Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Question Construction time for Saulsbury

Anyone had any problems/concerns with Saulsbury's delivery time? We ordered a new $350,000+ Heavy Rescue on June 3, 2002, had pre-con meeting at plant the first week in Sept. However, we can't get final change order prices or even an ESTIMATED date of construction. My sales guy is great and I think he's banging his head too. Rumor has it that the factory oversold capacity of the plant. E-mail me if you want.

Thanks

fire3@deforestfire.com
    Daniel Furseth
    DeForest (WI)
    Safe And Fast Extrication, Inc.
    www.besafeinc.org

"Extrication is like jazz. Improvisation based on fundamentals"

DFurseth,My dept. just took delivery of 2 E-One/Saulsbury Engines.When the contract was signed we where told it would be a 12 month build time. Then came 9-11, and the orders from FDNY and NYPD.That pushed us back to about 15 months.Soon we'll be starting a committee for a rescue and we've been told it's upto 18 month build time.I can tell you that the factory is jammed with orders and they are planning to put an addition on one of the buildings.My guess is you'll see your rig by Christmas, hohoho! Good Luck.
    Lead,Follow or Get out of the way.

MembersZone Subscriber

My volunteer department has speced an E-One Cyclone II Rescue/Pumper with a 50' Teleboom and we contacted Saulsbury for the body work. They gave us pricing and a delivery time of 12 months. After the details were worked out they said 18 months. Two weeks ago they said that the delivery time was 24 months from signing of the contract. Needless to say, E-One might build the whole thing instead.

Stay low and move it in.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Angry

wow .......... for all of you waiting by the time you get your vehicles there may be something else a changin ......... 2 years is a LONG time
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Something else interesting for you guys. There are currently 10 apparatus sitting at Saulsbury that have been there for 2 1/2 years. Yes thats right, YEARS as they are 1 1/2 years behind schedule. They are headed to 2 different departments in Texas. A number of reasons for the delay such as: Painted the wrong color, lack of attention to detail on them, foam systems that won't make foam, over weight,etc. Interesting huh? Just passing it along.

Stay low and move it in.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Forum Member

Larry, Are any of those rigs part of the 9 piece order for Annaville ,Tx.?I saw some of them this summer at the plant. 7, engine /tanker/rescue's and 2 unimogs. During our inspection this fall of our 2 engines, you could see the difference in the 2 production lines.The workmanship on one was far supperior than the other.A problem they need to address.People pick Saulsbury because of the consruction quality, if they start to loose that edge because there rushing trucks thru production, that won't be good for business.
    Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way.

MembersZone Subscriber

Stealth, Yes in fact that is were some of them are going. The others are going to Seabrook, Tx.

You can read about it here:

www.geocities.com/annavillefd/index.html

When you get there go to the four (4) OOPS! pages. The links are on the bottom of the home page.

Stay low and move it in.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

MembersZone Subscriber

And another side note on this thread. Everyone realizes that there are no more Saulsbury family members working there. The last one left about 6 or 7 months ago. Corporate life isn't the same as the one you and I live in. Annaville, the department waiting for 2 1/2 years for their rigs, was Saulsburys largest customer for 2003 and you see how they get their stuff quick. Just something to think about.

Stay low and move it in.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Sorry Larry,

I could not pass this one up. Are they not owned and operated by E-One?

MembersZone Subscriber

I understand. Cheap shot that couldn't be passed up. LOL. No harm done. But yes, they are in fact owned by E-One. Now I could tell you something about that ownership thing, but it is not the right time.

Stay low and be safe.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

MembersZone Subscriber

I thought that those trucks were Saulsburyís new high-volume-CAFS-rescue-pumper-tanker-hose/ladder-tender program truck Ė the latest addition to the Tradition series.

And the Stewart and Stevensons....Arenít those just the stainless steel equivalent of the Jackal?

My department was considering Saulsbury along with a few other manufacturers for our new rigs. Based on what Iíve seen so far, they are probably out of the picture unless they make some major changes soon. I think you can expect to see them loosing their big customers such as the FDNY and NYPD as well, unless there are major changes.

One might wonder....if they canít get Annavilleís 9 rigs to make CAF, how are they ever going to manage the 30 going to Los Alamos?

Dfurseth: All I can say is that you better weigh, test, and inspect your rig up and down and make sure you hold them to the spec before you accept it.

