbara Richardson said. The cause of death was listed as extreme traumatic head injury. Govekar added that alcohol may have played a part in the accident, but he won't know for sure until toxicology tests are conducted by the coroner's office. No citations have been issued in the accident.
    "He who saves a single life, is said to have saved the entire world." TM

  19. #44
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2001



    Chetek man drowns under Long Bridge
    January 08, 2003

    A 34-year-old Chetek man died in a snowmobile accident Friday, Jan. 3, at approximately 7:05 p.m.
    Max Davis, 34, and Steven Baumann, 35, were travelling southeast on Prairie Lake on snowmobiles and crossed under the Long Bridge onto Chetek Lake.
    Baumann, the rider in the lead, successfully passed under the bridge, drove for about 1,000 yards and turned to check on the progress of Davis. Baumann could not locate Davis and investigated under the bridge where he observed an area of open water and a snowmobile helmet floating.
    Baumann travelled a short distance to his residence at 520 1st St. and called 9-1-1.
    The Chetek Fire Department Ice Rescue Unit arrived on the scene, along with the Chetek Police Department and deputies from the Barron County Sheriff's Department.
    Davis was recovered from 14 feet of water under the bridge, after being submerged for approximately 40 minutes. Chetek Fire District captain Joe Atwood said Davis' body was lying beside the snowmobile directly beneath the hole of open water. Davis' core body temperature was 96 degrees when he was pulled from the water, Atwood said.
    Efforts by Chetek Emergency Medical Technicians and Lakeview Medical Center to revive Davis were unsuccessful.
    Terry Nelson, deputy medical examiner, pronounced Davis dead at 8:38 p.m. and ruled the death a drowning.
    The Chetek Fire Department ice rescue unit had several firemen in the water in a relatively short time after arriving on the scene, according to the DNR. They remarkably recovered the victim from the bottom of the lake without the use of divers. Atwood said a diving crew from Chippewa Falls had been called for assistance and was on its way, but was called back and told not to come when the body was recovered.
    The accident is under investigation by Conservation Warden Russ Fell of the Department of Natural Resources.
    Fell reminded residents that ice travel is never safe. This year is especially dangerous due to the lack of sub-zero temperatures. Throughout the county, several vehicles have fallen through the ice in recent weeks.
    Atwood added that specifically on the Chetek lakes, any bridge areas will likely hold weak ice, especially after two days of temperatures in the 40s this week.
    Other areas requiring cautious travel are near Luther Park Bible Camp on Prairie Lake, Lakeshore Resort between Ojaski and Pokegama Lakes, and several spots on Ten Mile Lake, Atwood stated.
    "He who saves a single life, is said to have saved the entire world." TM

