Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question Getting hired somewhere in florida

I am currently a firefighter/EMT in the Capital City of Missouri and my wife and I would love to move to a city anywhere in floida that has a average size fire department that is hiring. I am currently IFSAC certified FF I and II and a haz-mat tech. The challenge review board to become certified in florida has become a long and tedious task. Are there any ways around this course of action? Can anyone recommend a fire department that is going to hire soon that does not require the certification? I would love and appreciate any pointers or leads to a great job in florida.

I know exactly what you're going through. I have not found any department in Florida that is hiring that will take you without the certification. It sounds like you already know what the reqs are.
    The only way "around it" is if you're a medic, you may find a dept. to hire you and then put you through the academy.
    It looks like I'll be relocating there and put myself through Medic school and hope that I can find a dept to put me through the academy. I'm certified FFI/II in my state but it doesn't mean jack to them if you don't have the hours. 360 I think.

Good luck

MembersZone Subscriber

Good Luck..

When I was in Fire School, There was a person who was a Firefighter in Virginia for several years and has to go back to Fire School.

There are a few Dept's in South Florida who hire non certified applicants however for example Miami-Dade who uses a Lottery system for applicants take in aprox 30,000 applications for 40-50 spots. Being a Medic in SO FLA is the only way to go...

Good Luck

Thread Information