MembersZone Subscriber

Question Cordless Power Tools

We currently use DeWalt 18V cordless Reciprocating saws as additional tools for vehicle extrication... Works great, but we are having a tough time keeping the batteries charged! We have 12V chargers mounted in our vehicles, but they shut themselves off after completing a charge, and do not activate again until power is removed/returned. In other words, unplugged, then plugged back in. Since we are an all-volunteer department, try as we might, these do not get checked on a regular basis, and when we need them, we find them to be partially discharged (from sitting around), and not as effective as a fully charged unit. - Has anyone out there done anything to solve this problem? What I am thinking we need is some way to power up, power down these chargers at least once a day, maybe more, i.e. some type of timer...

The other thing we are looking for, and I have seen them advertised in the past, just can't find one now, is a large shoulder-strap mounted battery pack that has a plug-in battery replacement pack for the Dewalts mentioned above. If I remember right these are the equivilant of three or four batteries, and pretty much allow you to remove roof of an entire vehicle without a battery swap.

If anyone has any info on either subject, please e-mail me: sjbfd@hollinet.com - It would be greatly appreciated!

Rick Cokley
    Fire Chief
    San Juan Bautista (CA) Fire Dept.

MembersZone Subscriber

have you thought of using a shoreline connected to the truck while it is in station and rewire the charger where it will charge while in station and also when the batteries are on. we use the same sawzall as you'all do but being career we usually charge them more but we also have problems like the batteries run down to quick. usually we can take a roof, take a door and make a third door on one battery.

be safe always

Forum Member

That is one of the reasons I, personally, don't care for the cordless tools on emergency scenes. I won't get off topic on that though.

I do believe DeWalt makes an adapter for the cordless Recip saws, that looks like a battery, but has a cord to run off of a generator.... just somethin to think about as a back-up for when your batteries are dead.....

Forum Member

Default EXTEND - A - BATTERY

I have seen the Powerhawk package for the DeWalt cordless. It is the same power pack designed for the Powerhawk rescue tool. The ad states "TURN MINUTES INTO HOURS". I dont know the purchessing particulars, but atleast its a direction you can look into.
    Joe
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

MembersZone Subscriber

A Posting from Forum Moderator Ron Moore

Chief Cokley:

You reported that your DeWalt chargers they shut themselves off after completing a charge, and do not activate again until power is removed/returned. This isn't what is happening. The entire DeWalt line of chargers, from the 7.2 volt to the 24-volt, work in three stages as a depleted battery is charged.

First stage) 1 Hour Fast Charging
    Provides the maximum charge of the battery within 1 hour.

Second stage) 1-3 Hour Equalization
    Each individual cell is fully charged to maximum battery pack performance and life.

Third stage) Maintenance Charge
    A trickle charge maintains the full charge of the battery pack when left on the charger after equalization stage.

I leave batteries on charge for months at a time and they are always fully ready when I go to use them for vehicle rescue.

If however, the charger unit loses its source of electricity(as when your apparatus is shut off), it will actually drain the battery down to nothing.

You'll have to see that you have shoreline power to the apparatus and to the chargers all the time to assure peak battery performance. Do you plug your rigs in when in quarters?

The longer duration battery pack you are referring to is the Nomad by Fiskars Company. I don't know how to get ahold of them any more.

Most departments have gone with the 24volt DeWalt recip saw system. The battery has more juice, lasts longer, and there is an AC/DC converter that makes the saw go from cordless to a corded unit in seconds.
    Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
    www.universityofextrication.com

Forum Member

Default DeWalt 12 volt chargers

We also have the DeWalt 12 volt chargers mounted in two of our apparatus, and the model we have DOES shut itself off as Chief Cokley describes. The model we have is DW9109 (http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/at...productID=1890), and it is designed to shut itself off after 16 hours. This is a feature designed for contractors who recharge their batteries in their trucks to prevent them from killing their vehicle battery. We rotate the batteries on a regular basis to keep them charged up, but if someone has a good idea regarding the shut-down issue let please let me know. We could have put the AC powered chargers in the vehicles and power them from the shoreline, but with about 5 calls a day, the battery charger would be cycling an awful lot - I don't think that would be good for the batteries either.

I searched quite a bit for the Fiskars Nomad system - this is/was a belt pack that held 3 DeWalt batteries and tripled your run time. I can't locate anything on them, maybe they're out of production. If anyone knows if they're still available, let us know. As for SANDSTROMJM's post on the Powerhawk system, I believe this is a Milwaukee accessory, not DeWalt.

I contacted DeWalt awhile back as to why they made a vehicle charger for the 18 volt series but not the 24 volt, and also why they made a 120 volt corded adapter for the 24 volt series, but not the 18 volt. They didn't have an answer...

The cordless stuff can't be beat for portability, and the corded units cut forever, although you're chained to the generator. Best option - carry both!
    R.A. Ricciuti
    Mt. Lebanon Fire Department

MembersZone Subscriber

Dewalt now makes an in-vehicle 24V charger

part # DW0249 or DW0246 (I haven't quite figured out what the difference between the two is).

Check out http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/pro...mId=1613497218

MembersZone Subscriber

I contacted Fiskars today and they no longer make the "Nomad" battery system...The shoreline power ideas are good, but we have been trying to figure out something that will work away from the station as well, without spending a bundle, hence the 12V chargers... and they do indeed shut-off after a period of time, which is the root of our problem! - Keep the ideas coming, if ya got any! Thanks, Rick

MembersZone Subscriber

Chief:

Here's another alternative. The DW9109 charger that you have is programmed to stop charging after 16 continuous hours. This is because it is a 12-volt power unit and DeWalt didn't want contractors to have their vehicle battery go dead because the battery charger was left plugged in.

There is nothing you can do about that; the shut down feature is programmed into the computer chip within the unit. It is, however, the only DeWalt charger unit that has this feature.

Here is something else for you to try. DeWalt makes a 110-volt battery charger designed to charge 18-volt recip saw batteries. It is model DW9116. It is programmed to NOT shut down because running on household current, there is no need to have an automatic shutdown feature.

Go to Radio Shack and buy a 110-volt converter for the apparatus. That addition would give you 110-volts of AC through an outlet of the converter inside the rig. Hook up an in-station electric shoreline. Replace the cigarette lighter, 12-volt charger that you now have with a 110-volt unit. Park the apparatus inside the station and plug in the shoreline. Place the recip saw battery in the new 110-volt charger that is plugged into the new 110-volt converter.

Now you have eliminated the shutdown concern unique to only the 12-volt DeWalt charger unit.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here's another option. DeWalt makes a 110-volt charger for 18-volt batteries (#DW9117) that will recharge a fully depleted 18-volt battery in 15 minutes. If the battery isn't fully discharged, then the full charge time is even less.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

Ron,
    Thanks for the ideas... I think the inverter idea may do the trick!
    Rick

Thread Information