Forum Member

Default More Discipline for Unruly Heroes!!

I'm not quite sure which scares me more ...
    the blanket statement of "We don't discipline the volunteers," or ...
    the fact that someone still thinks it's okay to take pictures with a stripper while being PAID to be on duty, or ...
    the fact that this guy administered Valium and Morphine without keeping proper records, and lied about checking the vitals of a child in seizures, and still has a job.

Stay Safe

------------------------------------------------------------
    Risque photos help land EMT on suspension

Copyright 2003 Pensacola News Journal (Pensacola, FL)
    All Rights Reserved
    Pensacola News Journal (Pensacola, FL)...01/03/2003

Sheila Ingram, Staff

Volunteer firefighters avoid discipline in Dixie Cupps case

Sheila Ingram

@PensacolaNewsJournal.com

An Escambia County medical technician who posed in seductive photographs with a dancer called "Dixie Cupps'' while on duty will be suspended for 10 days.

Emergency medical technician Mark Rea will be suspended without pay because this is the third incident in which he was found to have violated county regulations, said County Attorney Janet Lander.

Rea, 27, said he accepts the punishment.

"It was an unfortunate incident and an error in judgment,'' he said. "I'm accepting my disciplinary action, but life goes on."

Public safety officials began an investigation after learning about the photographs and were concerned primarily about the lack of propriety at a county fire station.

No volunteer firefighters will be punished.

"We don't discipline the volunteers,'' Lander said.

Rea was photographed checking out the dancer's cleavage and posterior with a stethoscope outside the Ensley volunteer fire station. "Dixie Cupps'' bared her breasts in three of the 28 photos, but no county employees or volunteer firefighters were in those pictures.

"The explanations go downhill fast,'' Lander said. "I've heard conflicting stories about whose car she was in. Since it's not clear who was present when she was sitting in the car, we're just going to move on."

Ensley Fire Department Capt. Richard Sample said the punishment against Rea is excessive.

"It's unbelievable,'' he said. "A professional dancer stops by the department and wants to take a few pictures and a few individuals get caught up in the moment. Now the county decides to do this? That's uncalled for."

Sample said the bare-breasted photos were taken as "Dixie Cupps'' sat in his car but surprised everyone who was present.

"It was to the encouragement of her husband, and he was taking the pictures,'' he said.

Two paramedics who were on duty at the Ensley department at the time of the incident were determined to not be involved and were not aware of what was going on at the time, said Public Safety Director Janice Kilgore.

Rea was given a warning in September because he didn't keep complete drug logs after administering morphine and Valium to a patient. He was suspended for three days last February for falsifying documents and misrepresenting the care given to a child who was having seizures.

Rea did not check the child's vital signs and did not take emergency equipment into a home with him, but he had indicated that he followed procedures in his report.

"It's never pleasant to have to deal with disciplinary action against an employee,'' Kilgore said. "We hope that Mark will be as professional as he can in carrying out his duties from now on."
    Last edited by PAVolunteer; 01-06-2003 at 02:30 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Oh Boy!

Where does one begin. Personally I am glad that this story is getting coverage. The only effective tool for stopping idiotic behavior is public pressure. I agree with PA. I can't decide what aspect of this story is worse.

PA I do hope you edit the title of this thread to take out the word "hero". Perhaps you could replace it with MUTT!
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Default I wonder if they have a "3 strikes" rule?

PA:
    Not exactly a poster child for the Fire/EMS service, is he? Making mistakes seems to be the only constant in his life.
    I'm like you; who DOES discipline the volunteers, when necessary? The gentlemen inferred that the volunteers weren't on duty at the time, but the EMT was? That's strange.
    Hmmmmmmm. It's a crazy world we live in.
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

Default Re: Oh Boy!

Originally posted by Duffman
    PA I do hope you edit the title of this thread to take out the word "hero". Perhaps you could replace it with MUTT!
    Ya, it was sort of meant sarcastically, I guess I didn't make that clear ... but if everyone reads this, now they know.

Thanks!

