Forum Member

Question Requesting funds

When requesting funds do you have to request 90% or can you request the full amount and come up with your 10% on another piece of equipment?

Huck

Forum Member

Have you been approved for a grant?

If you have then you know that FEMA will only fund 90% of your grant application. If you have then you also have to prove to FEMA that you have your 10% ready to pay for your share. Last year many companies were turned down after they were initially approved as they didn't have the 10% at hand when they were asked. You can't tell them that you'll have it after a chicken bar-b-que or two.

Also your application has to be for certain equipment. You can't change things afterwards. You have to buy what you asked for and prove it when you close out the paperwork.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Forum Member

The money available for request from FEMA will only be 90% of the total grant package. So if your total grant package amounted to $100,000.00 - you would only be able to request $90,000.00 to be transferred into your bank account. It is up to you to cover the other 10%.

Also, you don't have to request it all at once, unless you are planning to spend it all at the same time. FEMA says you have 30 calendar days to get it out of your bank account once you get it.

Our requests have been accepted and transferred to our account within about a week. Since the efficiency of FEMA caught us by surprise with our first request for a funds transfer, we haven't requested any money until the equipment is delivered, inspected and accepted. Then, according to our Purchase Orders, which the vendors accepted, we have 45 days to pay the invoice.

Congratulations on your grant, and let's get ready for the next one !!
    Grant me the strength to change things I can, accept what I can't, and to know the difference.

Forum Member

Default Misunderstood

I must have worded my question wrong. When you request funds it asks how much federal share you are requesting. I wanted to know if we were buying a $10,000 piece of equipment but our grant was for $60,000 if we could only request $9,000 or $10,000. By the way we won't be having any barbeques to raise the 10% but I have heard of a department close to us that has recievied the grant and is now doing fund raising to get the 10%

Huck

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm amazed by their speed of processing requests and transfering funds. They must not really be a part of the Federal Government. Requesting only one draw down of funds will help them to maintain their efficiency. I also appreciate the efforts of the peer review committee members.

Thread Information