Editorial comment: This story is truly a tragedy; however, it is not an uncommon occurrence in South Florida. Does this sort of incident occur elsewhere across the country or is it only a Soouth Florida phenomenon?


Woman killed by train while trying to leave car

December 15, 2002
Hobe Sound, FL - A Hobe Sound woman was killed by a train Saturday morning as she tried to escape from a car stopped on the railroad tracks.

Dorothy Gero, 79, was a passenger in a car driven by Doris Costello, 81. They on their way to breakfast and a shopping trip when the accident took place in front of the Veterans of Foreign Wars post at 6101 SE Dixie Highway in Port Salenero.

Costello's car traveling north at about 9 a.m. when she noticed the crossing gates begin to lower. Gero apparently told Costello to stop the car. Florida Highway Patrol officials said Costello's car was struck from behind by a driver in an Acura Legend, and the Costello car wound up on the Florida East Coast Railway tracks. Costello got out of the car, moved away from the tracks and survived.
Gero was moving away when she was struck by the train, according to the highway patrol. She was thrown 145 feet. The accident closed Dixie Highway until about 1:30 p.m.

Charges were pending, officials said.

Train Kills Hobe Sound Woman After Car Accident Pushes Her on Tracks
The Associated Press
Published: Dec 14, 2002
STUART, Fla. (AP) - A 79-year-old woman was fatally struck by a train Saturday after a car accident pushed her onto the tracks. Dorothy Gero, of Hobe Sound, was a passenger in a car that was struck from behind by an Acura Legend as the crossing gates began to lower in front of the train track. Gero's car was pushed onto the Florida East Coast Railway tracks. Gero had gotten out of the car and was moving away from the tracks when she was struck and thrown about 145 feet, The Stuart News reported. The driver, 81-year-old Doris Costello, got out of the car and moved away from the tracks unharmed. The car landed upside down in the grass nearby. Florida Highway Patrol said charges are pending.