  20. #45
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2001

    Default Screams heard coming from icy lake - Snowmobilers missing


    Record-Eagle staff writer
    January 11, 2003

    TRAVERSE CITY, MI - Two men are feared dead after they failed to return home from a snowmobile outing Thursday evening around Long Lake.
    Grand Traverse County Sheriff deputies and a multi-agency dive team searched Friday for Traverse City residents David L. Swanson, 32, and Matthew R. Wyn, 36, in bitterly cold temperatures at the north end of Long Lake.
    The investigation into their disappearance began when a Long Lake Township resident, Tony Buday, heard screams coming from the lake at around 9:30 p.m. Thursday.
    When sheriff deputies and fire department rescuers arrived and a Coast Guard helicopter flew overhead, all the rescuers found were two snowmobile tracks headed across the ice and into open water.
    Sheriff Scott Fewins said he received a call at around 1 a.m., alerting him to the disappearance of Swanson and Wyn. Their families were worried because it was uncharacteristic of the men not to come home, and one of them had an appointment in Grand Rapids on Friday morning that he would not have missed.
    "These men are responsible family people who, according to the family, would never be late," Fewins said.
    Fewins said the men probably entered the lake at Gilbert Park - where it is frozen - and headed south, later doubling back to the north end of the lake where the ice leads into open water.
    Late Friday morning, with the men's family and friends looking on, a dive team searched for their bodies about 200 yards off shore. Fewins said that despite cold temperatures and a blistering breeze, the divers could safely dive, although each of the 10 divers could make at most two dives each.
    The divers needed to be tethered to officers in a boat in case they floated under the ice, he said.
    "It is going to be a very difficult recovery," Fewins said.
    He also said the initial investigation was difficult. Both Swanson and Wyn were married and between them they had seven children who were younger than 7 years old.
    Buday, who reported to police hearing cries of distress coming from the lake, said he had not heard such horrific screams since he served in the Korean War.
    "My heart really goes out to the wives and the children," Buday said.
    Buday, who had gone outside to attend to a wood-burning furnace, said when he heard the screams he got his wife to come outside and listen to confirm what he was hearing. She did and he called police.
    Buday said the screams eventually subsided.
    "I listened to them scream from the top of their lungs to where they were crying," he said. "I was in the Korean War, and I haven't heard anything like that since then."
    Buday said he hopes to begin a drive to purchase a hovercraft for Grand Traverse County to expedite rescues and to make searching for bodies in icy water safer.
    The lake in front of Buday's house is all open water and he said he doesn't understand why someone would have chanced taking a snowmobile near it.
    "It surprised me," Buday said. "These people being local people, they should have known better. But we're all human."
    "He who saves a single life, is said to have saved the entire world." TM

  21. #46
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2001

    Default Fees considered for ice rescue operations -FFs came close to losing their lives


    Venture on Thin Ice and Pay a Price

    By Jerry Burke

    January 11, 03
    Lake Winnebago, WI -- Getting rescued on Lake Winnebago will be a problem for the rest of the winter. It may become expensive, too.
    Winnebago County's two rescue hovercraft were both heavily damaged during a rescue effort two weeks ago. Members of the county board are upset over that, not just because of the damage but because a couple firefighters came close to losing their own lives.
    That has the county board thinking about imposing costs for rescues on the lake.
    They got the engines on the hovercraft in Oshkosh started Friday morning. It was the first time those engines worked since that ill-fated rescue. The hoverboat was damaged and had to be abandoned, left partially submerged in the Lake Winnebago ice for nearly a week.
    The mechanic says the engines were in rough shape. "Probably a little worse than I thought. I had to take all the fluid out of the engines. Most of it was water," said Paul Zellmer, who works for the Oshkosh Fire department.
    Zellmer said the rest of the boat is so badly damaged it will have to be sent back to the factory and completely rebuilt. As a result, it will be out of service for the rest of the winter.
    The fire chief is completely in favor of charging for ice rescues. "It's not a hazard that the general public has imposed on them. It's like everybody has the possibility of a fire, vehicle accident, things like that. This is a specific hazard because people are making a conscious decision to go out in these conditions," Chief Tim Franz said.
    Chief Franz said if people know they face a hefty bill if they need to get rescued, maybe they'll think twice about going out on the ice when it is well-known that ice conditions aren't good.
    "He who saves a single life, is said to have saved the entire world." TM

