Default Junior EMT's such a thing?

I am going for my EMT-B trainging in January. Since I am under 18, will I be considered a junior EMT or no? I'm not familiar with PA's EMS system. Thanks

Forum Member

Well, another junior at my department got EMT certified, and I don't remember hearing anything about "junior EMT's," but I don't know. Hmm, I'll ask him if he knows anything about that the next time I see him.
    Any statements I have made are my statements, and my statements alone.

Yeah, I don't think there is, but I was just wondering...

Default junior emt.

According to my daughter who is a junior firefighter and wanted to be an emt, You can take and pass your emt course but under state law you can't practice until your 18 or older.

Oh really...I just spoke with my two cousins who are both EMT's,EMT class instructors and preceptors, and they said I can do everything an 18-year old EMT can do, I just have to be with two other EMT's.

Forum Member

What sense would it make to be able to be an EMT, but not be able to practice. If you are not aloud to use the training, why have it?

Forum Member

The ambulance in town before they went under (built a $1,000,000 building) they use to have a EMS explorer post run thru the Boy Scouts. If you check the State Ems laws and child labor laws (not too up on them my self) you will find the answer. The place where I work Paid on call fire they have a few 17 year olds running ems they can not tech a call by themselves. The are running calls and doing the stuff as soon as they are 18 they then will be signed off to sun solo. I still think that you have to be 21 to drive the rig.

§ 48.3. Minor volunteer fire company, volunteer ambulance corps, volunteer rescue squads and volunteer forest fire crew member activities.
    (a) Minors who are members of a volunteer fire company and volunteer forest fire crew may participate in training and fire-fighting activities as follows:

Drivers of trucks, ambulances or other official fire vehicles must be eighteen years of age.
    Minors sixteen or seventeen years of age who have successfully completed a course of training equal to the standards for basic fire-fighting established by the Department of Education and the Department of Environmental Resources, may engage in fire-fighting activities provided that such minors are under the direct supervision and control of the fire chief, an experienced line officer or a designated forest fire warden.
    No person under eighteen years of age shall be permitted to (i) operate an aerial ladder, aerial platform or hydraulic jack, (ii) use rubber electrical gloves, insulated wire gloves, insulated wire cutters, life nets or acetylene cutting units, (iii) operate the pumps of any fire vehicle while at the scene of a fire, or (iv) enter a burning structure.

(b) The activities of minors under sixteen years of age shall be limited to:

Training.
    First aid.
    Clean-up service at the scene of a fire, outside the structure, after the fire has been declared by the fire official in charge to be under control.
    Coffee wagon and food service.

(c) In no case, however, shall minors under sixteen years of age be permitted to:

Operate high pressure hose lines, except during training activities;
    Ascend ladders, except during training activities; or
    Enter a burning structure.

(d) All other activities by minors who are members of a volunteer fire company or a volunteer forest fire crewman shall be permissible unless specifically prohibited by this act.

(e) No rule or regulation of any State agency concerning minor volunteer firemen shall be adopted or promulgated except by amendment to this act.

(f) All other existing provisions of this act and the regulations promulgated thereunder affecting the employment of minors shall be applicable in all cases, including the requirements for employment certificates and the limitations on hours of employment: Provided, That a minor sixteen or seventeen years of age who is a member of a volunteer fire company who answers a fire call while lawfully employed and continues in such service until excused by the one acting as chief of that fire companys shall not be considered in violation of this act for any part of the period so occupied: And further provided, That a minor who is fourteen or fifteen years of age, who is a member of a volunteer fire company and who performs the training or fire-fighting activities permitted for such minor under the provisions of this act between the hours of seven oĠclock in the evening and ten oĠclock in the evening before a day of school with written parental consent shall not be considered in violation of this act.

(g) Any minor who is a member of a volunteer ambulance corps or rescue squad may participate in training and any other activity as provided by regulations adopted by the Department of Labor and Industry but in any case, drivers of all ambulances or other official ambulance corps or rescue squad vehicles must be eighteen years of age.
    Last edited by choad33; 01-05-2003 at 09:52 AM.

Forum Member

Forum Member

Wow, a lot of that is word for word in my department's SOG's for Junior Firefighters.

Default junior emts

i was 16 when i took my emt. you are allowed to act as an emt when under the supervision of a senior emt (over 18) or when you come accross a scene and are the only trained personell prestent. That was in 98 when i completed the course. I do not believe there is such a thing as jr emt-b's.

Thread Information