Thread: Good forum!

Thumbs up Good forum!

First, as a non-firefighter/emt, I hope you all don't mind me "intruding" into your website!

Secondly, as a member of the media, I am so happy to see that you have added a section on media relations. It seems as if many firefighters are wary of the media, and quite a few of us don't fully understand what you folks do on a daily basis. If I had a nickel for every time I heard a reporter complaining that the chief can't come talk to us NOW, I'd be well on my way to retirement!

The television station I work for has a very good working relationship with most of the departments and agencies in our area, but there is always room for improvement.

I look forward to some good discussions on how we can interact better with you folks, and how you can use us more efficiently to communicate with the public and make our communities safer.

Happy holidays, and a big thank you to all you guys and gals for everything you do!

Joe McCloskey
    Photojournalist, WGHP-Fox 8
    High Point, NC

Forum Member

Default Hay Joe

Just dropping in to say I am so glad to see you here.

Why? You will find out soon enough dear Joe.

Welcome aboard and don't feel like the lone ranger, I too am not an employee of Public Safety.

Forum Member

Joe:
    The main good I can see coming from this forum is that another incident will not happen like it did in your area a few years ago when firefighters turned a hose on 2 cameramen at an accident scene.

I used the video of that incident at the recent PR class I taught and the students couldn't believe that it actually happened.

Hopefully it never will again.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Forum Member

Default Welcome JoeFox8!

Being on both sides of the fence as a free lance writer-reporter and a firefighter, I can understand what the members of the news media need for information to meet airtimes and deadlines!

I have a degree in Public Communications, serve as my FD's Pubilc Education and Information Officer and also serve as a moderator on PR and PIO issues on two other firefighter websites.

As firefighters, we use this website and others to learn from each other, share new ways of doing things, have a few laughs and support one another in times of sorrow. Feel free to email me if you have any questions or comments!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Default Captain Gonzo

Just got a look at your signature.

Isn't crust what keeps the inside fresh?

Posted by dragonfyre:

"The main good I can see coming from this forum is that another incident will not happen like it did in your area a few years ago when firefighters turned a hose on 2 cameramen at an accident scene."

What happened??? I didn't hear about that. It must have happened before I moved to NC. Do tell...

Forum Member

I'll have to dig up the exact info, date, place etc., but there was a problem a few years back where 2 news cameramen were doused with a hose when they wouldn't take orders from a chief on the scene. The chief had no fire gear on, I don't know if they didn't know who he was, don't know why they weren't wanted but it turned out to be a big mess when they got the hose turned on them.

I first saw the tape at FDIC in 2000, got a copy and have been using it since. I'll send you a private e-mail when I get the info.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified

Thanks...I'll be looking for the email when you get a chance. I'm interested to learn what led up to that incident.

At most big fire scenes, especially if they're in the 'hood, there are so many "looky-lou's" as we call them, who come out of the woodwork when they see a camera and want to give a "shout-out" to their friends. Most of the time, trying to get rid of those kind of people is more difficult than trying to shoot your video and get info from the fire chief!!

At any rate, if the cameramen were getting in the way and not following orders, they deserved to be doused! Wonder what they told their bosses when they came back soaking wet?

I'm a firefighter/freelance journalist who is mighty glad to see this section. Good job webteam. I'm actually proud of you guys. Now, if you can just get the women's forum where it belongs.

The Traveling Firefighter
    http://thetravelingfirefighter.com

Never, never, never give up - Winston Churchill

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Just stopped in to see what the PIO's and Media folks are talking about.

I would like to thank you for all of your efforts at getting the fire safety, water safety, you-name-it (we respond to it) safety information out to the public.

FD-media relations play an important role in making it happen.

Keep up the good work!
    An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of suppression! Sometimes even more!

Forum Member

Hey joe im in Winston Salem in the Pfafftown area.
    No longer an explorer, but I didn't wanna lose my posts.

