Thread: Chondromalacia

Default Chondromalacia

I also posted this in the health forum, thought this might work too.

Hello, I am a career firefighter who was recently diagnosed with Chondromalacia. I was in the process of trying to lateral to a different department when this all came down. I have looked it up in the NFPA firefighter medical standards and it states that any form of arthritis (evidently Chondromalacia is a form)in the extremities is a catagory b condition, which means depending on the severity of the condition, a person could be found qualified. I have also read that this condition is VERY common in people who run alot and other atheletes. My questions are these......... How many paid firefighters have this.... If you do, did you have it BEFORE you went and took your entry physical.... What have you done to help resolve it.... Anybody have any information of this condition in the fire service....

I would appreciate any responses.

Thank You Very Much,

-Viking1

Forum Member

If I remember my Sports MEdicine from college? It can be treated with ultrasound and anti-inflamatories such as Naprosyn. Like you said it is very common in people who were athletes and just occurs in soempeople naturally. It is the grinding feeling you have under your knee cap, and some people have in their elbows also.

I would say that a trip to an Orthopedic doctor would be a good choice to see whatcan be done to cure your problem.

Good luck
    GOD BLESS THOSE WHO WENT BEFORE US

MembersZone Subscriber

Default I know about this.

Viking:
    Technically, it is not a form of arthritis, but is defined as an "abnormal softening or degeneration of the cartilage of the joints, especially in the knees. If you have it in the knee, it is called chondromalacia patellae. It can be caused from a misalignment of the kneecap. Activities such as climbing, especially going up and down stairs will cause pain. Treatment consists of performing exercises to strengthen the muscles around the knees, avoiding activities that produce pain and taking aspirin.
    I hope that you find this useful.
    Given the choice; I'd rather have chondromalacia than the osteoarthritis that I have.
    Take care.
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Thanks for the replies. I did go to the ortho, and he said this just happens to some. My patella is in perfect alignment, and all my leg muscles are proportional (spelling?). I do however have some noisy knees, which i am finding out that many people do also. I read on the net somewhere that the term Chondromalacia is often used for knee pain, when the diagnostic tools do not show any problems. This seems to be the case for me. Has any one heard of a person being DQ'd from a entry or lateral position becuase of minor joint issues. Also, how many have "noisy knees" I would greatly appreciate feed back on this. I am somewhat worried that some thing could come between me and THE BEST JOB IN THE WORLD.

Forum Member

Viking-
    I have not heard of anyone being disqualified from a position for "noisy Knees" but that does not mean it has not happened. I have been accepted to a bigger city than I work in Academy and they did not check for that in my physical.

Good luck and hopefully it will not keep you from achieving your goal.
    GOD BLESS THOSE WHO WENT BEFORE US

Thumbs up Chondromalacia

Viking1
    I personally have never heard of the term before but, it sounds like something that I have been suffering from for years. I think it all started w/ an old football injury in High School.
    My knees are so loud my wife thought the stairs were making noise when I climb them. You may be smiling but that is not an exageration.
    I had this before I was hired in 1995 and it had no affect on my physical w/ Occupational Health. I am lifting weights and running more than 3.5 miles at a time and feel that the pain and noise have diminished greatly. Go for the lateral. I dont think you need to be too concerned w/ volunteering the info. and later worrying about the condition. Take care of your health and body and you should be okay. I hope this was a little helpful.
    FTM-PTM
    Matt

Thread Information