Thread: 5 Points

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry 5 Points

Here's a question for everyone. The FDNY gives candidates 5 points for living in NYC, I live in nassau why should I get punished cause I can afford to live on LI???

Forum Member

Default Really

Take the poision early. Those are the rules. Some departments give 5 points for being a military veteran. Try putting yourself in a postion where you end up higher on the list then they do. That usually happens in the oral board. What have you done to prepare to blow past the competition there?

"Stop looking in the magnifying glass at other's and start looking in the mirror at youself." That's where you can start making a difference.

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

888-238-3959

Default "Simple" They wan't there own people

It all comes down to taxes & politics. I as a city employer would rather higher someone who paid taxes and lived in the city. Don’t feel bad at least you can take the test. I my City if you’re not a resident you can’t even take the test. So damn the 5 points. Study hard and you will do fine. As for the 5-point preference for Vets. I feel they should get preference for the job not just points on the test. Vets tend to be thankful for what they got not for what they might receive. They follow orders and have an Espree de Corps and Semper Parotus. There is no comparing a Military Vet to a Civilian in the fire service.
    “Just when you think something is made to be Idiot Proof. They go a head and make a better Idiot”

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree with you 100 percent a veteran should get the extra points as should the legacy pts but I dont agree with the 5pts for living in the city- but its not a big deal i'll just get hired without it..

Thread Information