SFDny15
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default FDNY Test Question

I'm taking the FDNY test tomorrow and it states that it is a 3 hour & 15 minute session. My question is, do you have to stay that long? I'd imagine you would be able to leave once you are done.

Hopefully someone who has taken the test can help me out. Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

If it is like the test in 99, you will leave when you are finished.

Best of Luck,
    FRED

FTM-PTB

SFDny15
    Firehouse.com Guest

Originally posted by FFFRED
    If it is like the test in 99, you will leave when you are finished.

Best of Luck,
    FRED

FTM-PTB
    Thanks for the reply, so most likely I won't be taking the full 3 hours. Thanks again.

Default Caution!!!!!!!!!!

Just because you finish short of the three hours and fifteen minutes, doesn't mean you have to leave. A word of advice is.....use the time to double check your answers, some are so easy, you breeze through them only to find your answer incorrect.
    * REMEMBER * If you don't score 100%, it may be years before your call, and based on the Bloomberg news........maybe never!
    "Best of Luck"
    "All gave some...Some gave all!"
    9/11/01 Lest we forget!
    FDNYRR

MembersZone Subscriber

With all due respect to the Firefighter on Rest and Rehab. Take your time with each question, when you get to 100, fill in the stupid oval with your #2 pencil, raise your hand and run like the wind.

In most cases, your first instinct is your best answer, going back and making changes can be dangerous. JMHO

Now if FDNYRR's buddy, who has passed at least two more tests than I have, has another opinion, I'd say lend an ear to the Capt/BC

BTW, if you're reading this you've stayed up to late to pass...but at least you're home and not out drinking.

Wink

Yep! That's what makes the World go-around........friendly differances in opinion.

AFA the Capt/BC, I have no idea what she does......obviously it works for her though, I only made (luckily) FF 1st, far from Capt/BC (LOL).

So maybe the best advise is, whatever works for you!
    "All gave some...Some gave all!"
    9/11/01 Lest we forget!
    FDNYRR

MembersZone Subscriber

Default questions

How many questions was the test this year?
    I heard 85??

MembersZone Subscriber

Fort FF, yeah your right it was only 85 questions.

MembersZone Subscriber

85? These budget cuts are getting crazy.

Best of luck to all who took the test for the Greatest Job in the World!

See ya at the Rock!

SFDny15
    Firehouse.com Guest

Well, I took the test yesterday, and yes it only was 85 questions. I was absolutely amazed at how simple most of the questions were. As a matter of fact, the sample tests in the Barron's book were harder.

It took me close to 2 hours to complete the test, and I certainly didn't rush. As a few of you said, I did not look back, because in my past experiences in taking any test, I'll second guess myself and probably end up getting it wrong.

Well, thanks to everybody for your kind words, I'll be sure to let you know how I did. Next up, get ready for the CPAT.

Default FDNY Test

The test was easy but not as easy as the NJ state test (a trained monkey could have passed that test. I was surpised because i studdied out of the ARCO book and i was expecting a 175 question test. But good luck to anyone that took it.

BE SAFE
    What are the irons? Is that a Hillside thing?

Cool

Does FDNY give points to already trained FFs? Do they accept the I.F.S.A.C. Accreditation? And do you happen to know how many points, if any, they give for it? I thought about going up there, but I'm not sure. I couldn't stand the 6 week academy that I went to here, let alone a 17 week(i think it's 17 weeks) one that you have to go through up there. But I guess if I got the chance.....I'D BE THERE IN A HEART BEAT!!!!!!!!! Well, hope you can help me out!
    fireman_1

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Originally posted by fireman_1
    Does FDNY give points to already trained FFs? Do they accept the I.F.S.A.C. Accreditation? And do you happen to know how many points, if any, they give for it? I thought about going up there, but I'm not sure. I couldn't stand the 6 week academy that I went to here, let alone a 17 week(i think it's 17 weeks) one that you have to go through up there. But I guess if I got the chance.....I'D BE THERE IN A HEART BEAT!!!!!!!!! Well, hope you can help me out!
    Does FDNY give points to already trained FFs? No.
    Do they accept the I.F.S.A.C. Accreditation? No.
    I thought about going up there, but I'm not sure. I couldn't stand the 6 week academy that I went to here, let alone a 17 week (I think it's 17 weeks) one that you have to go through up there.

If your not sure, we don't need you. You have to want this job 100%. Don't waste your time or ours. The ROCK is a good learning experience . 1 week or 17 weeks you will learn something. Even if you are a firefighter with I.F.S.A.C. Accreditation.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

fireman_1 from OHIO:

It doesn't matter if you have firefighter 100, PARAMEDIC, plus every certification possible. You can even be a chief somewhere else and have every medal your town gives. You still do your time at THE ROCK, which is 12 weeks long right now. If you don't want to go back to probie training, you probably should stay at your job you have now, especially since you have all those fancy certifications anyway, why would you want to leave?

