Thread: Eye Protection

Default Eye Protection

My volunteer deparment is venturing into the world of vehicle extrication. With our equipment to arrive in a few weeks (and much training to follow) we are evaluating such things as SOP's, personal protection, etc.. I have some questions regarding eye protection that some experience may be able to answer.

1. NFPA guidelines require goggles for splash and flying debris protection. Faceshields for secondary protection. Does this require or do you recommend NFPA approved extrication/firefighting goggles?
    2. Do OSHA approved safety glasses such as Cairnes Vision Flex meet specifications?
    3. If both are adaquate, do you have recommendations on either?
    4. IF NFPA approved goggles are required, do you have recommendations, such as helmet mounted vs. helmet clip on vs. full rubber strap?

I have gotten some feedback from another dept. that they have "visibility" issue with full NFPA goggles and prefer OSHA complaint safety goggles. Your input is appreciated.
    Dan LaRue
    Lieutenant
    Elkmont Volunteer Fire Dept.

Your talents are a gift from God
    How you use them are your gift to God.

dazed and confused

Here are the requirement's, courtesy of ESS Goggles and N2DFIRE.

http://www.essgoggles.com/products/NFPA.html

Personally, I went back to a face shield for facial protection, with some nice safety glasses for eye protection. I've tried the goggles--both cheap and expensive--and have come back to this setup. Works the best for me.

The most comfortable, imho, are ESS goggles. I don't like how they can get trashed on my helmet though. I wasn't a fan of carrying them in my pocket either. And sometimes they don't fit correctly with a helmet on. Supposedly they have new ones that are extremely resistant to fogging.

Cairns Vision Flex... tried them once, hated them. They just don't feel right. Personal preference I guess.

I have something like these. They fit great, don't fog up, have clear lenses for night and EMS use, and sunglass-style lenses for double-duty use as sunglasses.

Last edited by Resq14; 12-17-2002 at 09:57 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Dan:

When I conduct University of Extrication seminars, I require participants to don a certain level of protective clothing. This is to comply with both NFPA and OSHA requirements. Possibly since your department is just getting into the vehicle rescue field, my guidelines for training can be of help to you. I think these could be modified into a departmental SOP for your membrs who will respond to vehicle crash scenes.

Personal Protective Clothing and Equipment for Practical Evolutions!

The following personal protective clothing and equipment is required for each individual participating in the hands-on practical rescue evolutions;

Head Protection-
    Fire Department helmet or OSHA-compliant industrial-style hardhat

Eye Protection-
    Eye protection must consist of OSHA-compliant safety glasses or goggles with side shields.

NO flip-down helmet face shield can be used alone as eye protection.

Safety goggles or glasses must be donned by all participants.

Body Protection-
    Fire department style turnout coat with bunker pants.

If approved by the participantís authority having jurisdiction, in lieu of a structural turnout coat, a Wildland brush-style jacket is acceptable worn over heavy work pants or bunker pants due to the controlled circumstances presented within this technical rescue training program.

Long-sleeved coveralls are acceptable as body protection if approved by the participantís authority having jurisdiction.

Steel-toed high-topped work boots are acceptable in lieu of rubber firefighting boots when used with bunker pants.

Foot Protection-
    Fire department boot or steel-toed work boots used with bunker pants.

Hand Protection-
    Structural firefighting gloves are acceptable.

Leather-palmed work gloves are acceptable.

The new generation of extrication gloves available from several manufacturers are also permitted.

Hearing Protection-
    Hearing protection should be available for use by all participants. Typically a box of disposable ear plugs are provided by the Host agency.

It can also be the responsibility of the individual participant to obtain adequate hearing protection.
    Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
    www.universityofextrication.com

Relatively cheap Safety Glasses. Scratch 'em enough and chuck 'em.

IIRC, department policy (to comply with OSHA) is we will buy prescription safety glasses for those who need them. I know we do buy prescription lenses for use in SCBA masks.

Forum Member

Our dept has required us to have goggles on our helmets which i cant stand. Every time u get in a fire they get dirty and scratched and i dont like the visibility. I still have safety goggles i carry in a pocket. I use them for overhaul, bloody ems situations, tech rescue, and extrication all for the hefty price of 2 bucks. And since they are soo cheap when they get scratched up I get a new pair.

Thanks everyone for the replies! My utmost confidence in this forum for help is again confirmed.

rmoore: yes, we have already modified our SOP's to include Personal Protective Clothing, very similiar to what you outlined.

The sad part about all this is, extrication is currently being handled county wide by a rescue squad. These guys show up with NO protective clothing... maybe a few with gloves and coverals. In a recent rollover extrication (we already had the vehicle stabilized and raised with airbags), I actually had to pull one of their personnel away from the vehicle. He had shorts, a tank top, sneakers with no socks, no gloves, but he did have his helmet on. And this squad is upset that we are getting into extrication! Oh, and there average response is 15 to 20 minutes.
    Dan LaRue
    Lieutenant
    Elkmont Volunteer Fire Dept.

Your talents are a gift from God
    How you use them are your gift to God.

Forum Member

We are required to wear safety glasses which meet ANSI Z87.1.

From http://www.visionrx.com/library/enc/enc_ansi.asp
    The ANSI Z87.1 standard sets forth requirements for the design, construction, testing, and use of eye protection devices, including standards for impact and penetration resistance. All safety glasses, goggles, and face shields used by employees under OSHA jurisdiction must meet the ANSI Z87.1 standard. The eyewear standard includes the following minimum requirements:
    Provide adequate protection against the hazards for which they are designed
    Be reasonably comfortable
    Fit securely, without interfering with movement or vision
    Be capable of being disinfected if necessary, and be easy to clean
    Be durable
    Fit over, or incorporate, prescription eyewear
    Many manufacturers of sports eyewear and other protective eyewear not used in a work environment also comply with the ANSI Z87.1 standard. If you need protective eyewear of any kind, look for products that comply with the ANSI standard or consult with an optometrist, ophthalmologist, or optician before purchasing.
    This works great for us.

Stay Safe

Forum Member

Folks like me who have to wear prescription glasses have a hard time finding the right answer to this one. Goggles steam up and are not comfortable. I cannot afford a pair of safety glasses with side protection. I end up wearing my glasses with the helmet shield down so that I can look at all the scratches. We are switching helmets ad going to Borke Flip-down shields. When we get those, I will be in a dilemma. Anyone got any ideas for me?
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

Hey Metal!,Buddy!Before I developed old timers disease,I used to have to wear glasses.I've got a pair of UVEX safety with side doors that slipped right over the glasses,no problemo.Don't know if that's a help or not.T.C.

Default Over the glass safety glasses

Metalmedic and others

Check the Grainger website, WWW.Grainger.com and keyword search OTG safety glasses.

The glasses are designed to fit over street glasses and work reasonably well.

They range in price from 4.97 to 10.00 and are a really good tool to use. I keep several in my car and toolboxes. I even keep one in my trucks jump kit (yep I still carry one).

You never know when you might need them and they have the advantage of being easy to replace if needed.

The important thing to remember about safety glasses though, if they have scratches replace them. My eye doctor is death on scratched glasses and claims they can promote focusing problems.

Have a happy New Year

Kevin
    Metro Detroit

Thread Information