Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Default Hello from the media...

Hello all,

I am not a firefighter or emt..I am a photojournalist (cameraman) for a television station in High Point, North Carolina.

I consider myself a "guest" in your website, so I thought I'd take a minute and introduce myself. Hope you don't mind me coming in!

I have posted a thread in the media relations section...check it out and tell me what you think.

Happy Holidays to you all!

Joe

Sr. Information Officer NJFFSA16's Avatar

Thumbs up Welcome aboard Joe.

While I may be a firefighter at heart...with over thirty-two years in municipal and wildland firefighting....I also work for ABC News in New York as an ENG editor. I'm currently working the overnight for ABC...and I'm also paid on-call for the NJ Forest Fire Service. I am assigned to Wildland engine A-16, which is kept at my home. In reality, I am on call 24/7 for the State of NJ.

After 27 years at the network...I've seen both sides. As a photojournalist, you can help provide valuable insight to forum members who may have questions on dealing with the media.

Great to hear from you!
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Hello there, NJFFSA16,

Thanks for the warm welcome. Great to see that I'm not the only media guy in here!

I don't know if you guys got hit with the big ice storm that we got, but power was knocked out to more than half of North Carolina a couple of weeks ago. People were buying generators who had no idea how to use them. They were putting them inside their houses with no ventilation outside. Other folks were heating their homes with kerosene heaters and charcoal grills, with no ventilation. Every day we worked with local fire departments, to warn people of the dangers of doing this, but despite our efforts, several people in our area died of co2 poisoning, and countless others were sent to the hospital. It's kinda hard to get the message across when the majority of the viewers don't have power to watch television.

I really became aware of the media's obligation to the public to constantly remind them how to be safe. You gotta keep pounding it in, and hopefully it will sink in eventually.

Anyway, I was chatting with some of the firefighters as we were preparing to do a live shot one night. That's how I found out about this site.

Hope you stay safe up there in Jersey. And hopefully the edit gods will give you some time off to enjoy the holidays!!

Hey...if you ever run into my former colleague, mid-day anchor John Snyder...

from the NBC affiliate in Charlotte...you tell him I said hello. He was one of our favorites here on the overnight!

Forum Member

Default news anchor

John Snyder works at NBC6 in Charlotte NC. You may be able to contact him at WWW.NBC6.COM

Hope this helps
    GOD BLESS THOSE WHO WENT BEFORE US

Default Re: news anchor

Originally posted by 2dresq
    John Snyder works at NBC6 in Charlotte NC. You may be able to contact him at WWW.NBC6.COM

Thanks...I have his e-mail address, but thought joefox8 might run in to John...and say, "Hey...do you know so and so?"

Thanks anyway!

we don't go down to charlotte very often...and they don't come up here to greensboro much. if he's an anchor, i doubt i'd see him out in the field anyway. you know how those anchors are..never leaving the building!!!

but i'll keep my eyes and ears open next time i'm down there!

Thread Information