Forum Member

Post Fire trucks and advertising does it work?

We are currently looking at purchasing or leasing a new Medic unit, and have heard through the grapevine that we can lease a unit and have it paid for with advertising placed on the side of the truck. I am wondering how this works and has anyone tried this approach also do the trucks look cheesy if this is done.
    Last edited by Ltmdepas3280; 01-07-2003 at 11:48 AM.
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

Forum Member

Personally, I wouldn't worry about how tacky it is. If the people in your community aren't willing to cough up what it takes to provide the services they need, then maybe they need to be hauled to the hospital in an ambulance with a "Got Milk?" ad on the side. Or better yet, just keep the oldest, crappiest unit you have and tell them when you arrive to pray with you that the ambulance won't stall again, like it did with that woman having the triplets during the blizzard.

Not a very constructive answer, but the thought that we should even have to consider doing this is infuriating to me. If people won't pay to be kept alive and safe, what the hell WILL they pay for?
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

MembersZone Subscriber

we have a nearby department that has used
    this technique and paid for a quint with it.

they have the names of the sponsers on the
    ladder plate on the side of the ladder.

it really doesnt look to bad and who cares
    if it did, are you buying a parade truck or
    a truck to protect the people who are sponsering
    it

Forum Member

We have been doing this for about 10 years ove rhere now. Currently we have Drager logos on the sides of the appliances as they supply our B.A. sets and this offsets the total cost of replacing the sets, meaning we can spend the money on other things. (I believe the saving was about 30000).

Another Fire Service in my region is sponsored by an oven chip manufacturer and has their logo and name on the trucks.
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Thumbs up Great idea, but let's think BIGGER

I have been thinking along the exact same lines for about a year. How about this?

Tobacco companies are looking for places to put BILLIONS of advertising dollars. Winston can no longer advertise in all motor sports (No more Winston Cup in drag racing). Winston's colors are red and white, fire trucks are red and white (mostly). Tobacco customers are smokers . . . firefighters go to smokers. Sounds like a match made in heaven.

Here is another one. Budwiser - - red and white . . . we go to auto accidents . . . . If it will get me the equipment I need . . . anybody for "Dispatch, Bud-1 responding."

Maybe RJR and Anheuser Busch could pool their money and put together a grant program that would put the Fire Act to shame.
    Last edited by ffemt1; 01-07-2003 at 12:47 PM.
    Non Volunteering Volunteer (Retired)

IACOJ - Proud member.

Hmm.... let's see... On our new Engine, there's at least 5 name plates with either the Manufacturer's name or the truck model....

There's also a plate on the pump pannel with the dealer's name...

I'm going to call them up right now and see where the advertising check is
    Chief Jim Bator
    www.hopewellfire.org

IACOJ
    Got Crust?
    FTM-PTB

I can think of no more stirring symbol of man's humanity to man than a fire engine. ~Kurt Vonnegut

Forum Member

Lemme clarify my earlier rant...

I have no objection whatsoever to due recognition of donors who cough up large gobs of cash to provide us with something we need. I would gladly tattoo their names on my own, uh, tailboard. Nor would I mind reasonable acknowledgement of a significant donation by a corporation (emphasis on "reasonable" and "significant"; the ad should be commensurate with the donation).

What I am objecting to is a public that won't pay for essential community services and instead relegates us to whoring ourselves out with an ad on the side of our truck. Not recognition of a donation, but a bought-and-paid-for advertisement.

And what happens if Joe Blow, Inc. puts an ad on an apparatus, then puts big money into somebody's political campaign? People will align us with that candidate, that's what would happen. And that is never good, but it's even worse when the candidate loses and his opponent retaliates against us.

What if Enron had an ad on your truck?

It's a can of worms I'd prefer not to open.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Forum Member

Thumbs down

Advertising anything but the Department, unit number or a fire safety message is tacky!

If I wanted to ride in a rolling billboard, I would take a bus or a cab!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Well said Gonzo, as usual. I'm with the Captain on this one.
    Lt. D. Gordon
    Greendale Fire Department
    Greendale, IN

Forum Member

Old glory, a memorial, an indvidual fire company motto or logo and an IAFF decal yes.... Preparation H., Joes Auto Body, McBurger Whopper etc.... NO WAY.

Forum Member

While I agree that this approach is tacky and would not want it on the side of my trucks, I still can't help but think why not? If it is done in a tastful manner and it free's up cash for other needed items such has airpacks or manpower..... why not?
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

Forum Member

You would have to be careful; for a government department to advertise, you would probably be unable to reject some businesses and accept others. In other words, could you advertise "Aunt Sally's Bible Book Store", yet refuse to advertise for "Uncle Harry's Dirty Book Store"? They are both taxpaying businesses...and they should both receive equal consideration under the law. Any lawyers out there? We promise not to shoot you on sight!

