Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new year fires

Forum Member

Default new year fires

how many fires have you guys had so far this year.

we just had our second fire of the new year. first one was a corn crib on fire. wasnt called into county 911 only to the chief took one firefighter and himself and our brush truck. just about needed the rest of the dept.
    second was a brush fire that could have started a wooden structure on fire if the wind was out of the other way. just got home from that one.
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

HNFC FF/President mdoddsjffhnfc's Avatar

We haven't had anything yet this year, nothing. Not even one call so far this year. But with this weather, that will soon change.
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

Temporarily/No Longer Active EoneTiller's Avatar

Angry

NONE!! but its only the 3rd day into the new year so its all good.my fire dept F.A.S.T. team just got dispatched for a working structure fire. it was originally dispatched as an alarm act. and alarm co. called back advising it is working structure.

Forum Member

i know the feeling we havent had much rain or snow for that matter. we have had less than 2 inches of snow all winter.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

Forum Member

is a F.A.S.T. team the same thing as a RIT team?

HNFC FF/President mdoddsjffhnfc's Avatar

Firefighter Assist and Search Team (F.A.S.T) This is what F.A.S.T stands for. Dont know what RIT stands for.
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

Forum Member

i believe that RIT stands for Rapid Intervention Team. please somebody correct me if im wrong.

we havent had any runs yet this year, but this is friday well probably get something tonight. doose anyone ever gets runs on weekends cause we usually neve4r get weekend calls. but on the squad side they have had about 6 runs this year
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

QUOTE]i believe that RIT stands for Rapid Intervention Team. please somebody correct me if im wrong.[/QUOTE]

thats wut ive heard before.correct bout the fast team.we have had 4 calls this year 1 alarm act, 2 mva, and as of a today a structure fire.

we get most of our calls on weekend. seiously if we get a call on sunday we are bound to get total of 3, but mostly we get 4 or 5. weekends make up a large portian of are total calls. its like they come in 3's around here.

Default RIT

Just so you know RIT is Rapid Intervention Team
    Rob
    FireFighter/EMT/VRT
    Engine Co 3
    Westmoreland City

These opinions are mine and mine only nobody eles.

Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

No fires as of yet, but there has been at least 1 alarm activation that I have heard. Usually, during the early morning hours of New Year's Day, we get a worker, be we got lucky this year and didn't have one.
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

4 Runs back to Back

3 Alarm Systems Same place with a 15 min spacing
    1 MVC(Motor Vehicle Crash)
    Rob aka Squinty

The Fighting Seventy-Third

Westville Fire Department
    Gloucester County
    New Jersey

Forum Member

In 2002, we had 414 calls(381 Fire, 33 Fire Police).
    Neighboring departments.
    #1-161(? Fire, ? Fire Police)
    #2-146(? Fire, ? Fire Police)

Department #1 has had at least 3 calls so far.
    Department #2 has had at least 2 calls so far.

My department has had no calls, although the fire police had a traffic control this morning, but that doesn't count because only Fire Police run Fire Police calls.

So, the departments that have about a call every third day have had one a day, and the department that had about a call a day has had absolutely no calls.

On the plus side, our weekly training was held last night(Thurs.), which I attended, which means that I have a 100% participation rating!
    Any statements I have made are my statements, and my statements alone.

Our first call was an EMS to assist the county Medics at 0105 Hours on 1/1/2003. Our 2nd call was for a 2 Vehicle MVA w/no Injuries this morning. Can't wait to see what kind of calls this year will turn up.....
    These opinions are my own, not of my company or my affiliates

2 in, 2 Out, Pass on, Collar up, SHOW TIME!

Originally posted by firefighterox
    is a F.A.S.T. team the same thing as a RIT team?

Yes i beleve they are teh same thing
    When you walk through the fire you will not be burned, the flames will not set you ablaze PRAY FOR THE FALLEN

To All the Jr's Good luk n be safe

The previous comments are myn and have nothing to do with the department I represent
    LMTVFC

Our first call of the year was for a mutual aid fire January 1st, around 12:30 AM. The first arriving engines were challenged by 2 broken hydrants, by the time there was a water supply from a hydrant the house was fully involved. Our truck was sent on the initial assignment, and our engine was special called for water. Since then we had a very close call last Wednesday night, a 2 foot tall fiber optic Christmas tree caught fire, but the homeowner put it out with a bottle of Crystal Rock water, it was a very close call. And on Friday we went mutual aid for a small fire in a laundry room, our truck crew did a quick search and helped vent. This is pretty busy for us, usually we`re all automatic alarms.

We havnt had much. It has been pretty slow. This year we had report of a structure fire, but it turned out to be a tree on fire. We didnt roll anything. The chiefs got there before we even opened our doors.
    Visit us at http://www.randolphfire.org

we have been dead pretty much. a few alarms and ems runs. alot of oh so wonderfull intoxicated people to deal with other than that nothing.
    never forget 343 FDNY
    in memory of 40 ENGINE/35 TRUCK
    normal people spend their life's avoiding intense situations.....a fireman's life is an intence situation.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Guys,
    I am the advisor for my departments Jr's. I have been reading your posts (I read them for ideas for my Jr's). FAST teams and RIT are the same thing. Different department call tehm different names. The important thing is not waht you call them but what they do. You should all learn what they do, how they do it and why we use them. I will tell you real quick alittle about them.
    An RIT or FAST team should be made up of 5-7 veteran FF. The Rit team should be called for as soon as the chief or OIC arrives at a working fire. While the RIT team can be from the same department handling the call, it is a good idea to use a neighboring department(this is as long as their response is going to be in a resonable time). The OIC of the RIT team should upon arrival report to the command post. He should find out where to stage his team, how many teams are working in the building, how long have they been in there, any know hazzards, etc. He also has to establish communication. He must monitor the fire ground radio and should have a seprate frequency dedicated to the RIT team(this is not always possible but it is the perfered way). Now the team basically waits, in case a FF goes down or has trouble of any kind. AT NO TIME may the RIT team be used for any other assignments!!!! Also a FF does not have to be trapped or unconcious for RIT to help, any FF that need assistance getting out should request RIT. As to the training and equipment, well thats pretty advanced stuff .Ask your advisors or a Veteran FF to start with the basics of RIT when you have learned that you can begin to learn about the tricks and training. Before you ever become a member of an RIT or FAST team be sure you have expirence and training. A good RIT team trains at least once a month! If you have any question post them.
    B Holmes

Thread Information