District Chief

Post Milton Fla--Fire Destroys Home

PENSACOLA NEWS JOURNAL

PUBLISHED FRIDAY, DECEMBER 27, 2002

Local news briefs

From staff reports

Fire destroys home north of Milton
    A late afternoon fire on Thursday destroyed a house north of Milton.

The state Fire Marshal's Office is investigating the blaze, which brought firefighters from Skyline, Avalon, Milton and Whiting Field to the 6300 block of Mayfair Road, off State Road 89 about 4 p.m.

Skyline firefighters arrived three minutes after they were dispatched to see the house engulfed in flames.

The cause of the fire and the amount of damage not released late Thursday.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

District Chief

Post Fire was caused by faulty electrical wiring

PENSACOLA NEWS JOURNAL

Light fixture to blame in house fire

Blaze was accidental, fire marshal's office decides
    Carmen Paige
    @PensacolaNewsJournal.com

The cause of a fire that left a Milton family homeless has been ruled accidental.

"The fire started in the garage," said David O'Dell, an investigator with the state fire marshal's office. "It was caused by a light fixture. I believe he was using it to keep the dog warm."

Mike Brantley, who lived in the home at 6357 Mayfair Road with his wife, Diane, and their daughter, Sarah, 12, said the home and everything inside were destroyed.

"Nothing in there can be salvaged," he said.

No one was home at the time of the fire, said Brenda Hamilton Stone, Diane Brantley's older sister.

The Skyline Fire Department was on the scene within two minutes of receiving the call, which came in just before 4 p.m., said Michele Diamond, a captain with the department. She said the Avalon, Milton and Whiting Field fire departments also responded.

"The home was well over halfway gone before we got the call," she said. "We left the scene right at 8 p.m."

Mike Brantley said the family has owned the home since August 1995. He is a carpenter with Fisher Cabinets in Pensacola. His wife works at Mitchell Motors in Pensacola. Their daughter is a sixth-grader at King Middle School in Milton.

"My daughter was here until 1:30 p.m.," he said. "She got picked up by a family friend, fortunately."

Stone said their family is thankful to firefighters. She said whenever her younger sister thought about an item that might be in the house, firefighters searched for it.

Stone said the American Red Cross gave the Brantleys a $55 voucher and a bag of basic supplies Thursday night. They are staying with Stone's family in Navarre Beach.

A fund has been set up at the Escambia County Employees Credit Union. Donations can be made at the credit union office, 3696 North L St., Pensacola.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Thread Information