Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Leaving School

Thumbs up Leaving School

Do you all get to leave school when your pager goes off?

Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

No, and I don't think I should be allowed to either. There is no point of it, because what can we juniors do? That's right, you guessed it... NOTHING! We're young, there will ALWAYS be more fires. Don't fret because you're missing the "Big One", because there was nothing you could do anyways, except maybe hold a ladder and do some exterior ops. Stay in school, get an education, and when you're done with school feel free to go fight fire whenever you want. But if you want to be a career guy, you need to have a HS diploma, and you're not going to get one when you're not there all the time because of fires.
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

In a word... no.

Temporarily/No Longer Active EoneTiller's Avatar

my school used to let ppl in the fire dept leave but not ne more idk why.i would like to be able to leave school when my pager goes off. yes there will be more but i still wanna go to see wuts goin on. maybe sum jrs only hold ladders but for the rest of us that can do morewe will do more. ne ways yea education all the way but i need a break from a class every so often.and if we got a call i would come back to the class and if i missed work id make it up.

MembersZone Subscriber fyrfyter33's Avatar

Um, lets think about how much sense this makes. You are in school to learn, but you leave for an emergency run for a fire dept you are a member of. So while you are gone, you miss out on any learning that takes place. In order to get certifications, you have to have a high school diploma, but thats gonna be difficult, if you are always out of school on some run. Wait til you are done with school, and you actually have your certs, and then you can make all the runs you would like. There is no reason for an explorer/junior/cadet, etc to leave school for a detail. There will be others, and you can't be a decent firefighter or EMT if you don't have a basic education.

SFDny15
    Firehouse.com Guest

Originally posted by EoneTiller
    my school used to let ppl in the fire dept leave but not ne more idk why.i would like to be able to leave school when my pager goes off. yes there will be more but i still wanna go to see wuts goin on. maybe sum jrs only hold ladders but for the rest of us that can do morewe will do more. ne ways yea education all the way but i need a break from a class every so often.and if we got a call i would come back to the class and if i missed work id make it up.
    Judging by your spelling and grammar, I think it would be in your best interest to stay in school during calls.

There is absolutely no reason for a junior firefighter to leave school for a fire call. You cannot do interior work, and most are limited in the exterior work you can do. You probably have 20-30+ years of firefighting ahead of you, for the next 2-4 years (not sure how old you are), I think yourself and the department will survive if you do not make the call. Infact, I believe that ALL departments with juniors should have a by-law stating that juniors cannot under any circumstances leave school for a fire call. Education goes before junior firefighting anyway you look at it. I think once you have your high school diploma, you will feel the same way too.

gretnajrff2293

First of all - Welcome to the Forums step-neighbor-in-law once removed.

Next - the whole Jr's leaving school issue is one of many "Discussed to death" topics here. The following threads were from the past year alone. (I know you're new here so you didn't know that, so don't take this as a negative comment against / toward you)

New school year and explorers/Jrs
    leaving school
    Can you wear your pager in school?
    Explorers allowed to leave school?

If you go back and read through some of them, I think you're going to find that the overwhelming majority of people don't think that Jr's (Explorers, Cadets, or what have you) should be allowed to leave school to answer alarms.

I also happen to be one of the people who share that opinion. To borrow a phrase - This ain't your Fathers Fire Service. The days of "Put water on Fire - Fire goes out - Job Done" are long gone. Today's fire service has advanced so much in technology (both in equipment & procedures) that an education beyond High School is *almost* mandatory. More so if you ever plan to progress off the line and into the "World of the White Shirts".

I started as a Jr. myself. I wanted to be able to leave school and run calls too (Anybody's calls I didn't care). So believe me when I say that I know and understand where all you Jr's are coming from.

Just like you trust the Wisdom & Experience of Sr. FF's on the fire ground, trust that same knowledge and experience here as well. Stay in school. Be the best student you can. Get your education. The time to fight fires and run Rescue & EMS calls WILL come - I promise, but during school hours is not that time.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

i'm not even alowed to have my pager in school.
    never forget 343 FDNY
    in memory of 40 ENGINE/35 TRUCK
    normal people spend their life's avoiding intense situations.....a fireman's life is an intence situation.

