Angry 33 Roles the Tower

As some of you seen the busiest Volunteer Fire Department lost a valuable piece of apparatus today. God bless the brothers and a speedy recovery. Kentland will have no problem getting back on there feet. Good luck 33
    Last edited by TruckieTrash; 12-23-2002 at 10:31 PM.

From what I gathered from Kentland's website: www.kentland33.com All of the crew seems to be doing well. All are back on duty with the exception of the engineer who has a shoulder injury. Get well soon.
    Mike

Forum Member

Glad there all ok. Looks it was a narrow miss with that pole. That is a hell of a skid mark in the road. I am wondering if they were trying to go straight and someone cut them off forcing them to cut the wheel and slide/roll. Either that or someone was perhaps going a touch too fast to make the turn.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Info from the Scene....

I waited a bit to post this, to see where this thread was going. I don't do witch hunts. That said, I was responding to the same box, a reported explosion in a townhouse about 3 or 4 blocks North of the accident scene. As I arrived at the townhouse fire, the tower reported that they were involved in an accident. The Deputy Chief of the first due company had arrived just before me, and told me to go to the tower's location, to see what help they would need. I did so, and located an officer from Kentland who assured me that there were no serious injuries. The Ambulance from the Arundel VFD (A779) was responding to the explosion, and hearing the Tower's call went to them instead and had another ambulance cover the first call. A779's EMTs checked out the Tower crew. PGFD senior management started arriving quickly and I returned to the townhouse call. That incident was possibly caused by an individual "cooking" drugs on the kitchen stove! He was injured slightly, treated O/S and taken into police custody. The building had significant damage.There may be more info at www.bowievfd.org The Bowie VFD is first due there. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

If fat people can sue McDonald's because they got fat, then Kentland can make millions off this druged up doofus.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

That sounds like a good idea to go after them, but how much money do you think someone like that has?

MembersZone Subscriber

Sure, let's go after someone being stupid and who caused the fire. But what about the driver of the tower. Was he driving with due regard? Would he and his crew have arrived safely if he was driving just a tad slower? Why don't you explore that before talking about going after some moron.
    When Life Is On The Line. We Are Never Off Duty.

Forum Member

No doubt; I think they may have been going a little too fast for the turn. In the photo I saw, you could plainly see the skid marks from the right rear tires on the pavement.

The fire service is a bunch of hippocrats half the time. If something like this accident doesn't happen, we're almost glad, no I take that back, some of us are in fact very glad that someone screwed up, illegal or otherwise, and now we get drive our bigs toys lights and siren and wrestle with the "red devil" and on and on.
    But then if something happens to us in the process, oh how things change, now we want someone to blame, someone to pay, now we're concerned about prevention and if someone didn't do x or y we never would have rolled - give me a break, if this accident didn't happen and was on the front page of Firehouse.com, half of us would be reading in envy about Kentland's "big one."
    If you're sitting around waiting and hoping for the big one and then the s*&% hits the fan, don't go looking for someone to blame - you asked for it, you know the risks, you got it - and if you don't like that game - get a desk job, becuase all the lawsuits, criminal charges, etc. will not bring back anyone from a serious injury or death.

MembersZone Subscriber

Red face tower 33

Hey they were going to a FIRE, not a afa (automatic fire alarm). As they say _______ happens. At least nobody was hurt bad, Anybody who says they don't go all out to get to a fire is a liar.

Be safe brothers and Kentland keep your head up!!!!!!

Permanently Removed

Default Keeping it short...

It is always easy to look at a picture like this
    and "Monday morning quarterback." But the thing
    to remember is unless you were there, its difficult
    to know really what happened.

The most common factor in fire service code 3 driving
    is "siren-cide" or tunnel vision. We (you and ME) must
    remember to-

1. Keep the big picture, no tunnel vision. A highway
    patrol officer gave me the best advise when driving
    code 3-"Keep your chin up." This is help you foresee
    down the road.

2. (and last) From looking at the picture and the
    already mentioned skid marks, please simply remember
    not to "drive faster than conditions permit". Hard not
    to do when the pulse it up, working radio traffic and
    the siren going.

Thats all, glad everyone was ok...
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 12-28-2002 at 02:25 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Truck733
    The fire service is a bunch of hippocrats half the time. If something like this accident doesn't happen, we're almost glad, no I take that back, some of us are in fact very glad that someone screwed up, illegal or otherwise, and now we get drive our bigs toys lights and siren and wrestle with the "red devil" and on and on.
    But then if something happens to us in the process, oh how things change, now we want someone to blame, someone to pay, now we're concerned about prevention and if someone didn't do x or y we never would have rolled - give me a break, if this accident didn't happen and was on the front page of Firehouse.com, half of us would be reading in envy about Kentland's "big one."
    If you're sitting around waiting and hoping for the big one and then the s*&% hits the fan, don't go looking for someone to blame - you asked for it, you know the risks, you got it - and if you don't like that game - get a desk job, becuase all the lawsuits, criminal charges, etc. will not bring back anyone from a serious injury or death.
    Truck 733, I am unable to determine the extent and length of your fire service experience, but you are way, way way out of line.