  22. #47
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2001

    Default Divers fail to find body - Farmer officially declared missing


    Farmer officially declared missing after draining of pond turns up empty

    By Associated Press

    BRIDGEWATER, Mass. (AP) Searchers drained a retention pond on Wednesday, but found no trace of a missing farmer who was last seen over the weekend tending his livestock. John Zaro, 55, was last seen Sunday at his large farm on Plain Street, police said. It was believed that he might have drowned in the pond while trying to rescue a cow that wandered on to the ice. Search teams from the Bridgewater Fire Department and state police dive teams drained the pond down to one foot of water but found no sign of Zaro or the missing cow, said Chief Roderick Walsh, of the Bridgewater Fire Department. ''We found nothing, unfortunately. We wanted to put some closure to it,'' Walsh said. Divers searched Tuesday night and resumed again Wednesday at 8 a.m. The search was called off at 1:50 p.m. on Wednesday. Zaro has been officially declared a missing person, Walsh said. Two divers were treated for hypothermia at a local hospital. A third was treated at a Boston hospital for a fractured hand, Walsh said. All three have been released. Since Zaro vanished, police with dogs have searched Zaro's property and the perimeter of the farm, but found nothing, Walsh said. Interviews with family friends and neighbors and a check with local medical facilities turned up no information about Zaro's whereabouts, and police said they found nothing suspicious at the farm. Zaro, a former chemical engineer, has operated the 160-acre farm since the 1970s. Zaro was described as 5-foot-5 and about 120 pounds, with dark hair and long sideburns. Police said they did not know what clothing he was wearing when last seen. Anyone with information was asked to call the Bridgewater Police Department at 508-697-6118.
    "He who saves a single life, is said to have saved the entire world." TM

  23. #48
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2001

    Default Lake Ice Update - FD marks dangerous areas


    Lake ice update

    January 15, 2003
    Forest Lake, MN - Police in Forest Lake have received numerous reports in the past week of ice houses sinking on Forest, Clear and Sylvan lakes. No ban on ice use has been issued for lakes in northern Washington County, but Anoka County authorities have addressed safety issues on a number of lakes in northern and eastern parts of Anoka County.
    According to the Anoka County Sheriff’s Office, the county on Jan. 10 declared Coon and Linwood lakes unsafe for any vehicular traffic, including snowmobiles and all-terrain vehicles.In addition, Crooked, Ham, George and Martin lakes were declared unsafe for cars and trucks but use of ATVs and snowmobiles is permissible.On Forest Lake, Schwartz urged lake users to take extreme caution on the ice. He said a large section of open water on First Lake was being kept open by strong winds and should be avoided by anyone using the ice surface.Washington County Sheriff’s Office personnel on Jan. 9, with the help of the Forest Lake Fire & Rescue airboat, marked dangerous ice areas on the lake.
    "He who saves a single life, is said to have saved the entire world." TM

