Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question Living Quarters Supplies

What sort of station supplies does your department provide?

My department recently had our living quarters remodeled and we're looking to replace just about everything that was in the old quarters. This includes pots & pans, the television and everything in between. Of course, there are some differing opinions as to what the department should buy and what the firefighters should buy. How does it work where you are?

Forum Member

Default Supplies

My department purchases and maintains everything that is not consumable-linen, cookware, appliances, etc. I do purchase and maintain some of these items on my own, however, such as bed sheets (we use a laundry service that starches ours so bad it's like sleeping on a 2x4).

This accounts for only the basic needs items, however. Things that are more luxury items aren't included. For instance, the union recently purchased a DVD player for everyone's use.

MembersZone Subscriber Engine5FF's Avatar

We had to buy all the lounge furniture, cooking utensils and TV/VCR etc. The city bought the beds (from the jail). The kitchen apliances are about 50/50 us and them.
    "What makes a person run into a building others are running out of?...Character."- Dennis Smith

www.elmirafire.org

Default Re: Living Quarters Supplies

Originally posted by cozmosis
    What sort of station supplies does your department provide?

My department recently had our living quarters remodeled and we're looking to replace just about everything that was in the old quarters. This includes pots & pans, the television and everything in between. Of course, there are some differing opinions as to what the department should buy and what the firefighters should buy. How does it work where you are?
    The City of New York gives us a garage for the rigs. The men take care of everything else.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

MembersZone Subscriber F52Westside's Avatar

My department provides the linens, pots and pans, furniture, and TV/VCR. Some of the guys have picked up some speciality items like crock pot, vege. steamer and other little stuff like that.
    Stay Safe & Bring 'em Home!
    Eddie C.
    I.A.F.F. Local 3008

"Doin' it for lives n' property"

** "The comments made here are this person's views and not that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

MembersZone Subscriber

Believe it or not....Here in PG County Maryland, we provide whatever is needed for our career staff. Two of them are assigned here for 24 hours. They are provided with a full kitchen, TV/VCR/DVD, workout equipment and nice Bunks and Linens if they need them. With all the hostility, we still realize that they deserve to be treated as good as any of us.

The job supplies us with furniture, appliances and cooking utensils the union supplies the rest (TV ,radio, pool tables etc) And each shifts mess purchases the food of course

Forum Member

OUR DEPT SUPPLIES MOST EVERYTHING, POTS,PANS,BEDS,LIENS,AND EVERYTHING ELSE. EACH STATION HAS A SODA MACHINE THAT THE STATION OWNS AND ANY MONEY THAT IS EXTRA IS FOR THAT STATION. HQ ALSO HAS A CANDY MACHINE THAT OPERATES THE SAME WAY. WE BOUGHT A NEW SURROUND SOUND SYSTEM WITH THE POP FUND MONEY. BUT WHAT EVER IS BOUGHT FOR HQ WITH THE POP FUND HAS TO BE VOTED ON BY ALL THREE SHIFTS.

We use the money from the pop machines for our sick members benfits fund, we buy things like wheelchairs, wheelchair ramps or paying medical expenses for those things or family members that aren't covered by our health insurance.

Our department buys all cooking equipment, beds, sheets, pillows, blankets, all furniture, cleaning supplies, towels, and toliet paper. Change from drink/snack machines is used for paying all stations cable bills and newspapers. Also t.v. and v.c.r. is supplied as well. The only thing we have to furnish is our food and good, soft toilet paper if you don't feel like using that "John Wayne" paper. You know how that goes. :-)

MembersZone Subscriber
    No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

My dept. provides us with the building and basic utilities such as fixtures, bunks, and cleaning supplies. The rest such as pots, pans, couches, TVs (we got a 60") VCR, and DVD players are supplied by the members. nce a year we all chip in $40 a piece to facilitate a big purchase. We are lucky we have a station.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

The City provides the basics....furniture, kitchen items,cleaning supplies, paper products etc. Over the years, we either have an assessment to buy big ticket items or we purchase it out of the "coke fund". A lot of times, for example, when a jake buys a new tv/stereo, pots/pans etc. for their home, the old ones get brought to the Station for use in the weight room, bunk rooms, etc.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

We have a house tax in our firehouse. Every pay period we buck up $20 (every two weeks). This pays for TV, radios, pots and pans, condiments for cooking. It also pays for a "BOYS NIGHT OUT" once a year.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40