Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Lightbulb Grant Writing Training

The emergency services of Pennsylvania will have a unique opportunity to get one up on the rest of the country when Rodney Slaughter brings his nationally known "Secrets of Grants Success" to the Montgomery
    County Fire Academy March 7-9, 2003.

I attended Rodney's class in 1998 and since then have received grants equalling a 320,000% return on the cost of the class, including both 2001 & 2002 FEMA programs. I intend to be there in March to see what else I can learn.

I think it would be great if next year Pennsylvania grabs the lion's share of the grants and leaves the rest of the country scratching their heads wondering what we know that they don't.

For more information on the class including on line registration go to Rodney's web site www.dragonflynet.com

Hope to see you in March.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Forum Member

Default Re: Grant Writing Training

Originally posted by dragonfyre

I attended Rodney's class in 1998 and since then have received grants equalling a 320,000% return on the cost of the class, including both 2001 & 2002 FEMA programs.
    How many grants did you get before taking the class? If we did do this, we would have to use that money wisely. If we were to get a large amount, we can't screw up. We have to use it to take the fire service in this state as high as we can take it. We would have to prove that we deserved the money.
    Any statements I have made are my statements, and my statements alone.

Before the class we honestly didn't know what opportunities existed. We did tap a local charitable trust for $15,000 for our aerialscope purchase but didn't really go after a lot of grants.

One of the things you will learn in the class is how to look for and go after grant opportunity.

As far as proving you "deserve" the money, a good grant writer shows the "need" for the funds over the attitude that we "deserve" your support. There is a really good article in the December issue of Fire Engineering from a member of the FEMA Peer Revue Committee. He really goes over what they were looking for and why they threw out applications.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified

Forum Member

I wasn't saying show that you deserve it while submitting the application, but make sure that a good use is made of it. If they give you money, and you blow it away, I am sure that that will reflect deeply on your reputation, and hurt your chances of getting money again.
    Any statements I have made are my statements, and my statements alone.

I don't think you're grasping the concept of a grant. It's not a charitable contribution that you can "blow".

A grant is written for a specific need and purchase. When you are given the grant money you must show the purchase for that equipment during the close-out phase. Usually that's within a specified time period. FEMA is a year. The close out is required for all grants whether it is FEMA, state or a local Trust.

If you don't spend the money for what the grant was written for you will be responsible to return the money.
    Steve Dragon

Thread Information