First off, it's really rude and immature of the people who said us juniors do "nothing." That is not true. Maybe in the bigger departments, juniors aren't appreciated, but in my department as well as many others around here, us juniors can be assets. We had a decent house fire the other day and we arrived 2nd engine on scene with a crew of 4. (I was the only junior). Not to pat myself on the back, but I helped one of our maskmen grab our supply line off the truck and run it up an uphill driveway to the first engine in. Then I came back and hooked up a 5 inch supply line in which the 3rd engine in reverse layed from our engine to the hydrant. The driver and my asst. chief said if it wasnt for me, the driver and another maskman would of had to do it, slowing up the time that we supplied the first engine in with water, which could of been dangerous for the maskmen already inside on the first 2 attack lines. So don't say us juniors do "nothing." Especially during the daytime, when crews are a lot smaller. My Chief wrote a letter to my school and my school allows me to carry my pagers and leave for fire calls. I've done it before and I'm still to the firehall to either just catch the first engine or I make the 2nd Engine. My Captain told me it's "important" for me to be in school, and it's my choice to leave, but I always leave because you never ever know what can happen at anytime and where I'll be needed. Even if it's something as little as rolling hose. Any work I miss in school, I am given time to make-up and I always do. Our department is very strict about our grades in school and our Chief asks to see our report cards each time we get them. If we are doing poorly, we are suspended until our grade or grades improve. None of us have that problem though, and I know how important school is, but I also know helping others is important to me and I'm willing to sacrifice a little bit of education for one day to help another person in need. -Justin

Angry about fyrfyter33's comments

Originally posted by fyrfyter33
    Um, lets think about how much sense this makes. You are in school to learn, but you leave for an emergency run for a fire dept you are a member of. So while you are gone, you miss out on any learning that takes place. In order to get certifications, you have to have a high school diploma, but thats gonna be difficult, if you are always out of school on some run. Wait til you are done with school, and you actually have your certs, and then you can make all the runs you would like. There is no reason for an explorer/junior/cadet, etc to leave school for a detail. There will be others, and you can't be a decent firefighter or EMT if you don't have a basic education.
    According to what you said in the quote above, you said that you have to have a h.s. diploma to get your certifications. THAT IS ALL BULL. I am the only jr. ever in VA history to have taken Firefighter II, successfully pass with flying colors, have Haz-Mat Ops, and all that. I was still in 11th grade when I passed FF1! I am also in the top 5 in my EMT class at the moment. I will not graduate until June 2003. Think about these things before you post another message again. THANK YOU!
    We fight what you fear. FDNY will always be remembered.

Default THANK YOU TO FIREFIGHTER22JP!

Thank you for your response. That sums up everything that I have been trying to express in my last post before I got KICKED OFF! I am sure gretnajrff2293 thanks you alot too.

SFDny15
    Firehouse.com Guest

Originally posted by FIREFIGHTER22JP
    My Chief wrote a letter to my school and my school allows me to carry my pagers and leave for fire calls. I've done it before and I'm still to the firehall to either just catch the first engine or I make the 2nd Engine. My Captain told me it's "important" for me to be in school, and it's my choice to leave, but I always leave because you never ever know what can happen at anytime and where I'll be needed. Even if it's something as little as rolling hose. Any work I miss in school, I am given time to make-up and I always do. Our department is very strict about our grades in school and our Chief asks to see our report cards each time we get them. If we are doing poorly, we are suspended until our grade or grades improve. None of us have that problem though, and I know how important school is, but I also know helping others is important to me and I'm willing to sacrifice a little bit of education for one day to help another person in need. -Justin
    Well, I congratulate you on the job well done at that fire, but I think your Chief is making a mistake by allowing you to leave school to respond. In fact, I am amazed that the Principal or school board would allow students to leave for fire calls.

Now, I fully understand the need for manpower during the day, I have experienced it many times. Although I think the IC should think about calling for mutual aid before allowing juniors to leave school. Like I said before, you guys only have a few more years of school, and most likely being a junior... wait.

Originally posted by Juniorfire54

According to what you said in the quote above, you said that you have to have a h.s. diploma to get your certifications. THAT IS ALL BULL. I am the only jr. ever in VA history to have taken Firefighter II, successfully pass with flying colors, have Haz-Mat Ops, and all that. I was still in 11th grade when I passed FF1! I am also in the top 5 in my EMT class at the moment. I will not graduate until June 2003. Think about these things before you post another message again. THANK YOU!
    Well good for you. Continuing with N2DFire's post, in today's fire service, aside from any fire-related training, you still need a basic education. Whether it is required on paper or not, I feel you still need your basic education in order to apply and use any of the fire training you have received.

Personally I do not care if you are the best trained individual in the country, you are still a junior, and when the whistle blows while you are in school, you need to stay right there.

If I was a junior and still in high school, I would probably have the same feeling you guys have. I'm sure once you graduate and eventually become firefighters, you will have the same feeling as me.