To the other brothers from this post:

The test in 1999 also had 85 questions. They take how many you get right divided by 85 and that is your percentage. This counts for 50% of your grade. The other 50% is your physical agility test (CPAT).
    if you get 2 questions wrong, your score is calculated like this: 83/85 is 97.6%.

then you take the CPAT and average the written score with that:

97.6% on writen
    100% on CPAT

Final score of 98.7%

Then add military, city resident, and legacy credit after this. As you can see, if you get any of these extra points, your score is well over a 100. in this example if you live in NYC and you were in the milatary, you get a 108.7. Not bad.

Good luck everyone

Question Question

While we're asking questions... Regarding the college credits pre-req: What happens if you're done with the testing process and you receive your appointment letter but don't have the 30 hours college credits yet? Do you just get dropped from the list or do they give you a certain amount of time to get them before they drop you. I didn't take the test or anything, just curious to know.

IF you don't have CFR-D or 30 College Credits (or military time), then you are skipped over in the process. IF you present FDNY with the documentation, they are still putting classes in, and you have passed everything else, then you will be good to go. However, don't wait to long, b/c they have to renew the list every year.

NeverForget

You don't need me? How harsh is that? You don't even know me! Better watch what you say! I don't care if you are from FDNY! You're not better than anyone else. I thought it was a brotherhood. Guess not! You guys must just be too much of snobs up there to be part of it! I guess I'll think twice about visiting you let alone becoming one of you!
    fireman_1

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

I thought about going up there, but I'm not sure. I couldn't stand the 6 week academy that I went to here, let alone a 17 week(i think it's 17 weeks) one that you have to go through up there.

fireman_1 your right I don't know you.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

MembersZone Subscriber

fireman_1, I'm not from New York, I happen to live close to Philadelphia, but I agree with what E40FDNYL35 said. If you don't have the attitude to put out the effort and give it your all. Don't waste your time and everyone else's involved. So don't be getting all ****ed off about him saying that. I was ready to write something similar until I read his post.
    Last edited by FORTff; 12-18-2002 at 05:55 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

fireman_1,

Shhhhh, don't think twice. You're already out.

To all the rest out there reading this; It's 100% or zero. No second guesses! You want it or you don't...He don't!

Forum Member

Default anyone hear a puppy whining?

You don't need me? How harsh is that? You don't even know me! Better watch what you say! I don't care if you are from FDNY! You're not better than anyone else. I thought it was a brotherhood. Guess not! You guys must just be too much of snobs up there to be part of it! I guess I'll think twice about visiting you let alone becoming one of you!
    "fireman" 1....
    The best job in the world deserves the best and the brightest...and it's clear by this childish tirade that you are neither!

Artie, Ray, Rescue 2 Bob and our other brothers in the FDNY...thank your lucky stars that "fireboy 1" is changing his mind!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

You don't need me? How harsh is that? You don't even know me!

What they DO know is they have thousands of applicants for every probie class that aren't so stuck on themselves that they can't go through a training academy. Ergo- NO, they don't need you, quite frankly.

IACOJ BOD

ROTFLMFAO

Kia Kaha Brothers.

fireman_1 "Kia Kaha" means "Be Strong". It is a New Zealand Maori greeting amongst warriors.

It means Strong of heart, mind and spirit.

Take the test only when you have figured that out.

again I say, in acknowledgement of the Brothers gone, but seared into our hearts.

Kia Kaha
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey explorer? who are you to say anything you just a little exra around the firehouse. go back to the explorers web page..

Ok, let me clarify myself. I didn't mean that I couldn't stand doing the firefighter part(Why would I have paid the thousands of dallors out of my pocket is I couldn't?). There's stupid **** that went on that I absolutely hated(everyone else hated it too!). Food was crappy, the lodging was horrible, a few things with the administration, and stuff like that(a lot of time, you remember the bad more than you do the good, and when you talk about it, you never talk about the good.)! The training part of it was awesome! Most of the instructors were great! I can't complain at all about them! You couldn't really ask for better instructors or training! So forgive me for my mistakes! Fireboy? Not even going to touch that! Being one of the youngest on my dept. that's what they usually call me! Yeah, I may not be the best! But that's a good thing, b/c being the best is close to being perfect, and no human that I know is perfect! Explorer? I was there once! And I'm glad I was! B/c that's where I got most of my experience before I became a firefighter! I don't know if all of you guys have exporers or jr.'s, but from what I hear, you guys really don't like them! Well, give them a chance, they're not all that bad! They're there to learn too! And I think it's better to get them into the groove of things before they are old enough to become a firefighter so you get all the excitment out of them before they get certified. But that's my opinion. I don't really care what you guys think of me until you know me, so whatever you say is fine, I'm not going to lose sleep over it!
    fireman_1

Thread Information