I dont think that the victoms of a drunk driver would want an ambulance covered in alcohol ads or a person suffering from congestive heart failure looks out their window to see that the marlboro man is here to save the day. I dont think that advertising is at all a good idea, on the other hand it would be nice to get assistance in paying for equipment. Ads featuring fire companies or related industries would be reasonable.
    This statements made above do not represent the agency i belong to in any shape or form. So if i say something stupid its just me.

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

I'm not sure if I like the idea. How much money can you possible make on these adds? Can it pay for raises or to put manning on the rig? What kind of adds will be on the rig? Bud adds, condom adds, cigarettes adds ???
    Last edited by E40FDNYL35; 01-08-2003 at 07:13 AM.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

If I wanted to ride in a rolling billboard, I would take a bus or a cab!
    With the financial situations of some departments, the bus or a cab might be quicker, and safer.

Advertising anything but the Department, unit number or a fire safety message is tacky!
    And using antique equipment is better?

Can it pay for raises or to put manning on the rig?
    Since more than two thirds of the people using the equipment are not paid, does not matter.

Forum Member

I just checked out an outfit called "government acquisitions inc.". They provide new vehicles of all types to government entities for one dollar, the sponsors pay for the vehicle and get a spot on it, they don't go for gaming, tobacco, etc. The gig is you get the vehicle for three years then sell it to them for one dollar. Theoretically they get you another new one. You've got to help get the sponsors, and agree to the placement of logos, etc. New $180,000.00 engines every three years? could the sponsors support this? for a small town? maybe for a support vehicle or something a little more generic...I don't know... any thoughts?
    Chief Frank Rizzio
    Pea Ridge Fire Dept.
    Pea Ridge AR. 72751

Forum Member

I think there was an article on firehouse.com about a PD that was looking into that company as a way to get new cars. At that time, the company had no sponsors willing to do it and only that one PD that was interested. I think it was in the last 2 or 3 months.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Default Re: Great idea, but let's think BIGGER

Originally posted by ffemt1
    I have been thinking along the exact same lines for about a year. How about this?

Tobacco companies are looking for places to put BILLIONS of advertising dollars. Winston can no longer advertise in all motor sports (No more Winston Cup in drag racing). Winston's colors are red and white, fire trucks are red and white (mostly). Tobacco customers are smokers . . . firefighters go to smokers. Sounds like a match made in heaven.

Here is another one. Budwiser - - red and white . . . we go to auto accidents . . . . If it will get me the equipment I need . . . anybody for "Dispatch, Bud-1 responding."

Maybe RJR and Anheuser Busch could pool their money and put together a grant program that would put the Fire Act to shame.
    also posted by ffemt1
    With the financial situations of some departments, the bus or a cab might be quicker, and safer.

And using antique equipment is better?

Since more than two thirds of the people using the equipment are not paid, does not matter.
    the big question is...

Are you willing to pimp for tobacco and alcohol companies for the sake of a few dollars (especially when we go into the schools to teach kids about the hazards of tobacco and alcohol and their coorelation to fires!)?

If "they" were as concerned about us as they say they are, they would just write checks in the form of grants...not ask firefighters to prostitute themselves.
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 01-08-2003 at 04:37 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Attached Images Attached Images  
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

for the sake of a few dollars
    few dollars ???

$50.00 - don't be silly
    $500.00 - no way
    $5000.00 - probably not
    $50,000.00 - closer
    $500,000.00 - Now you have my attention. This is more than the total expenditures during the 52 year history of my department. First fire truck - $12,000.00 - 1952.

Are you willing to pimp
    From the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary at http://www.m-w.com/

Pronunciation: 'pimp
    Function: noun
    Etymology: origin unknown
    Date: 1600
    : a man who solicits clients for a prostitute

Answer - No - see illegal reference below.

If my ultimate purpose, and I assume yours, is to save lives and protect property, is the way I get the tools to do that really important? (I will leave this statement open for those of you who want to come up with illegal methods, the rest will understand.)

Question: Would YOU take money from a tobacco company to save a neighbor? What line will YOU never cross to save someone?

RyanEMVFD

Try Photoshop, I think it will do a better job for you.
    Last edited by ffemt1; 01-08-2003 at 06:52 PM.

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

i'm at work and only have access to paintbrush, i apologize for the poor attempt at humor.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

Originally posted by ffemt1

few dollars ???

