Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Viruses???

Forum Member

Angry Viruses???

Beware folks, I just got blasted with 13 emails each containing a virus. The scary thing is, two of the were "supposedly" sent from Captstanm1 and Captain Gonzo. The even scarier thing is that they were sent to my home email addy, which I do not use here period. Now I know that neither Capt sent me a virus, so where, how, when and WTF!!!!!!!!
    Webteam? Do you have any idea how this may have happened?

I got the same thing lady. Several were from members of the forum, whom I do get email from. I checked the msg source and they are all originating from the same computer. I have tried to email the person, and will PM him here, as the email was returned. Subject lines ranged from "a great game", "virus alert", "E Kler removal", "a Merry Christmas", "christmas humor" and other similar things.

I am NOT sending out anything with attachments over the next week to anyone on this or the IACOJ forum. So if you get something that says it is from me and has an attachment. DELETE it, I did not send it, and it is more then likely this same virus propegating itself.

Please if anyone sends anything to me with an attachment, make a note at the top that you intended to send the attachment, or I will delete it without viewing it.

Forum Member

The only thing I can think of is when the Jeremys pictures were emailed out. Thats the only time I have ever used my home address for anything to do with these forums.
    If that is the case then disregard WT. That would have been how my address became involved.
    One of the other subjects dealt with a "powerful new tool" or something like that as well. Be careful what you open

MembersZone Subscriber

Tempie and Lady

I just got the same thing. I was hit with about a dozen emails, all with attachments. My computer has virus protection so it would not let me open them. I just deleted all of them.

They went to my home email too and I have never used my home email here. And I was not on the email list for Jeremy's pictures.

Please be careful. I will not open any emails with attachments unless I am very sure of the sender. And I have not and will not send any out.

Take care and stay safe

Since I originally posted here, I've gotten another 6. I have sent a PM to the person who's computer the emails are originating from. Hopefully it will be sorted out shortly.

What Type of Virus family Tempie? and what are its results on a PC, just to help people be aware of getting virus protection.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

If this helps narrow down where the viruses might have came from, I haven't received any yet. Is there a source that you all may have commonly visited outside of Firehouse.com?
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

Also besides the IACOJ site...as you know I visit there too.

Any communication from me will be done through PM's until things get straightened out. Delete any e-mails from me as they will not be from me.

(To put a bit of a humorous spin on the situation....I'm opening all my email accounts, find no viruses...and feeling much like Charlie Brown on Valentine's Day. "The Hackers didn't care enough to send me the virus...I JUST DON'T MATTER!!! WWAAAHHH!!!)
    Last edited by StayBack500FT; 12-19-2002 at 08:06 AM.

E6511

Sounds to me like a WOT imposter/wannabe. Only the women have gotten them? Hmmm....
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

I did get a reply, and they checked and found a virus but didn't know where they got it, but I have got 2 since then. Hopefully it it will takencare of.............

Here's a hint, copy this email address into your address book:
    !000@nowhere.com
    It is a bogus address that goes nowhere. If a Virus trys to send mail out of your address book, you will receive an "Undeliverable Mail" notice. This is because the address doesn't exist. Also, because it is titled !000, it will become the first address on your list and, in many cases, cancel out the mailing.

As for the "virus" being discussed here, it may be a marketing ploy. Do not return mail to the sender or you will be giving them a viable email account for their list SPAM recipients.

Forum Member

I don't think so 229, my Norton Antivirus caught each of them. Good idea about the bogus address. I have it on my work computer but never thought to do it on home one.

Administrator

There are many, many viruses out there that *spoof* email addresses and make it look like its coming from someone you know, or a trusted source. It could happen any number of ways. Every day, we get emails that even appear to come from 'us' that are just viruses. The best thing you can do it protect your computer with getting the latest anti-virus software and ensuring it comes with auto-matic updates when the latest viruses come out.

Thanks
    WebTeam

WT -- Do these types of emails show up as a "spoof" in the name section...or do they "clone" (???) the actual e-mail address of your friends and associates?

E6511

Forum Member

Yes, it may not be the person that sent it to you.

I had a friend(I'm a computer nerd, and so is he, so basically we have no lives but sitting around and doing stuff with computers, [and of course fighting fires for me!]) send me an email, from me. Now, I personally don't know how to do this, but it doesn't seem to hard to figure out, because he told me which program he used, INSERT COMPUTER BABBLE HERE,...

I'll be back soon with as many (plausable) tips that I can find on preventing viruses, such as the fake email address. That was a good idea.
    Any statements I have made are my statements, and my statements alone.

Did your email message look something like this?

>>>An e-mail delivered to you contained a virus. The virus was
    identified by the XXXXX.XXXXX E-mail Virus Protection system
    using Symantec's Norton Anti Virus Technology. Please contact
    and advise the sender of the virus-specific information provided below.

Vvf.pif was infected with the malicious virus W32.Klez.H@mm and has been deleted because the file cannot be cleaned.<<<

Ah, my old life staring back at me. I used to be the one to cap the viruses.

Anyway, everyone should be sure to purchase anti-virus software and make sure that it is updated (company websites should have the update files). There is a free dos scanner avaiable from ftp.f-prot.com/pub/dos it is called fp-3xxx.zip (where xxx is the current version number) updates are avaible at ftp.f-prot.com/pub (text instructions in the zip file should tell you what to do to obtain updates.) Of course you will need winzip or pkunzip to de-compress the files.

Links to 3 anti-virus vendors are below:
    http://www.f-secure.com/virus-info/

http://vil.nai.com/vil/default.asp

http://www.norton.com/avcenter/

Happy hunting.
    Why do I *always* have to be the calm one?
    Note to self: first spell check then post.

Thread Information