  24. #49
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2001

    Default Search to resume for missing snowmobiler - TRAVERSE CITY


    January 14, 2003

    Search to resume for missing snowmobiler

    High winds suspended separate search in Houghton Lake for two missing brothers

    TRAVERSE CITY - The Grand Traverse County Sheriff's Department and a multi-agency dive team plan to resume their search today for a man missing since Thursday after he drove his snowmobile into Long Lake.
    Sheriff Scott Fewins said that the search will be aided by an airboat on loan from Huron County that should be able to transport divers from the ice to an area in open water where police want to search.
    Police are searching for the body of David Swanson, 32, whose snowmobile apparently went off the ice and into the water Thursday.
    On Saturday, divers recovered the body of Matthew R. Wyn, 36, of Traverse City, who was riding with Swanson.
    Earlier that day divers recovered the body of a third snowmobiler, Martin R. Selby, who fell through the ice on his snowmobile and drowned Saturday in a separate incident on Long Lake.
    Because of cold temperatures, a blistering wind and a lake that continues to freeze as the search continues, efforts to locate the bodies have been grueling.
    "All those guys out there have been doing a tremendous job out there, dealing with the cold and the wind," Capt. Tom Emerson said.
    Fewins said that if Swanson's body is not recovered by Friday, the department has arranged to use a robotic underwater search craft from the University of Michigan. Fewins said that the craft, which is equipped with cameras and an arm that could bring a body from the water, can be used even if the lake freezes over entirely.
    The Long Lake deaths were among a rash of snowmobile- and ice-related incidents over the weekend.
    William J. Minch, 41, of Conklin was killed when his snowmobile collided with a tree at about 11:40 a.m. Sunday in Grand Traverse County's Union Township.
    In Roscommon County's Houghton Lake, state police divers suspended their search Monday for two Houghton Lake brothers, ages 24 and 27, who fell through thin ice while snowmobiling Sunday. The search was suspended because of high winds, police said.
    Police said three snowmobilers had been traveling across the lake Sunday night when they came upon thin ice, then open water. One of the snowmobilers was able to accelerate across the open water to shore.
    Police did not identify the two brothers.
    Elsewhere on Houghton Lake, five snowmobilers went through the ice near the northeast corner of the lake around 6:40 p.m. A sixth snowmobiler was able to stop in time and helped his companions back on the ice.
    In Cheboygan, a 38-year-old man was ticketed for careless driving after his vehicle fell though thin ice Sunday on Mullett Lake.
    Robert Allen Jewell, 38, of Cheboygan, was driving across the north end of Mullett Lake about 400 yards off shore about 4 p.m. Sunday when his vehicle broke through about four inches of ice, said Cheboygan County Sheriff Dale Clarmont. The vehicle was in about five feet of water.
    In Oceana County's Shelby Township, 17-year-old Dennis A. Bantien of Shelby was killed when his snowmobile bumped another and crashed into a telephone pole Sunday.
    In Gladwin County's Billings Township, 47-year-old Randy Hair of Hope was killed Saturday when his snowmobile struck a dock on the frozen Tittabawassee River.
    Last edited by H2oAirRsQ; 01-17-2003 at 01:23 PM.
    "He who saves a single life, is said to have saved the entire world." TM

  25. #50
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2001

    Default Search for 2 snowmobilers continues, Houghton Lake, MI


    Search for 2 snowmobilers continues

    By Thomas Reznich
    January 15, 2003

    Houghton Lake, MI - Unique weather activity over the last week has left area lakes with extremely dangerous ice conditions, including a massive patch of open water on Houghton Lake which extends for miles.
    Since Saturday, seven snowmobiles have gone into the open water, including two driven by brothers David Wayne Sperry, 24, of Grayling and Jody Earl Sperry, 27, of Houghton Lake, who remain missing and are presumed to be dead after hitting the water on the night of Jan. 12.
    Rescue workers from Roscommon, Lake and Lyon Townships, the State Police, Roscommon County Sheriff Department, Department of Natural Resources and US Coast Guard worked through the night to locate the missing men to no avail.
    Attempts to locate the bodies of the missing snowmobilers and their sleds continued Wednesday by personnel from the Michigan State Police Underwater Recovery Unit and the Roscommon County Sheriff Department Dive Team.
    Roscommon County Sheriff Fran Staley said that Dallas Carll, 27, of Houghton Lake was on a third snowmobile and was riding ahead of the Sperrys when they hit the water. Carll told police he accelerated when he felt the back end of his machine sinking and made it onto solid ice. When he realized his friends were in the water he rode to shore and called in the emergency.
    Staley said Carll told him that the three riders were aware of the open water but had gotten off course in blowing snow conditions which cut down visibility. The area where the men were lost is around eight feet deep, with a water temperature around 35 degrees.

    Five other snowmobiles went into the water on the night of Jan. 11, farther to the west where the depth was around five feet, and all were able to make it out of the water.

    With conditions worsening as winds continue, Staley said he is weighing his options as to where to station emergency equipment, including the department’s airboat, to best advantage. Firefighters from Roscommon, Lake and Denton Townships will man their stations from Friday evening to Sunday evening in case of further emergencies during the first weekend of Tip-up Town 2003.

    State Police 1st Lt. David Mertz said equipment including the department’s hovercraft, a boat and survival suits are at the ready. He said that anyone who ventures out on the ice of any of the lakes in the area should exercise extreme caution, since there is no area that can be considered safe.
    Last edited by H2oAirRsQ; 01-17-2003 at 01:19 PM.
    "He who saves a single life, is said to have saved the entire world." TM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register