Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Default Calgary Forum Members

Hey just a quick note to any of the Calgary guys I've talked to on the forums ..... man-o-fire, resqtek, Jay911 etc.

I'll be volunteering at the Fire Department Toy Association Christmas Party tomorrow if any of you are going to be there. Just look for the short, chubby chick wearing a Firefighters Museum uniform

Come and say hi if you're going to be there!

Here's a blurb about the party for the rest of you:

The Calgary Fire Department Toy Association's 35th Annual
    Christmas Party will be held this Sunday, December 15/2002 at
    the Stampede Corral starting at 12:00.

The Toy Association Christmas Party is the largest Christmas
    Party of its kind in Canada with invitations going out to
    1500 families. These families will be treated to food,
    refreshments and entertainment and approximately 4000 - 5000
    gifts will be handed out to children 12 years of age and
    under.

Between 100 - 150 uniformed Firefighters, retired
    Firefighters, Fire Department staff and their families will
    be on hand to host the party and help Santa hand out gifts.

Merry Christmas everyone, stay safe!
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Unfortunately(sp) I will be working tomorrow but I will be working at 16 so I may end up coming by.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

What do you look like? Or tell me your first name please, and I'll keep an eye out for you.

So you're on B shift?! I know B shift crew at #2 like to brag that B shift is the best hehehe

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

LOL, down here B shift is know as "beat 'em up, burn 'em down B"

Forum Member

We are far too sleepy here for that kind of thing Smoke. Eat till your tired, sleep till your hungry. Respect, I am just another one of the young punks, 6ft tall dark hair, devilishly handsome!

Forum Member

LMAO @ both of you!

resqtek ... yeah uh huh right! LOL! I guess its up to you to say hi to me, if you end up going down .... oh ummm going there *insert blushing smiley here* hehehe

There's a picture of me floating around here somewhere, but I don't remember what thread its on. Tempie, CJ, or FlyingKiwi might though.

Go Flames Go!!! (vs. Colorado tonight)

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Sorry I didn't make it down today. I had to cook brunch for 18 people and got a late start as we were doing rig checks. Then a mean floor hockey game broke out!

Forum Member

That's too bad resqtek, it was fun! The kids cute, parents grateful, and of course the Peter's burgers and free beer after wasn't that hard to take Guess we'll have to meet up some other time

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Unfortunately I was unable to make it this year. I've only missed about 3 in 22 years and I did MISS is. I would just like to add something to your discription of the party for the benefit of those outside of Calgary.

The gifts in question are for underpriviledged children, who in many cases will not receive any other gifts. The tradition started 35 years ago when the firefighters collected broken toys year round and repaired them to be redistributed to needy families. Over the years the demand far exceeded our ability to repair toys so we started buying new ones. Money is raised through an internal lottery, solely funded by firefighters, retirees and, I believe many of our good EMS friends who also take part in the lottery. Each year we purchase about $90,000.00 worth of toys to distribute to the needy. Children are referred to us through many sources.

If we were to make a Mastercard Commercial it would go something like this:
    Toys - $90,000.00
    Food - $20,000.00
    Smiles from kids and tears(mostly feelgood kind) from firefighters - Priceless!

Forum Member

Thanks manofire that was great!

Long time no talk, how've ya been?

The party was quite something, makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside that's for sure! Seeing the huge smiles on the kids' faces was just so awesome! There were a few sights I'll remember (twin babies a month old on Santa's lap, cute little girl 2 or 3 probably with a smile as wide as Ronald McDonald's, girls in their party dresses, the clowns) oh and seeing all the Brass jump up and down like kangaroos to a Christmas song was hilarious! I've been in the position before of having to accept charity and it felt great to give something back to the community.

All that plus the opportunity to visit with friends from the Firefighters Museum, and see people from the Fire Department I've met at other functions (its like ... okok that person looks familiar now where do I know him from??!! Its great to sit with Church .... he knows everybody LOL)

Hey resqtek I met so many people yesterday its hard to remember them all, but I did meet a guy named John from #16 (I wondered if it might be you but I guess not LOL.)

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Great job guys, its nice to see locals giving back to the community

Thread Information