IACOJ 2003

Originally posted by dragonfyre
    Joe:
    The main good I can see coming from this forum is that another incident will not happen like it did in your area a few years ago when firefighters turned a hose on 2 cameramen at an accident scene.

I used the video of that incident at the recent PR class I taught and the students couldn't believe that it actually happened.

Hopefully it never will again.
    omg, where can i see video of this??
    Shane
    Do not fear to step into the unknown...for where there is risk, there is also reward.

MembersZone Subscriber

YES! Where can I get a copy of this tape?

Rich Gardiner
    Office of Public Relations/Media Relations
    Bel Air Vol Fire Co. Inc. (Harford Co.)
    109 South Hickory Ave
    Bel Air, MD 21014
    3145@bavfc.org
    410-977-0587

Forum Member

I received the tape from the PIO of a company in Oregon. I don't know if it's copywritten or not.

If you send a VHS tape and postage to mail it back to me at my fire house I'll copy it and send it, if Tim says it's okay.
    Steve Dragon

Forum Member

Lightbulb This is a good thread

Why has it died? Did the media get better or worse?

Forum Member

Red face

The thread is dead because most of us just haven't got the time.

Forum Member

Red face Oh

Yeah, I forgot that one little, small detail. LOL, you are right.

I just thought I would come in and stir up a little activity. I have heard some folks are not feeling positive about speaking up in some of the forums and yet there is sooooo much valuable information to be gleaned from these pages.

Don't forget we are the captians of our own ships.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Thread Isn't Dead!

we are just sleeping...

Well, how about we change that.

Name all the seasonal fire safety campaigns for your area of the world.

Here in Arizona we have:

Christmas Tree/Light Safety--listed lights, no candles around trees; away from heat sources; water daily; remove soon after the holiday.

Seasonal Hiking Safety--Right now its snakes coming out of hibernation; when it gets a little warming, we'll switch to warm weather hiking precautions.

Water Safety--Is more or less year-round here. "Watch Your Kids Around Water"; "Just a Few Seconds", etc.

Seasonal Heating Precautions--As the weather cools down; CO hazards, portable heaters; annual maintenace of furnaces.

Candle Safety--Pretty much year round, with more going into the holiday season.

Barbeque Safety--

Areas that need work>>>hazards of flammable and combustible liquids, gases and vapors.

What else can you think of, or is unique to your area?

Dwight
    An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of suppression! Sometimes even more!

Forum Member

Talking Hi Dwight

Sounds like media opportunities abound. I just recently received a press release from our fire admin and listed was something of great interest there and something only thought law enforcement did, but of course you all are more safety minded than law enforcement so it sounds like a natural to me.

Feb.28 a special car seat event took place at the new Holiday Chevrolet dealership in St. Cloud. 20 car seats were checked. 18 had errors.

High error rate wouldn't you say?

We also have in our state a law allowing a mother who does not want to reveal her identity to drop off her unwanted baby to any fire department, no questions asked. I suppose if you only have a volunteer fire station this could be difficult as they are not always open, but the law has already saved a few babies lives.

MembersZone Subscriber

There really is a lot going on out there!

We do car seat checks as part of a public-private coalition. It is a testament to what can happen when you form non-traditional partnerships. We are finding mis-use rates of about 75% currently. When it first started, rates similar to what lilsisterosceol mentions were the norm.

Do not know about the rest of you but - I have had to hit all the Homeland Security/Emergency Preparedness items pretty hard. Of course, bordering the nation's capitol, folks are a little more sensitive to that around here.
    Bill Delaney

Program Manager - Community Safety Education

Montgomery County Fire & Rescue

101 Monroe St., 12th Floor

Rockville, MD 20850

(O) 240.777.2448

(P) 301.629.2306

(C) 301.648.1262

http://www.mcfrs.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Our fire department gives out free gun locks

also great thread as well...I am also a freelance reporter and former radio dj as well as a volunteer firefighter.

Thread Information