Default 2 dead - 17 uinjured as vehicle drives into crowd

http://www.local6.com/orlpn/news/sto...12-031247.html

SUV Careens Into Crowd; 2 Dead, 17 Injured
    Driver Pulled From Truck, Beaten

December 12, 2002

LADY LAKE, Fla. -- A community holiday celebration was marred by tragedy after a man lost control of his sports utility vehicle and careened into a large group of revelers, killing two and injuring 17 others, police said.

Authorities said Sue Feely, 47, and Robert Dittmeyer, 73, were killed in the incident, which occurred Wednesday around 7:40 p.m. at the Winter Wonderland festival at The Villages. Feely is from Georgia, according to authorities. Dittmeyer, who officials said pushed a 7-year-old boy out of the vehicle's way and to safety before being struck and killed himself, was from Lady Lake. Alan Tomlinson, 54, was traveling west on Main Street when his vehicle hit Dittmeyer, who had been directing traffic, police said.
    Tomlinson's Jeep Cherokee then jumped a curb, went airborne, plowed into an exhibitor's tent and hit Feely, police said. "She sustained injuries all over. She took the brunt of it," said Sumter County firefighter Paul Pumphrey, referring to Feely. Tomlinson and his wife were traveling through the area and were from Georgia, authorities said. Their exact hometown was not available early Thursday. Tomlinson is on seizure medication, said Lady Lake police spokeswoman Cathy Thurmann, and police were attempting to determine if a seizure was what caused Tomlinson to lose control of his vehicle.
    At least four other people were airlifted to Orlando Regional Medical Center, one after being originally brought to The Villages Regional Hospital, officials said. Orlando Regional spokeswoman Betsy Loffredo said one patient, Carolyn Kozloski, 57, was listed in serious condition; two others, Norman Osprowski, 62, and his wife Margaret, 64, were stable with injuries which were not believed to be life-threatening.
    Several other people were taken to other hospitals, including the 7-year-old, who authorities identified as Joseph Barnes. Their conditions were unavailable early Thursday. Others were treated at the scene and declined hospitalization, authorities said. After his Jeep crashed into a tree, Tomlinson was pulled from his SUV by furious onlookers and beaten, police said, but the man apparently suffered only minor injuries, mostly bruises. Tomlinson remained in Lady Lake police custody early Thursday, but it could not be immediately determined if he was facing any charges. Lady Lake is 41 miles northwest of Orlando.

District Chief

Default Related Story

OCALA STAR

Two die in The Villages as car drives into crowd
    Over a dozen injuries reported

Published December 11. 2002 9:37PM

J.A. Dunn and
    Austin Miller
    Staff Writers

THE VILLAGES -- Two people were killed and at least 16 injured Wednesday night, when the driver of a Jeep Grand Cherokee apparently lost control and careened into the middle of the The Villages Downtown Square.

The Jeep was airborne as it entered the square, which was crowded with festival-goers for the Winter Wonderland event.

Authorities said Alan Tomlinson, 48, of Georgia, first struck and killed a male security guard on Main Street, then raced into the square. The other fatality was a woman. Lady Lake Police did not release the names of those killed Wednesday night.

"She sustained injuries all over. She took the brunt of it," said Sumter County firefighter Paul Pumphrey.

Tomlinson, who was not seriously hurt, suffers from seizures, said Lady Lake police Commander Cathy Thurmann. Police did not expect to file charges, but the investigation was continuing Wednesday night.

Toni Wilson, director of public relations at The Villages Regional Hospital, said 16 people were injured, including eight who were being treated at that hospital.

Other patients "were flown out to various area hospitals and trauma centers," she said.

Seven of the patients at The Villages were in stable condition and could be released today, Wilson said. One woman was in critical condition with a head injury.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

District Chief

Post Updated story

73 year old retired man who was working part time security at this event sacrificed his life to say a young boy.

The Link:

http://www.sptimes.com/2002/12/13/St...__he_gav.shtml
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Thread Information