Stay Safe

Temporarily/No Longer Active

If someone in our company did that, or something that publicly embarassed an officer or the whole company; they'd shoot us! But seriously, that would be a matter that would put you as "Not in good standing" and you'd probably get a permanent suspension. We are here to protect life and property; there is no room to be acting like idiots.

I agree with you guys on all the other points. However, the part that does not make sense to me (besides him still having a job) is:

"Two paramedics who were on duty at the Ensley department at the time of the incident were determined to not be involved and were not aware of what was going on at the time, said Public Safety Director Janice Kilgore."

Now,... if they were determined not to be involved, that means to me that they knew what was going on and intentionally kept away from it. That statment implies they had knowledge of this occuring and wanted no part of it. Bravo for them. So if that is so, exactly how can they at the same time not be aware of what was going on? LOL

Just looking at it from a different angle.

see no evil, hear no evil.....

Where's that ostrich?
    If you can keep your head about you, while those around you are losing theirs, then you will be a man my son.

Rudyard Kipling.

Forum Member

"Two paramedics who were on duty at the Ensley department at the time of the incident were determined to not be involved and were not aware of what was going on at the time,
    Capt1GVFD - so that means the two guys who were sitting inside the building in an office doing paperwork would know there is a woman out in the parking lot? I get a different view from that statement than yours. I will agree, if they did know and chose to avoid it, good choice.

How about the Captain, who's car she was sitting in? He gets nothing?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Bones42 - good point. I don't know exactly what was meant by the statement. It just seemed to contradict itself. Maybe I read it wrong, but the statement just did not make sense the way it was phrased. From the article the other medics stayed out of it. A wise choice.

Now as to the Captain....well.... He definitly should have known better too. Something like that happens and an officer should stop it.

Perhaps he was helping her fill out an application for membership? LOL
    If you can keep your head about you, while those around you are losing theirs, then you will be a man my son.

Rudyard Kipling.

MembersZone Subscriber

The guy in that story needs to be gone, getting a picture taken with a stripper is the least of his offenses.
    Sure, we all can sit here and read the story and say it was a stupid thing to do but I just have one question...why don't stippers ever come to the station when I am around? Its been mighty slow for us during our usual busy season, a nice visitor like that could make the time pass quicker.

MembersZone Subscriber

I wonder how the locals are reacting to this press coverage. If the volunteer organization relies on fundraisers like so many others do, they had better start pinching their pennies.

The problem is, they are all the community has. That is why I think their real problem starts at the top. "We don't discipline volunteers", what is that?
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

Forum Member

Perhaps he was helping her fill out an application for membership? LOL
    first laugh of the day!
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

"We don't discipline the volunteers,'' Lander said.
    Rock on! Anybody wanna move to Escambia County? If they don't discipline the volunteers, we can skip training and meetings, show up only for the 'big ones', and probably have a kegger in the station!

Geez, I hope the County Attorney was misquoted on that one!
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

So where exactly does one get a name like "Dixie Cupps"? Surely mom didn't give it to her!! What's up with that? Maybe we should all change our names to something like Johnny Nozzle or something!

Once again, the brain surgeons of the world continue to amaze me.
    IACOJ Military Division
    NM Office
    ------------------------------------
    "There are three kinds of men: The ones who learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest of them who have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."

MembersZone Subscriber

Default No discipline....PARTY!

Sounds like a fun place to work. I believe that could be what is referred to as "the fox watching the henhouse." I would venture to guess that after this fall-out, the disciplinary policies of this department will be subject to some scrutiny.

As for raven911's suggestion we all have creative names, I'm putting dibbs on Bob N. Mynob.

Good Day!
    Lt. D. Gordon
    Greendale Fire Department
    Greendale, IN

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Huh??

If I re-word the sentence about the paramedics not knowing, I think it will make sense. As in: An investigation determined the paramedics were not involved as they did not know what was going on outside the station. Now, does that make sense?? That's the only logical thing that I can come up with to explain the phraseology used by the reporter. As to discipline for the volunteers, what did the volunteers do to warrant discipline? Were they the spectators? Participants in some way? Lots of missing links. Having said that, I do agree that ANYONE involved in a violation of policy should be held responsible. My $.02 worth. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information