Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: rehab questions

Default rehab questions

Hi Mrs. Theo454 here.

Our auxiliary is wanting to start a rehab group to run coffee, food, etc. to the guys. However, none of us are sure how to go about it, what would be the best way to set up something like this and what would be good things to have on hand to take to fires?

Thanks

Lora
    Theo B
    MFP 454
    '70 Fasty
    '74 & '77 Wagoneers

I hope this is not to late I just recently Singed on to this web site. First my experiance in the Fire Dept. Auxiliary is 3 years. I started one Auxiliary, then we moved and now I am in our local Fire Dept. in Cahokia, IL ( Very small town ) anyway. we have what we call a water Brigade.we take water to our fire fighters to all major calls they will be on for at least an hour. we do not go on 10-50's ( car accidents)The first thing you need are several water coolers that will keep liquids hot or cold. Ice Water is a major need for the firemen winter or summer. coffee is good and this like gatorade. they get very dehydrated in th fires. for lite snacks cookies and crackers are great. we have even taken chips. Do Not take any foods that will sit heavy or orange juice. Unless requested by a fireman. They could slow down the men. When you start your Water brigade only choose a few people to go serve, to many people can get inthe way. do not go unless you have you safety officers and cheifs permision some dept. do not like extra people on scene, they are responsible if somthing happens. My members and I have had to grab an run for saftey alone with fireman. and be sure you know and prepare your self for seeing the worst. I have been on scenes with fatalitys and when my Husband a fire fighter was injured it is not easy. ANd Always stay calm, no matter what, and you need to discuss the media and how to handle them on scene we do not discuss anything with them that is totally up to commander on scene.
    Hope this was helpful
    Heather
    Cahokia Volunteer Fire Dept. Ladies Aux.

Forum Member

Question Hello

Hello there, I was wondering if there were any groups out there that provide rehab at emergency scenes, more then coffee and donuts (which arnt good for firefighters anyways)more along the medical aspect of things. such as rehab secotors and evaluation tents. etc..

Thanks DRing911

Rehab Five

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Rehab

Looked at your website and found it interesting. As far as I know, here in the Washington DC Metro area, your type of group does not exist. What we have in our department is several ladies auxillary's that provide canteen units (fluids, food, etc) while, as part of the ICS, we tend to set up rehad sectors depending upon what is going on.
    Bill Delaney

Program Manager - Community Safety Education

Montgomery County Fire & Rescue

101 Monroe St., 12th Floor

Rockville, MD 20850

(O) 240.777.2448

(P) 301.629.2306

(C) 301.648.1262

http://www.mcfrs.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Default fire rehab

I can give you a few examples of some things that may work for you and are easy and quick. Large jugs of ice tea, water, and gator aide
    to eat good ideas would be to have what goes with the season,if its freezing outside and say they are working non stop out in the ice and snow like my husband was not to long ago on the interstate 80 accedent here in pa then what he said they needed was something warm to help keep them from frezing. hot chocolate,chili,grilled cheeze sandwiches, sloppy joes, hot dogs and now if its summer and warm out and say they are working a major alarm structure fire and are very hot then they will need quick protien cool food like granola bars,balogny sandwiches,gatoraide,ham and cheese,power bars. I hope this helps some with your wanting to help out but maybe if you just ask the crews of the station for their input then your going to find you can help make your fire company alot better then not communicating with them at all. Just go to a monthly meeting and ask to send a sheet around while meeting is going on and have each person write down something they would like to have at rehab say on a structure fire /or a vehicle pile up. let me know how things go!!!

Forum Member

Default Rehab

I am a member of the Metropolitan Emergency Support Services, commonly referred to as MESS. We are located in Northern IL and are dispatched thru the MABAS system. We go on all kinds of calls.

What we supply is always water, coffee, gatorade. We also have a good supply of snacks = power bars, cookies, candy bars, chips. We have 5 canteen trucks and all are kitchens on wheels. We can make meals, and very often do. We have made pancakes for breakfast, sloppy joes, hotdogs, itallian beef, just to name a few.

We are all volunteers and all monies are donated. Please visit our website at www.1800getmess.org. We are always looking for volunteers if you live in our area.