Not every fire fighter sits around hoping for "the big one". Many, many fire service professionals have devoted their professional lives to preventing fires and injuries. True, many fire fighters have also devoted their professional lives to helping others become better fire fighters. It is a sad fact, in the US today, that there are going to be fires...bad fires. People are going to die. Property is going to get damaged. When those fires happen, fire fighters are expected to go to the scene and put the fire out as safely and efficiently as possible.

Fire fighters do this job without regard to who started the fire or how. When the fire is out, the investigation will reveal those details.

That said, the only way for the fire fighters to get to the fire is to bring all of our stuff on big, heavy trucks. These trucks are equipped with audible and visual warning devices to let the public know we are coming and to ask them to yield the right of way, as is required by law. The judicious use of these warning devices saves lives and time.

Do fire fighters occassionally drive too fast? Of course. I wasn't in Kentland, and I assume neither were you. You don't know what happened and neither do I. But you jump to the conclusion that somehow, the fire fighters in Kentland deserved this. (NOTE: You CANNOT conduct an accident investigation by looking at two pictures, with no measurements or details as to what type of skid marks they are. So don't even try).

However, Truck733, you are dead, solid wrong when it comes to your disrespectful comments about blame. Not one emergency responder asks to go out and get hurt or killed. We have plenty of fires caused by purely accidental means, that when fires are caused either intentionally or through illegal acts, someone must be held accountable. It won't bring anyone or anything back, but punishment and accountability are important.

you asked for it, you know the risks, you got it

Who the heck do you think you are implying that the emergency responders somehow deserve what they get? Does a police officer who gets shot deserve it because he pulled over a speeding car? Did the 343 FDNY members deserve it because they went into those towers? Did the six in Worcester deserve it because they went into the warehouse looking for reported missing people? The answer is NO. They didn't deserve it and the fire fighters in Kentland didn't deserve it.

You can start apologizing now, because dude, you offended alot of people.
    Last edited by GeorgeWendtCFI; 12-28-2002 at 04:02 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I got ****ed off when I read that and George just read my mind.

If you don't know the details or were not involved, keep your _____ mouth shut!!

George, thanks for explaining it in a more gentle way than I would have. Things like this happen, no matter what the cause, that make the fire service as a whole look bad. Now if only we can look at mistakes made in this case, as well as all the rest, correct them and apply them in the future.

MembersZone Subscriber

I guess I should clarify.........

The comments that Truck733 made were out of line, not what you said drkblram.

Sorry for the confusion.

MembersZone Subscriber

we can speculate all we want, but
    we wont know anything for sure until
    a report comes out, the important thing
    is that none of the brothers where seriously
    hurt, and the tower didnt look that badly damaged
    in the pictures.

Forum Member

Every picture tells a story...not necessarilly the correct one!

What is a "hippocrat"...a desk jockey at the National Zoo?

Truck 733...you are wrong, wrong, wrong!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Truck733, you have some nerve to imply that the Kentland Brothers deserve this! With attitude like that, you have no business here.

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Truck 733 where are you from?

Ever been to ride with kentland? I have and they definately have their stuff together. They are a great bunch of guys who treat visitors with the respect of the brotherhood.

Hope your not a member of my department, cause weve got some attitude adjustment coming.

Just remember 33 is one of the last strong Volunteer fire departments in Prince George's County, a county that 30years ago firemen from across the country looked up to and learned from.

You can't respond to 7,100 fire incidents a year and not expect something to jump up a bight you every now and then.

I'll add my good wishes to the brothers in Kentland. I'll bet you their next tower will be better than the last one.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Got That Right.....

Thanks, ChiefK... Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Post As of 1-6-2003

Taken directly from 33's website:

"Just so the rumors can be stopped that are all over the Internet we are declaring that this accident was completely driver error and there were no other contributing factors. Both the driver and the officer have been suspended from operations and the driver has been suspended indefinitely from driving any apparatus or other vehicles."

www.kentland33.com
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Tower 33

Capt Gonzo
    Thanks for the spell check on Hippocrat,also in the title does a "tower role" or does it roll.
    Be Safe
    "Reds"

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Talk about bad luck

They also have posted on their site that one of their engines was struck by a PGPD car the other night.

KVFD, hope your luck gets better soon Brothers!
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Thread Information