Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Question FireFighter training...

hello everyone, my name is robert and i will be trying out for my local fire department in a couple of months and was wondering if anyone had any tips.... i go to the gym regularly and am in good shape, but was wondering if anyone could recommend any firefighter specific workouts or tips??

also, as far as the mental aspects go, what i can expect to encounter and what can i do to help myself get ahead of the curve??

any help or opinions are GREATLY appreciated... thanks!

I asked a similar question a while back, and from the sounds of things, strong legs & back seem to be the key ingredients. Squats were recommended. I picked up a copy of "Men's Health" and found a few really good excercises in there. It sounds like I'm going down the same path as you are... have you done any schooling?

Forum Member

Thumbs up

i have just finished my EMT class and am about to go for my state testing to be certified in my state. once i am done with that,i will apply for and try out for the department here. i must have my EMT to even apply for the dept. i have been working out on a regular basis for the past year and am picking it up a notch now that i am getting closer to the time for tryouts..... i have been doing squats and such, but i would like something more specific, know what i mean?? thanks for the reply.

Concentrate on endurance training. Just about any aerobic excercise (running, biking, swimming etc.) will do the trick.

A strong back is essential to prevent injury. Keep in mind, in addition to excercises that focus on the back muscles, strong abs are important to a strong back. Start crunching.0
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

Yes... I've heard people say that a strong stomach is essential in preventing back injury. There is one excercise that I do... err, I should do a little more, that helps strengthen most of your body in one process. I found out about it in a health magazine a few years ago, so I doubt I could find pictures of it, but it's fairly simple.

Take a dumbell, something you can lift at least 15-times, place it between your feet. Put your left arm behind your lower back, so you can concentrate on your right arm. Squat down and grab the weight, and as you're standing up, continue to raise the weight up over your head... basically in one fluid motion, you want to bring the weight from your feet to over your head as you rise, and then back down (keeping the weight close to your body... not out like a fishin pole). By the time you stand completely up, the weght should reach the top too. By the time you're squatting again, the weight should be at your feet. There was a warning to keep your back straight, and do this excercise carefully. After you do a set with the right arm, switch to the left.

It has worked pretty well for me... but I need to get back in a routine. Hopefully, I explained it well enough. I do a lot of somewhat heavy lifting at work, and doing this excercise has made it easier.

As to mental expectations,

Go to Oklahoma University website, and buy an IFSTA Essentials of Firefighting manual 4th edition..

Then Read it.

Twice.

You will be way ahead of the curve when training starts.

Good luck.
    If you can keep your head about you, while those around you are losing theirs, then you will be a man my son.

Rudyard Kipling.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

thanks for all the tips! i have not been doing as much cardio as i should be because i have been trying to bulk up a little, but i will be concentrating more on that now. i have been doing some ab exercises and am doing back exercises. another question i had was is it better to concentrate on the lower back or upper? i would think lower for lifting things... again, thanks for the tips and MANY more suggestions welcome at any time. thanks again!

Default Here you go...

You can be the strongest, most fit Firefighter
    candidate around. But if you walk into an oral
    board interview (paid or volunteer) and dont
    have some type of game plan together, you might
    not score as hoped.

Here is your chance. Go to www.eatstress.com
    and look at the "101 Inside Secrets to getting a
    badge". The person that runs the website is a
    guest author fir Firehouse magazine.

Find out what to wear, say, not say, opening and
    closing remarks. Get that game plan together!
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 01-07-2003 at 08:14 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber gordoffemt's Avatar

Great advice from the folks who emphasized having the mental game in shape as well as the physical.

My advice, in line with some others...CARDIO, CARDIO, CARDIO!!!

Good Luck!
    Lt. D. Gordon
    Greendale Fire Department
    Greendale, IN

MembersZone Subscriber

You can be the the most in shape person in the world but without your wind forget it.
    " Be safe brothers, WE ALL GO HOME"

Forum Member

Thumbs up

again, thanks for all the replies. i will definitly concentrate more on cardio. i am getting ready for the mental part also, but that will be a bit farther down the line. i am still working on passing my state test for my emt license

i appreciate it, and more suggestions are certainly welcome.

Default physical ability test training

I will also be taking my physical ability test soon. cardio is definitely the way to go. as far as the fire fighting specific parts of the test like dragging a hose or carrying a saw up the stairs, i have been told that a good way to practice is to take a bookbag and fill it with sand or other weight. then go find a hill and run up and down it. i think this is a good way to prepare becuase running up stairs is a lot different then just doing squats or jogging, and may help to prepare you for these unusual physical tasks.

Try this link http://www.cityofmesa.org/appl/firecpat/cpat_prep.asp

It has a downloadable CPAT guide.

The Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) Preparation Guide provides both general and specific physical training information. Topics include flexibility exercises, general principles of exercise, sample aerobic workouts, a list of strength training exercises, sample training logs, and a list of task specific exercises. This guide is a valuable test preparation tool.
    Good luck on the test to one and all
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Forum Member

Smile

N2DFire: thank you so much for that link! it was EXACTLY what i have been looking for.... again, thank you all for all the information

MembersZone Subscriber Halligan84's Avatar

http://www.firefightersworkout.com/

Excellent physical training information

http://www.strengthcats.com

Great information on the importance of strength training for firefighters. Also the results of some studies that give you an idea where you rank against the best firefighter candidates.

Forum Member

Everyone seems to agree on running. My question is how much and how fast. I run a couple of miles a day already, but I am worried that when the academy starts I am going to be at the back of the pack! Right now I run two miles in about 15-16 minutes. Obviously faster is always better, but is this enough or should I push a little harder?

Forum Member

Wink

from what i have gathered it seems that circuit training will get me the best results for what i will need... i don't have the specifics but something along the lines of these workouts, ten reps with a moderate to heavy weight (but that you can handle) with a 30 second rest in between:

leg press
    standing military press
    bench press
    lat pulldowns
    etc.....

i will put up the full list up when i get a chance but it gives you an idea of what i mean.

and for shznyt, i would look at http://www.cityofmesa.org/appl/firecpat/cpat_prep.asp which i got from N2Dfire, and it has helped me alot... it gives a list of running options and how much you should be running. i think by the time you are done it is about three miles a day that you should be doing. good luck and thanks again for everyones help

Forum Member

Yeah the link was helpful. So I guess my question is just how fast? 3 miles in 30 minutes is wholly different than 3 in 20

Forum Member

Cool

i would say as quick as you can... but comfortably.... they just say you should be able to do it with enough cardio power that you can still talk for all three miles....

but i would say, the quickest you could do it in my opinion....

good luck.

Thank you for all of the links... they've been helpful to me as well.

While on the subject of cardio, I have a question. I'll be the first to admit, I've not been much of a runner, and with it being winter... I'm looking for excercises I can do inside my home that will help with endurance/cardiovascular training? Thanks again for everything!

Thread Information