Forum Member

Water
    Fans
    Water
    High Carb Snacks
    Water
    Coffee (winter)
    EMS Diagnostic Equipment (if certified) i.e. BP cuff, Scope, Penlight, etc.
    Seating
    Water

MembersZone Subscriber

We had a grain bin fire a couple years ago (12hr project). Wife of the farmer manages the DQ in a city about 1/2hr away. Endless Double cheeseburgers w/fries and assorted shakes/malts. Now thats rehab.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default rehab Book

IFSTA has a book called Emergency Incindent Rehabilitation by Brady. 2nd edition is now out. Here is the link.

http://www.ifsta.org/html/catalog/36...154354882.4978

MembersZone Subscriber

NFPA 1584: Recommended Practice on the Rehabilitation of Members Operating at Incident Scene Operations and Training Exercises

Above is the NFPA standard for rehab.

MembersZone Subscriber FireSupport1's Avatar

Default Re: Fire Scene Rehab Services

My group provides a rehab service to our local fire departments, at no cost to them, as a way of supporting them and giving back to our communities. We ALWAYS provide fresh bottled water and GatorAid drinks, on ice, regardless of the time of year, as that type of hydration has been shown to be of the utmost benefit. We also provide any logistical support that the departments may request, such as picking up large orders of food and bringing it to the scene for a feeding operation, assisting with first aid needs, etc.

We are a small volunteer group, currently at about 10 members, located in Northern California. All of our members have previous training and/or experience in providing disaster services. All costs for supplies and equipment are borne by the membership. Our vehicles are visibly marked with our group logo, and are also equipped with high-power two-way radios and appropriate warning lights. As suggested in one of the other posts, we, too, usually only send one or two members at a time, on any incident response. We simply set-up our marked vehicles at the scene, and let the Incident Commander know of our presence; when they're ready, they let the firefighters know that we are there for them. We have yet to find a department that didn't greatly appreciate our support services, whenever we show up...

Please visit our website at http://www.eastbayfiresupport.com for more information. Thanks!

XNA1590
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

When I lived in upstate NY the dept. I was on had a Ladies auxiliary and any time we got toned to a fire they would start a phone chain and all meet at the station. We were kinda lucky one of the ladies owned the local general store and would open up for them but mainly they supplied coffee,hot tea, hot chocolate and in the summer they brought out cold water and easy snacks(our hands are always dirty at any scene). Generaly a place to sit was always right there the tail board of any appuratus works great. Hope this helps

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Rehab

The dept. i'm on provides rehab services. We have an enclosed trailer that responds to all structure fires and major incidents. We have two shelters one for inclement weather to store gear under while the firefighters enter the other for rehab. In the canopies, the firefighter will remove coats and sit and relax for at least 10 minutes. When the firefighter enters the time is logged, an emt or some of our firefighters wives are nurses will take the blood pressure, pulse, and pulse oximinter readings. The firefighter will then be given water or a sports drink and a power bar. After 10 minutes if the blood pressure and pulse comes down to normal levels, they are free to go. If not, it's another 10 minutes. We also previde a misting fan for summer and propane heat for winter. We have been providing this service to our own firefighters for the last four years. In the last two years, we have been pushing mutual aid depts. to call and use the rehab. We provide this service at no cost to our mutual aid depts. I hope this helps. We are currently looking to buy a larger trailer and to incorporate a portable toilet into it.

MembersZone Subscriber Halligan84's Avatar

Check these guys out http://www.deerparkfire.com/ they do an excellent job in our area.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Rehab

Most of the links posted look to me like they are no more than food stands. What about the medical end in the rehab process. It was my understanding the heart attack rate among firefighters is what triggered the rehab concept. I feel that the firefighters should be monitored for heat exhaustion or over exercision. We have sent firefighters to the hospital for this, even in the winter months.

Thumbs up Being taken care of.

Quote Originally Posted by HEYVERN View Post
    Most of the links posted look to me like they are no more than food stands. What about the medical end in the rehab process. It was my understanding the heart attack rate among firefighters is what triggered the rehab concept. I feel that the firefighters should be monitored for heat exhaustion or over exercision. We have sent firefighters to the hospital for this, even in the winter months.
    In regards to what you said, my husband is a Firefighter/Medic and every major call he gets through his Fire Dept, EMS is there on scene with them to provide the "medical" side of the rehab. That's why you're seeing most of the Ladies Auxiliary Rehabs with food and drinks.

Thread Information