Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question Florida FF Certification?

I'm pursuing a job with a career dept in Southern Florida and have found that they all require a State of Florida certification.
    I'm certified in Mass. as FFI/II and also nationally through the NBFSQ. Will Florida require me to take their tests and training or will they grant me the certification given my credentials in Mass?
    Also does anyone have any experience relocating to FL from other parts of the country?

Thanks

Forum Member

Yes. You need to contact the Florida State Fire Marshals office. Nationaly cert FF2 persons can challenge the Florida State FF2 test much like NREMT's can. Also check with the Florida State Fire College in Ocala. Good Luck!

Forum Member

I believe this is true, I also think that if you receive a FL firefighter certification, then you can pay a small fee (I think like $10) and then be able to take your certification anywhere in the Nation...is that pretty close to the truth FireMedic?

He says he already has National certifications.

It is a chore I can tell you that. The State Fire Marshalls is the controller for the Flrodia Fire College in Ocala. I challenged the test and WOW!!!!

After 32 years in the service (19 Career and 32 Volunteer) they told me I did not have enough training education and experience to challenge initially.

You will have to have all of the following:

>Copy of state certificates
    >Copy of National Certs...(go on line and see what ones florida recognizes)
    >Sylabus of the classes you took that relate to F/F
    Must include a breakdown of the subjects and hours in each subject
    >An official copy of your training record from your state agency that controlls the training
    >Florida Fingerprint Card
    >Passport type photo
    >Include EMS training also.....especially if you have EMT
    >College level classes that relate are helpful also (official transcript required)
    >National Fire Academy Classes if you have any.

You will have to show them that you have met all the qualifications and hours they require. The burden of proof will be on you. It took me almost 10 months to succeed. The first package of information I sent them was about 3/4" thick and that was still not enough. You will have to go through your paperwork and point out to them everything that relates.

Good Luck!!!!

Where are you planning on working?
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Does anyone have experience relocating to Florida from other parts of the country?!! Everyone down here is from another part of the country.

Thanks for the input so far...

Blacksheep, I meant FFs relocating to FL. Info as it relates to the first part of my ?

Captstan, Your answer is pretty much what I expected. I've sent all my class certs and any other paperwork I could find to them already but have not heard back yet. I got the list of hours required off their website...Wow. Did you end up having to take the tests or did they grant you the certificate without it?

I'm looking at a few departments, I'm trying to narrow it down to Martin or Palm Beach Counties. Stuart FD would be ideal since I have family there. From what I've read they are continually accepting apps.

Would I be better off to just enroll in the Fla. school or keep pursuing the challenge? It doesn't look like I'll be able to come up with the hours they require even though I've got the cert already.

As far as EMS/EMT. Mass only requires First Responder, I've been on the job for 6 years and have concentrated on Fire related classes, doing only the minimum for EMS(CPR/AED/First Resp.) I am starting an EMT course 22 Jan. though. From what I've seen so far most depts. like medics though. Looks like I've got a long road ahead of me. No wonder they have a shortage of qualified applicants down there!

Unhappy Sorry to say

If you can not document the hours then they will NOT let you challenge. I was finally able to convince them that I was "qualified." So in the end I took the test only..(challenge). They do offer a short 3 day course to prepare you for the test but I did not take it. They are very very knit picky on the practical.....almost to a point where it would seem to be that they wanted you to fail. In fact I failed the practical the first time because they did not like the way I "carried" the 24' ladder.

As far as EMT...if you have a National Registered EMT License that is current, all you have to do is take the Florida Test for State License.

I did manage to get someone (a company that teaches) to let me challenge the first responder test. But since my EMT had lapsed, I hadd to take the entire EMT Class. Leary Technical Institute in Tampa seems to have the best program in this area. (Tampa Area). And yes...there is a shortage of Medics. Some departments will even hire you as a medic with no florida fire certs and send you to the Academy. Some will hire you as a medic if you are in the Fire Academy. On the west coast near Naples, Marco Island Area they do not require any EMS as theirs is all private. So it varies from place to place. But for the most part EMS is required and if you are a medic you can pretty much bargain your hiring conditions relating to fire serts....again....DEPENDS on the DEPARTMENT AND THEIR NEED!

Good Luck!
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Thanks for the info, gives me an idea of what I'm up against.
    BTW, I haven't seen any maximum age restrictions on any job postings. Is this typical for Fla.? I'm 35.

Smile

GrovFire25 I am in the same boat as you. I moved down hear from NJ where I was a vollie for 9 years. I challenge the state twice with no luck. Now I decided to put myself thru the academy. I start in March. Captstanm1 I was wondering are alot of departments on the west coast hiring, if so which ones? I'm looking to get in the Clearwater/St.Pete area. Right now I live in Broward County. Any info would help. Good luck GrovFire25, any info you need I'll see what I can find out.

Kerr109,
    Are you on a vol. dept now? Are you working somewhere else until you get your cert? Are you a Medic?
    What's the Academy cost and how long is it?

Thanks

Kerr, Pasco County is opening several more stations and are hiring. Unfortunately they don't pay what they should but at least it's closer to St. Pete/Clearwater. St. Pete is also hiring here & there about 8-12 at a time each year. See St.pete.org for details.

I know that Pasco County and Hernando County are hiring. Spring Hill may be....but...I do not think that any of them will even talk to you until you have all your certs.

I heard that perhaps Hillsborough County has a program that if you are a MEDIC they will hire you and put you through an academy.

Check with Orange County. I hear that they have 4 different entry levels...UNCONFIRMED

#1 All certifications F/F II and EMT
    #2 EMT Only (They put you through standards)
    #3 F/F II only (They put your through EMT)
    #4 No certs.....obviously they train you completely here...

I know that Kissimmee is hiring but am sure that they will require certs before hiring.
    BMI Investigator

First things first, GroveFire25 yes I am a volunteer with Palm Beach County. BlackSheep1 thanks for the info once i'm certified as firefighter I will be looking into it. CaptStanm1 thanks for the input I know that once I go thru the academy I will have better opportunities. I have already spoken with the recruiter for Orange County. GroveFire25, BlackSheep1 and CaptStanm1 feel free to email me at TowerEngine@aol.com if you have or need any other info. I would gladly help out a brother. CaptStanm1 I'll try and let you know whats burning down this end of the county (Broward) so you can post it.

I have a question about transferring certs. I have both Dept. of Defense and North Carolina Certs. What do I have to do to get my Certs transferred? They are both IFSTA acknowledged. Also where can I go to print off my North Carolina certs?

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

Hillsborough is going to be hiring soon. I have a friend who is a BC there, he says they are planning on opening 20 new houses in the next 10 years (2 a year). Tampa is also going to be hiring. I tried to transfer my certs to FL from OH, but had no luck. I went down there and took the full time academy (3 months) in 2006 and came back to OH. I am currently applying there in FL for jobs. It's nice to know someone, I have several references from guys who work for Hillsborough County and Tampa, which will hopefully help, along with experience. Anyways, I paid 3500 dollars for the class b/c I was considered an out-of-state resident (did not have residency for a year). The other guys in my academy paid around 1500 dollars (in-state). I went to Hillsborough Community College (Ybor Campus). Class was held at Tampa Fire Training Grounds. If you need anymore info let me know!

Thread Information