Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Smile FireWatch Citizens' Group Concept

An idea that I have been kicking around is an organized citizens' group that is something of an offshoot of Neighborhood Watch, but with a primary focus on fire prevention, reporting, also reporting of vacant structures that may be candidates for arson fires or other malicious mischief involving fire. The concept is called FireWatch and would consist of ordinary citizens working with a firefighter who is a designated expert at fire prevention,particularly in small towns, such as Perry,NY where I live. For some time now, while delivering a weekly shopping tabloid on a walk route I have been working since late August of this year, I have been keeping an eye on several structures, two of them vacant located on my route, the other being an occupied house, whose porch is so loaded with combustible materials that I have reported it to my hometown fire chief at least twice. The citizens group would in no way be involved in fire fighting operations, just reporting hazardous conditions on an organized basis, such as vacant structures, etc. In the case of Perry,NY, a Captain who is the designated fire prevention officer for our department would be the head of the group and instructor as to what to look for, report, etc. Such a concept could work in most any rural community and be particularly useful in many cities as well. It is my way of giving something back to my community since my other efforts seem to be going nowhere. Though we have a designated line officer in charge of fire prevention, most any firefighter, when properly trained, could head up such a group. FireWatch would be a SUPPORT GROUP for the hometown fire department just as the Auxiliary and Red Cross function.
    Jim Mancuso

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

I like the idea, Jim; and there is no reason why, in a community tht already has a neighborhood watch, that it couldn't be added into that program. A lot of the "blighted" properties are also targets for crime and the lowering of property values.
    An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of suppression! Sometimes even more!

Thread Information