Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tankers-Tenders

Post Tankers-Tenders

Tenders used to be known as tankers.
    The reason they switched is because of wildland firefighting. If you were out somewhere on a wildland fire and called for a tanker you wouldn't get a rig with water but an airplane flying over head dumping water. The confusion was too much and they decided to change what we know as a tanker to a tender. So a tanker is an airplane and a tender is a rig that hauls water.

Nate Green
    B.C. Post 264

oooook

sorry in case you had no idea what that post was about.
    The thread appratus posted the question what is a tender. And everyone thought it was just a differen't name for a tanker.
    That is the purpose of this post.. to share the difference of the two

yeah i gotcha now that part was kinda important

sorry in case you had no idea what that post was about.
    The thread appratus posted the question what is a tender. And everyone thought it was just a differen't name for a tanker.
    That is the purpose of this post.. to share the difference of the two

Default Not so fast

Not so fast naterq. Thats not always the case. I, after reading the other post, that asked about tenders and tankers I asked my asst. chief and thats what he told me(see my reply in the appratus thread), and the man has been running with tankers for his whole carrer (22+ years). I think that the term differs from application to application or location to location. Such as "striking the box" in some places that means a 2nd or so alarm, and others it means asking for a cover or others it means sending out an all hands working. I know it as a 2nd or so alarm, how ever it may be different in your local or someone elses.
    So Im not posting to prove you wrong, I'm just stating that like with many slang terms and sayings, they may differ from location to location.
    "DISTRICT 63 FOR LIFE!!" ~Me

"There is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer" ~Thomas Jefferson

When I die, burry me deep. Place the stereo by my feet. Put the speakers by my head, and play for me, some greatful dead.

Forum Member

Actually the "tender" is used in the west rather than "tanker"

Why? Those of us that work the wildfires with the federal agencies use the NWCG terminology for apparatus. Engines are Type 1 through Type 7. Tenders are Type 1 through Type 4. Type is based on tank size, pump capacity, hose carried and other equipment.

NWCG tankers are aircraft.

All the above is based on wildland requirements. It is easier to use the same terms for structural apparatus than to ask for a tanker for a structure and a tender for wildland when it is probably the same apparatus.

Stay Safe

It is easier to use the same terms for structural apparatus than to ask for a tanker for a structure and a tender for wildland when it is probably the same apparatus.
    True unless you deal in a city/suburban area, like me, where the only thing remotly close to a wildland fire is a dumpster/rubish fire or the ever rare small brush. So like I said, it totaly depends on your location and application of the term. Fight on.
    "DISTRICT 63 FOR LIFE!!" ~Me

"There is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer" ~Thomas Jefferson

When I die, burry me deep. Place the stereo by my feet. Put the speakers by my head, and play for me, some greatful dead.

I being a wildland firefighter tend to agree with the original statement that a tanker is a plane, and a tender is a truck with a lot of water. I ride on a type 6 engine as well as a type 4, and rarely have had problems distinguishing between a tanker needed verses a tender. I can say that it helps to know ahead of time what kind of lingo to use with which areas.

Beware of thinking that being in an urban area that wildland firefighters may not be around. I personally have been called to two dump fires in urban areas where we needed to use a tanker. To us when we hear a tanker is being called in that means to get away from the fire or risk being painted red.

Anywhose
    "G"

MembersZone Subscriber truck6alpha's Avatar

My whole life I heard of a tanker being a land-based unit with lots of water. Switching terminology as I got older wasn't very easy, but since NIIMS and all the wildland boys are using Tender in that case and Tanker as an airborne water/agent delivery medium, I've had to switch. Sometimes we have to do things to make it work in other places. It's called "comprimise". And trust me when I say, I still don't like calling our land-based unit "Tender One". It just sounds too effeminate. But we do it so we can work with our wildland based brothers.
    Michael "Mick" Mayers
    Acting Director, Urban Search and Rescue
    South Carolina Emergency Response Task Force
    www.sctf1.sc.gov

Thread Information