I hate to be so picky but I thought I would correct you Larry and shed some light on this question. Saulsbury is not owned by E-One. Both E-One and Saulsbury are owned by Federal Signal Corporation. Federal also owns Bronto Skylift and Superior Fire Apparatus (the Canadian version of E-One). They are all effectlively Known as Federals Fire/Rescue group. But they are all separate companies. They work with each other but they are run separately. No one owns the other.

Somehow I knew as I kept reading that someone would bring up the mythical relationship of one owns the other. Smeal once apon a time built Pierces aerials but yet Smeal didnt own Pierce or visaversa.But a good ribbing is always funny. I was thinking of it but someone beat me to it.

Kevin

MembersZone Subscriber

You are correct. Both E-One and Saulsbury are totally owned subsidiaries of Federal Signal. However, Saulsbury is under the management and control of E-One. Sorry, but thats how it is.

Stay low and move it in.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

MembersZone Subscriber

DFurseth I am just wondering why your department didnot look at any of the coumpanies in your home state. SEAGRAVE,Alf,and pierce all manufacturer heavy rescues and have plants in Wisconsin.

Forum Member

Truck went to bids with Pierce and Saulsbury. Saulsbury had fewer exeptions to the bid (Stainless steel was the major difference). Also, we currently have a '97 Pierce Saber Rescue/Engine that is rusting to death before our eyes (and we are required to wash our trucks after EVERY run in any rain or snow). ALL the doors started corroding from poor paint prep and the company refuses to stand behind it. Plus, Saulsbury's bid was $4000 less than Pierce with a 10 year paint warranty.

I sent several e-mails to Marion and ALF asking for a salesperson to contact us as we were looking for bids on a large Heavy Rescue. They never responded back.

Now, Seagrave. Until FDIC, never knew they made rescues.

I recieved a "rumor e-mail" that Saulsbury was actually going out of business. ???? News to me. Anyone else?
    Daniel Furseth
    DeForest (WI)
    Safe And Fast Extrication, Inc.
    www.besafeinc.org

"Extrication is like jazz. Improvisation based on fundamentals"

MembersZone Subscriber

I also recieved a few "rumor" e-mails over the last number of weeks. About Saulsbury going out of business. I would imagine you would see Saulsbury survive, just with another name or a break from E-One management altogether. The answer will be after their dealers meeting next week. I do know they no longer want to do business with F.D.N.Y. because they are too picky. They however, love working with N.Y.P.D. for some reason. A good customer like they have been over the years and this is how they treat them. Go figure, take a great company and damage it so badly in such a a short period of time. So lets recap if I may:

1) They run off the last Saulsburies working there
    2) Quality goes down hill in every respect
    3) Prices stays high on the market scale
    4) Delivery gets longer, and longer, and longer ...
    5) They run off good, long time customers they should value
    6) Can't keep plant managers

The corporate world I guess.

What does everyone think about General Fire Apparatus? LOL. I don't want an answer to that, just throwing something out there for thought.

Stay low and move it in.
    Last edited by STATION2; 02-01-2003 at 03:37 PM.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

wasnt Phoenix big on Saulsbury in the 80's and 90's? I thought they just took new delivery of a whole new boatload not too long ago...

Forum Member

Phoenix recently placed a huge order (something like 50 rigs) with ALF for their new engines. What I've read is that they're going to be mid-engine Eagle chassis, which as far as I can tell is new. Should be interesting to see what they look like.

Forum Member

Wink PFD E-one/Saulsbury -ALF

PFD used e-one hush rear engine pumpers from late 80s and still have a bunch. In 96 they picked up a saulsbury/spartan mid-engine.In 99-2000 they bought 8-16 mid engine e-one/saulsbury units. FFs really like them alot. The recent order with ALF is for 22 with options for a total of 56. They will have 500gallons,40/40 foam,CAFS,1250 HALE pumps,stainless construction,455 CAT engine. I hear the reason for the order was price and saulsbury was going to take a really long time to fill the order. PFD wants something like 4 or 5 pumpers a month for the first 22. Alot of central arizona departments are buying from ALF recently. I hear RURAL/METRO FFs in Scottsdale hate the ALF rigs.
    BTW- someone mentioned here or in another tread that Spartan wasnt building mid or rear engine cabs . THEY ARE. Tempe Arizona just bought some last year,saulsbury mid engines.
    Go to saulsburyfire.com and look at the stealth pupmers.
    Last edited by helicopter722; 02-02-2003 at 03:26 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

helicopter722:

Do you have any idea what the PFD's new ALF's will have for CAF Systems? Is Hale doing a custom job on their new system, or are they going to have another fleet of CAF pumpers that don't get used?

Thread Information