Question Slide in pump unit for F250??

hello, all. First post here at Firehouse.

I am looking for information about a self-contained slide-in pump/hose unit that fits into standard F250/350 pick-up beds. I am looking for a unit that could be used with minimal training in remote areas such as cattle ranches, large hunting leases or at remote resort areas to fight brush or small structural fires.

I have been told that such a unit exists, but cannot find information about it.

Thanks Much.

Well, WSdarley and Cascade Fire Equipment are two that come to mind. Other than that the only recomendadions I would have are that if you get a F-250(3/4 ton) 200 gallons max. whereas if you get the
    F-350(1 ton) who might get the 250 or maybe even 300(250 works great on the two I see around here). And lastly I would really think hard about using a truck like this for structure fires there is no way to carry all that you need equipment wise plus water and a pump. OH one more think if duals are not that big a issue I would recommend a dually with a service type Bed to be sure you can carry all the equipment you need. The one I useded to work with was a F550(1 3/4 ton) 4x4 I really liked It. It also had the V10 gasoline engine which would run like a spotted monkey cold or hot. But the Powerstroke is good to just which ever one you like more.

Anyway If you have any more questions just post or email me I will see what I can do.

Hope the info helps
    D308

Thanks for the info.

My background is in the private security field and I''ve been asked to look into this for a client.
    Could you direct me to a good source of information on the units you mentioned?

I will do a basic search on the net, but if you know any good links, I'd appreciated the info.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just about any apparatus builder will offer a rig similar to that you're looking for. I'll try to get a few links for you, but in the mean time when you search the internet use these keywords:

"skid unit"
    "quick attack"
    "slide in"
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Thanks, but I've already found a ton of info using what you've given me already. I'm no subject matter expert, but I have a much better idea about capabilities and price range, which were the two big questions I had.

Thanks again... now, if anyone has any direct experience with any particular unit??

We have a few trucks with that kind of set up, they also have front bumper mounted turrets. They have a tank(not sure on size) a portable pump, some house 1 1/2" and 1" hose and the turret. I think but not sure, that a company called H&W Emergency Vehicles built part of it. Here is their website.
    H&W

MembersZone Subscriber

All of the skid units I have seen for sale at retail seem to me to be grossly overpriced for what they are.

Our fire department built two of them for our 4x4 grass rigs.

For the platform, we used a 4x8 sheet of 1/8" steel sheet, reinforced underneath with 2" "U" channel.

We mounted 200-gallon poly tanks to the front of the units, and mounted the pumps and hose reels behind the tanks The pumps are mounted at the right rear just inside the tailgate for easy maintenance access.

Basically (you can get as complicated as you want, but simple is better), you just run 2" plumbing back to the intake of the pump, and run the plumbing from the discharge to the hose reel, or to a manifold with multiple valved outlets..

These work well for grass fires with 5HP or 6HP high pressure (90 lbs) pumps. These pumps can be purchased for around $600.

For more serious capability, an 18HP fire pump can be purchased for around $2600 to $3600, but understand that a 200-gallon water supply (max for 3/4-ton truck) will not last very long at all when using a 1 1/2" or 1 3/4" fire hose.

A new electric rewind hose reel with with 300 feet of 1" booster hose costs around $1000.

A simple complete unit can be fabricated for $2500 to $5000 or so, depending on the pump you choose.

The factory built skid units cost from $8000 to $15000 or more.

You can follow the banner links on this website to fire apparatus manufacturers and dealers and find a few to look at. They all do the job they're designed to do.

Foam capability would be a plus, and compressed air foam (CAFS) would be the ultimate (expensive, but effective).
    Asst. Chief Bill

International Order of the Fraternal Brotherhood of the Club

Somewhere in or near north central Creek County, Oklahoma

Default CAFS

Rob, You're asking a lot for a little package. A lot of Departments put their own together for grass and brush. A cabin or hunting lodge would be a much taller order. Robwen does a CAFS unit unit but it is pricey. I have used it and it gives you killer foam. The problem you have is what are you going to use it for? Remote areas with a delayed response and long distances are a real problem with what you are attempting to do. By the time you get there a structure would be on the ground or a write off anyway. Good luck, let us know what you finally come up with. JF

MembersZone Subscriber

Not exactly a skid unit, but for the type of terrain you're talking about it might be worth a look.

Brush Rapid Attack Truck aka the B.R.A.T. I am esp. impressed with the custom 3rd party "Super Single" wheels they are using.

Also both our and a neighboring Department are using skid units in F-350 P/U's for our brush rigs. The skids were made by Vest Sales & Service here in Virginia. I'm sure you can find a builder closer, but if you would like to contact them then email rvest@swva.net
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Forum Member

Here's our solution to your question

30 gal. TriMax self contained CAFS unit, makes 600 gallons of end product, no motors, no mechanical parts except a on/off valve. Simple and easy to use, plus it takes up less that 1/3 of the bed of a short-bed pickup.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "The hero is commonly the simplest and obscurest of men."
    -Henry David Thoreau

Visit my dept. at www.TCFD.com

Forum Member

That is our "Truck 5"

It has been modified since that picture was taken. The rear door has a First Responder Decal on it.

The pump is now a Briggs V-twin, 23hp. The pump rating says it will move 150gpm @ 100psi.

We have two lines: 50 feet of 1inch trash line on a reel and 150 feet of 1 1/2 pre connect.

Carries 150 Gallons of water (Canadian Gallons)

The truck itself is a Ford F-350. Duel rear wheels, 4 wheel drive, four door cab (seats five firefighters nicely) V-10, Power windows, AM/FM Cassette (wanted the 6 disk changer, but we didn't we could smuggle it into the 'options' list ).

It also has a Scott "All around the pump" foam system. A quick turn and "you've got foam" It is preset to .5 percent, "A" class foam... just enough to make the water wetter... but can go all the way to 6%, which, with the high-expansion nozzle is a-hell-of-a-lot of foam.

It carries two SCBAs in the side cabinet (show on the picture) and every thing else in the far side (gated Y's nozzles, wrenches, fittings, etc).

It is called a "Quick Attack" unit, but right now is third to leave the station (behind the Rescue and Engine).

It works well. Makes quick work of vehicle fires, and with the foam can knock down a good sized bush fire by itself.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by firefighter26; 12-18-2002 at 01:17 AM.
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

Thread Information