Default First Responder course.. what to expect

I start my first responder course (community college in northern IL) on January 14th, and I was wondering what to expect? Those of you who have taken this, how beneficial have you found it? Do Fire Departments view this as an important class? I'm very anxious to start learning, and I'd appreciate some of your thoughts. Thanks again!

Any knowledge that contributes to the safety of yourself and others is good knowledge. The First Responder course is an excellent course, even if your FD does not act as a medical responder. Having this knowledge in general is excellent and can save the life of yourself, your family, or strangers you may come upon on the road (accident) or in the mall, shopping center, etc. Being a Community College course it should be accredited and a good course. Don't be afraid to ask questions, every bit of knowledge helps. Remember this class is a foundational class, experience and continuous training courses will build upon it. Just as you don't want to take a basic FF class and then never train or practice again because you are "certified." You should gain a lot from this class and use it to help others and that benefits everyone. Good luck!!

Forum Member

Question

just curious, is your first responder course an EMT class? or is it the step before? if it is the step before i would recommend just applying for the EMT class as it will teach you more and include everything you will get as a first responder.

also, i must agree that maybe it will not make a HUGE difference, but i would think that any kind of training you can do will help you out in the long run. think of it this way, even if your local dept. doesn't require you to be licensed as an EMT, they will still train you on how to be one and you will be one step ahead...

Forum Member

Default Training...

I would have to agree with intraining on this, but then I do not know what the First Responder course consists of where you are. Here the First Responder is only a 40 hour course and is useful, but does not have much information or any depth at all involved in it. However I have talked with others who have said that their First Responder class was some 200 hours, which would make it beneficial. I would "bite the bullet" and go ahead with the EMT class, which is what I am doing, as it will be much better in the long run for you.
    -Kris

The First Responder course I signed up for is a pre-requisite for the EMT-B class... so I have no choice in the matter. Not to mention, the EMT-B class is expensive, so I'm hoping to be on a department by the time I start that class to help with the cost. This class was $200, plus another $90 in books... not the most expensive, but when you're supporting a wife and two kids, and car payments, etc., it's a little tough. It's 3-hours a night, every Tuesday for the next 4-months. Like you guys said though, any training is better than none.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm in agreement with what others have said about taking the EMT course instead of the FR course. But, if you have to have the FR prior to taking the EMT, I guess you're stuck. Does your state have a system in place that allows you to transition into the EMT class after the FR is completed? If not, I would think that there would be a lot of repetition and wasted time in the EMT course.

At any rate, it will be good training and certainly will never work against your career goals. Stick with it and keep going until you get what you want.

Good Luck!
    Lt. D. Gordon
    Greendale Fire Department
    Greendale, IN

Temporarily/No Longer Active

FR is ok if you pay attention and read the books.
    But get your EMT!!!!! FR dont mean much around here dept. now only hirer people with EMT or higher around here. (AS I FOUND OUT TODAY APPLYING!!!!! OH WELL GUESSI GOTTA GET MY EMT )

Like I said, I'm hoping to get on with a department before starting the EMT-B course, but if I'm not, I'm still going to sign up. I'm sure there's financial aid and what-not.

I figure, this will at least get me "seasoned" to what this is all about. I'm under the impression that the majority of the FD's in my area want Firefighter/EMT's. So, the more schooling I get, the better off I'll be in respect to getting the job. I still can't believe the course book and the work-book came out to $90, but oh well...

I have to admit, it feels a little weird going back to school at 26. I've never been much of a book person, more of a hands on type of guy. But in this case, I know that I need the book-smarts before hand.
    Last edited by Ratchet; 01-07-2003 at 08:58 PM.

Forum Member

When you help to save someone's life for the first time with the knowledge you have gained, you will experience a level of satisfaction that is second to none. Use your knowledge with responsibility; accept the fact that you don't know it all. If you find yourself comfortable with what you are doing, then strive to expand your knowledge in the field. Remember: When you answer that call for help, you are EVERYTHING to that person...their past, present, and future relies on you. In other words, you are their life.

The first responder course is through the national registry of emergency medical technitions and is recognised nationally as is EMT-B,I,Paramedic but different states have different standards. For instance in one state an EMT-B can do alot of advanced procedures that are taught and in another their scope of care may only be slightly more than a first responder. I am first responder with 2 EMT modules which in my state is a certification known as an emergency care attendant which in vermont is the minimum certs to be on a EMS squad. I would say that first find a department your interested in and let them know the training you are attending and see what they expect you to have by the time you join. Most allow you to recieve certifications while you are in the probationary period. Ask members of depts how they do it.
    This statements made above do not represent the agency i belong to in any shape or form. So if i say something stupid its just me.

Thread Information