Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Post Perspective on the fire service after 9/11

In a month I have to give a talk to a civic organization on how the fire service has been affected since 9/11. I am gathering information but still could use some assistance if anyone has an article, web site or any other source for me to use for the talk. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ed

Temporarily/No Longer Active EoneTiller's Avatar

The Fire Department Reflects on 9/11

Foster City, CA; September 5, 2002

(AN OPEN LETTER FROM FIRE CHIEF PHILIP TORRE)

Nearing the anniversary of the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center, the Pentagon, and the aborted attack that resulted in the passenger airline crash in Pennsylvania, many in our community have asked me and other members of the Fire Department whether these events have changed the way we operate or how we view our profession.

At its most basic level, September 11th was a re-awakening for many in the Fire Service of the dangers we face every day. It was a time of somber reflection on the jobs we do, the training we receive, the preparation we undertake and the tools we have. It forced each of us to reassess the dangers we face and confirm individually that we love and believe in this profession. Since 9-11 we have closed ranks with a recognizable determination, committed to our role of protecting our community. All of us who comprise Foster Cityís firefighting personnel take pride in our jobs, and remain dedicated to protecting community safety while maintaining our own safety through continual training and top-notch equipment.

At another level, since 9-11, Fire Departments around the Country have increased training in response to Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD), Confined Space Rescue and other specialized training. In San Mateo County, the Fire Chiefs Association has made WMD training a priority for all firefighters. San Mateo County Health Department and the San Mateo County Fire Service have cooperated to ensure that response to a potential biohazard or any other mass casualty event is prompt and effective. On a national level, certain specialized training, equipment and advanced technology is being modified for Fire Service application for the first time ever.

We have been gratified by the outpouring of generosity, both monetary and emotional, that has been extended to the Fire Service. In the wake of the attacks, our relatively small Department has been privileged to raise over $10,000 through our Firefighters Association for the effort on the East Coast. As usual, the Foster City community has outdone itself in demonstrating generosity and support for all of the recovery efforts.

For more information call (650) 286-3350 or email fire@fostercity.org

i thought this was very excellant.

Thread Information