Forum Member

Default Can opener...not the kitchen appliance

I was wonderin if anyone has ever used or farmiliar with a can opener, and I'm not talkin about the can opener you have in you kitchen. I'll post more on this when I get some reply's.
    "I truly believe that tradition is important to the long-term survival of the fire service."-Lt. Andrew Fredricks, FDNY,9-11-01

Forum Member

I used one at the State Fire School in Ohio a while back. It was on the end of a Halligan tool instead of the pry claw. I used it to peel open a car roof with good results. I lobbied to get one put on our crash truck... but we have yet to get one. Looked to me like a good tool to have for a back-up to the air chisel for that job.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

Lightbulb

Yeah,I've made a few of them.Piece of 3/4 or 1" cold roll round bar stock and a piece of leaf spring ground and welded on with low hydrogen rod.Haven't used them on any new stuff but they worked great on roofs of older vehicles & busses.T.C.

FIGJAM

We've carried a "can opener" for years on our rescue truck. Used it in training heaps- it's great for getting rid of a roof, etc.

The only problem being, we've never come across an MVA yet, where we needed to resort to use it! But they do work well....
    Luke

Default Can opener

I have a halligan with the can opener on the end, like MetalMedic referred to. I carry it in my truck with all my other teaching gear. Married to a flat head axe, just like the fire guys do, it makes a pretty handy package. It's far less noise than an air chisel, and as far as I'm concerned, just about as efficient. My squad company has two of the same configuration on the rig.

We have one, can't think of a time that I've ever seen or heard of it used!! I suppose that we should train with it sometime!!

Ours has a big slide on it, kinda like a fence driver, pretty heavy to work with though!
    Last edited by 12RESCUE7; 12-16-2002 at 04:04 AM.

Thread Information