Forum Member

i think that in certain occassion jr's/explorers/cadets should be able to leave. i know that under certain weather conditions, etc. that they should get to leave. if it is windy, icy or extremely dry.
    if it is windy, or extremely dry in the time that mutual aid can get there the fire could have spread to other buildings. we had a barn fire last spring that started in one barn and spread to another by the time i got on scene about 10 minutes after the call (was about 3 miles on the opposite side of town and caught ride in POV) the first barn was completely down on the ground. If it is icy or cold there is no such thing as too many firefighters at a MVA or fire. our principle (jack***) said that we (me and other jr)cant leave but nobody listens to him and im not going to be the first. if i get there and the chief says go back to school ill go back but if he doesnt then our principle is going to be s.o.l. whats he going to do give me a detention, or suspension. that will make him look real good to the school board (already has tried to get a well respected teacher fired)because most of the school board is on the fire department or huge supporters of the fire department or have relatives on the fire department. I think he (principle) knows hes on thin ice with the community and school board. We are lucky to get 3 or 4 guys at a fire. we need:
    -1 to run pump
    -at least 2 ff's to attack fire
    -between 2 and 3 people to run trucks for water.
    -and usually 1 person to bring out brush truck (helps to put out secondary grass or field fires, needs at least 2 people to use front discharges (one to drive and one to spray)).
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

Guys, please, don't be so hard headed. You all wanna be firefighters and want to do your best to get there, but you're not gonna get past being a vollie if you don't stay in school. Most departments require college credits or military service time before they'll hire you, weather you're super firefighter with tons of certs or not. You won't get into college or the military without having first completed high school. I'm going to graduate next June, go to college, get a degree, spend four years with the Army, and then go and apply for a job as a firefighter. It's the only way that makes sense. If I get injured and can't work as a firefighter anymore, I'll have a college degree to fall back on so I can go to work somewhere else and not end up as some bum living on the street. There will always be another fire, another MVA, another time for you to prove your worth to the department. Be cool, stay in school .

Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

Well said, SAR! Juniorfire54, calm down just a tick man, maybe the things you need for certifications in 33's state are different from the ones here in VA. Congrats on the accomplishments though, I'll be starting FF1 in February, and I am still in 11th grade. FF2 starts in October, so I'll be taking that senior year.

All of you guys stay safe out there!!!
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

Explorers do not need to have lights in there pov's

Explorers do not need to leave school either

Since our department is not a volunteer FD no one other than the Chief Officer's have pagers

there is no reason for a jr. or explorer to leave school wat so ever...we can pack the hose ourselves if we have too and junior54 i doubt u have taken fire 1 and fire 2 before being 18-- thats impossible. also having juniors leave school is pointless because they cant fight interior fires...
    FIREFIGHTING IS ALL ABOUT ***, BUSTING OURS TO SAVE YOURS!!

MembersZone Subscriber fyrfyter33's Avatar

Default Re: about fyrfyter33's comments

Originally posted by Juniorfire54

WHY DONT YOU THINK ABOUT THIS..............you may have taken the classes and passed everything else, but until you have the certification card in hand, you are nothing. YOu have no proof that you are who you say you are, and you can't even function as a firefighter. No state on the face of this earth, is going to give a certification card in firefighting or EMS to anyone under the age of 18, who doesn't have at least a high school diploma! Why don't you stay in school and learn to read my entire post, and quit skipping school to make fire runs!

Angry

If you all don't believe me so much, I will be glad to send you a copy of all my cert's. I have FF1 and 2, Haz-Mat Ops, Vehicle Extrication, Managing Company and Tactical Ops, and countless hours of inhouse training. I don't see any reason that I couldn't have achieved this under 18. All I had to have was permission from a parent and the chief. THAT'S IT! You should try it sometime man. I don't know how it is where you live, but in VA I CAN AND DID get them. I HAVE PROOF. Email me at juniorfire54@hotmail.com and I will send them to you if you don't believe me! I don't know where ya'll are talking about joining, but you don't have to have any dern college credit courses to get accepted into some major fire departments. Let me know what ones you are looking at. Gretnajrff2293 can vouch that I have these too, we go to school together. And what was that about a certification card too? Also, WHY WOULD YOU SAY THAT I AIN'T A FIREFIGHTER. You don't know me, my dept., or anything about this!
    Last edited by Juniorfire54; 12-19-2002 at 10:25 AM.

No, were not alowed to leave school. however i believe we should be allowed 2...i mean say all the members are at work or something and there two firefighters and ones an engeineer so the one goes in to do a surch whos gonna hook up a line to the hydrant...if we were allowed to we could

Thread Information