Default City considers fire-rescue fee for residents

Dec 20, 2002

Fire Rescue Fee Being Considered

LAKE WALES, FL - The city will consider the possibility of a "fire rescue assessment" that would be levied against all property owners to help buy equipment for the Lake Wales Fire Department.

City Manager Tony Otte said it is far too early to discuss the amount of any such fee, if one is eventually approved. If a fee were approved, Otte said, it could be offset by a reduction in the property tax rate.

The fee would apply to all residents, including those who now pay no taxes because of homes that are valued less than the $25,000 homestead exemption. With a fire rescue fee, Otte said, "those residents would pay a fair share."

Fire Chief Tom Tucker said the city must find some source of revenue to pay for fire equipment. The oldest of the city's four pumper trucks was bought in 1976; the newest in 1995.

This year, the city set aside $28,000 toward the purchase of a new truck, but they cost $350,000 to $400,000.

"At that rate, we'll never get a truck," Tucker said.
    Last edited by Firebug030; 12-22-2002 at 10:41 AM.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Where does the money go?....

4 engines - Must be a small department - City Manager - Must be an incorporated municipality - I'd like to know more about this department. Is it a fully paid dept.? I have a gut feeling that it is. I could go on and on, but for no purpose. I simply don't think that there is a money problem, rather, a management problem... Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information