Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thumbs up Go IAFF

I would strongly advice going with the IAFF. Here in MO you can contact the Missouri State Council of Firefighters. I believe that your county also has a countywide union, which would be a good thing to join. Strength in numbers, better negotiating power if buying insurance plans, etc.

Good luck,

Ken
    Local 3133

Forum Member

I'm a Union member.
    The committee serves basically at the will of the Chief, you suggest something he doesn't want or like and he'll disband the committee. And what are you guys going to do if he does? NOTHING
    The Union is an International Association with many, many members who have a wealth of information and resources availible to you and your department.

This one is a no brainer to me...

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

cschuten-

Not to stir the pot......but,

- Don't you guy's still use volunteers? Which would be a major problem with the IAFF (I assume).

- Is it relly that bad there, I mean c'mon, you make about 20K more a year than I do for the same job (at least), and you guy's have more tools and toys than any dept. in the county. (not sour grapes, just stating facts).

Are you wanting to join the union to get under the skin of the old Fire Chief you have?

I'm not busting your stones either, you work for a great district. But, I'm confused as to why you guy's want in the IAFF. It can't be a money or staffing issue, it sounds like you are tired of the "won't quit till I die in my office chair" Chief and his ways.

Reguardless, the IAFF would be my choice, ditch the committee idea (or go out back and ram your head into the brick wall for the same effect.) Mabey MO will someday get binding arbitration (yea right), hey, join before Dec. 31 and you can pay $200 for the lost election effort like everyone else, nah, I'd wait till next year too.

Good Luck.

Originally posted by FHandz15

I'm not busting your stones either, you work for a great district. But, I'm confused as to why you guy's want in the IAFF. It can't be a money or staffing issue, it sounds like you are tired of the "won't quit till I die in my office chair" Chief and his ways.

[/B]
    FH, why would they not want to join the IAFF? I mean if i was a polceman I would want to be a join whatever national organization that they have.

Just curious as to why now. They are one of the few depts. out of @42 in the county that are not IAFF. I've been in the union for 5 years, I wasn't telling him not to go IAFF, I said I would do that before I formed a "committee", did you stop reading after that one statement?

Mabey I wasn't clear enough, so here goes, IAFF Good, Commitee BAD. Bread Good, Fire Bad.

Everyone just calm down LOL.

Good Luck on your decision.

Hey, I am cool

Thread Information