Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Post Orlando Florida--Apartment Fire...Victim removed...dies later

ORLANDO SENTINEL

Man dies after fire debris buries him in apartment

By Amy C. Rippel | Sentinel Staff Writer
    Posted December 17, 2002

A 58-year-old man who was found barely alive under rubble in his burning apartment Monday evening died in a local hospital, authorities said.

It took about30 minutes for firefighters to removeEddie Galloway from under a pile of insulation and other debris in his second-floor apartment at Magruder Village Apartments, located in the Guardian Care Nursing and Rehab Center grounds on John Young Parkway. Flames had engulfed the dwelling.

Paramedics foundGalloway had heart activity but no pulse or respiration, said Orlando Assistant Fire Chief Kathy Miller.

Galloway was taken to Orlando Regional Medical Center, where he later died.He didn't have any significant burns on his body, Miller said.

"Sometimes when there's a lot of debris you can miss somebody very easily," Miller said. "You always hope you can revive him."

Orlando fire investigators are trying to determine the cause and origin of the blaze.

Firefighters got the call for the fire shortly after 6 p.m. and by 6:25 the flames were doused. The flames were shooting through the roof and windows, prompting worried neighbors to call out forGalloway.

"Some of the people were yelling at him to come out," neighbor John Williams.

Once the flames were out, firefighters uncoveredGalloway in a small, narrow kitchen.

At first, authorities at the scene said he wasdead, but later they found he had very random heart activity, Miller said.

"If we get that kind of activity, then we have to work him," she said.

Several people were put out of their homes after the fire.Firefighters had to board up at least six apartmentsdamaged in the blaze.

Amy C. Rippel can be reached at arippel@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-5736.
    Last edited by captstanm1; 12-17-2002 at 09:55 AM.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Thread Information