$50.00 - don't be silly
    $500.00 - no way
    $5000.00 - probably not
    $50,000.00 - closer
    $500,000.00 - Now you have my attention. This is more than the total expenditures during the 52 year history of my department. First fire truck - $12,000.00 - 1952.

From the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary at http://www.m-w.com/

Pronunciation: 'pimp
    Function: noun
    Etymology: origin unknown
    Date: 1600
    : a man who solicits clients for a prostitute

Answer - No - see illegal reference below.

If my ultimate purpose, and I assume yours, is to save lives and protect property, is the way I get the tools to do that really important? (I will leave this statement open for those of you who want to come up with illegal methods, the rest will understand.)
    Looking at your method of answering questions, your attitude and your tag line, the following assumptions come to mind...

A: Larry Stevens must have moved to West Central Indiana, or you are one of his admirers.

B: You work for a tobacco company or a distributor.

C: You work for a liquor company or own a liquor store

D: Taking money from tobacco and alcohol companies and advertising on your fire trucks is far from professional... it is soliciting clients for them.

Question: Would YOU take money from a tobacco company to save a neighbor? What line will YOU never cross to save someone?
    I've seen first hand the effects of tobacco use....watching friends and colleagues die a slow and painful death from lung cancer, pulling bodies of children out of fires caused by the careless disposal of tobacco products, going to medicals where patients on ephysema are taking off their O2 suplies to have a cigarette and too many other situations to mention.

Don't give us your self righteous "bovine scatology" about "crossing lines" to save people. It is insulting to anyone who consider themselves "professional".
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

A: Larry Stevens must have moved to West Central Indiana, or you are one of his admirers.
    Don't know him, is he a friend of yours?
    B: You work for a tobacco company or a distributor.
    No, don't even smoke, do you?
    C: You work for a liquor company or own a liquor store
    No, maybe a mixed drink a couple of times a year, but nothing more. Do you drink?
    D: Taking money from tobacco and alcohol companies
    Are you paid when you are a firefighter? Or does your department contract with a governmental body? What about a Fire Act grant? Did you get one? Where does that money come from? Ever hear of sin tax? Tobacco and alcohol are two of the biggest taxpayers in our society. So unless you, and your department run TOTALLY from donations, you are ALREADY taking tobacco and alcohol money, it just SEEMS cleaner because it is laundered by the government.

Ever enjoy "watching" a NASCAR race? Or do you only watch the ones that have teams that do not get tobacco money?

it is soliciting clients for them.
    Do you order EVERYTHING you see advertised? Do you believe everything you are told by sales employees? Are you a zombie to the commercial? Ever hear of free will?
    I've seen first hand the effects of tobacco use
    May 19, 1979 - Mother died after smoking for 25+ years
    June 3, 1979 - TWO weeks after Mother died, Father dies after 25+ years of smoking, and after suffering for 7 years with cancer. Because I am the oldest son, I was the Executor of their estate, so I probably have seen more, and have a more personal experience with the effects of tobacco, than you have.
    is far from professional...
    I believe there is a BIG different between "looking" like a professional, and "performing" like one. I will let my performance on the job determine whether I am a Professional or not.

It looks like the difference in our line of thought is that I believe in personal responsibility, and you don't. I don't blame the tobacco companies for the deaths from cancer. Do you? I don't blame the alcohol companies for drunk driving. Do you? I don't blame the gun manufacturers for shooting deaths. Do you? I don't blame McDonald's for the burn you get when you spill coffee on your crotch while trying to drive. Do you? I don't blame the fast food industry for people being overweight. Do you?

I TAKE PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY.
    bovine scatology
    NICE . . . VERY NICE . . . I am impressed. How long did that take you, and how many people do you think will look that up?
    Last edited by ffemt1; 01-09-2003 at 07:56 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have seen fire trucks with ads on them and they look like sh**!!!

I think it's very tacky!!! What happens when there is a fire at a business and you pull up with your big truck with a big fat ad from the competition?????? Can you say conflict of interest?? How about sponsorship issues like mentioned before???

Yes, a plaque on the truck with the names of persons/businesses that donated to make that truck happen, my all means. But not a huge ad on the side of the truck.

Ok lets lighten up,

Big fire in any city USA.

News media comes up to the wagon driver, "Fireman can you tell us what happened?"

Ya. we had a good run today with the 84 lumber seagrave. Got into the building using our nabisco crackers halligan tool, and made the fire floor with our Barnes and noble inch and a half. But we never would have gotten a knock on the fire without our coca cola scott air pack. But I gotta thank all the mutts in city hall for not funding us properly, they worked real hard all year!!!!

Thread Information