Thread: College?

Default College?

Looking at Firefighting, and the requirements for my city are 18 and a High School Diploma. I don't know if I want to go to college if I don't have to before I start a carreer, but I probably will...if I do go to college, are there any courses that could relate to firefighting? Also, does anyone know if you can get EMT training in colleges for credit?

MembersZone Subscriber

There are about 300 colleges and universities that offer college credit for emt classes.

Some areas (southern California, Florida, Texas) have a close relation with local community colleges and pre-employment preparation.

There are a couple of hundred colleges that offer a two year fire science degree.

Thank you much.

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't know where you live but the school I am going to in Michigan has a 2 or 4 year degree in Fire Science and also has an associates degre in Paramedic Technology. It's a great school and has MANY accrediations. It's lake Superior State University.
    The hardest thing to learn in life is which bridge to cross and which to burn...

I am currently enrolled in the four year year Fire Sciences degree. I am set to graduate this may. i have already been accepted to Graduate school for my masters in Fire sciences. there is even a PhD progam for the fire sciences

joe
    Garrison

Thumbs up college

Iam currently enrolled at Blinn junior college in Bryan/College Station, home of Texas A&M. Here they offer a 2 year associates degree in Fire Science and EMT.

i plan on applying to the university of maryland next year..they have a really good fire program there. you have the option to live at a firehouse where you would be a member and run calls and all that good stuff. i think that i will get a lot of experince there which will help me later in life when i go paid.

Keep in mind the needs fire depts have outside of fire fighting. I would highly recommend getting a standard BS with a minor in what you think will be your chosen field.

Thread Information