Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default ? about Air Force Fire Fighting

Hello all. I have a question for any current or former Air Force FF's or AF DOD Civilian FF's. I currently am working for a municipality as a FF. I have past experience as a DOD Civilian FF at a naval base. I am interested in possibly going into the AF Reserve or Air National Guard as a FF. If I already have all the DOD FF Certs that are given at the AF FF Tech school in Texas, is it possible for me to just go through boot camp without having to go through tech school seeings how I already have all the certs that Tech School would give me? I realize a recruiter is probably gonna be able to answer this question best, however, I would like to have the opinion of a few of the AF FF's here on the forums. Please send input and/or advice. Thanks for any help!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Are your certificates issued by DOD or another IFSAC course? I would think that if they are issued by the DOD there would be no reason to go to the school.

Also, when the school first opened, they were not giving some training now. A new Airman coming to his first base now has Firefighter II, Airport Firefighter, Haz-Mat Op's and First Responder.

I think that the biggest thing to look at is who actually issued your certificates. I also believe that you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned you should talk to a recruiter. You may also try contacting someone at the fire school, they may have the answer also.
    The web site is: http://www.goodfellow.af.mil/~trs312/newfire/index.htm

Forum Member

Just talk to the local recruiter and the Chief of the Guard or Reserve department. If you currently hold the proper DOD certs, they won't send you back for repeat training. Most units are very strapped for money.

MembersZone Subscriber

It only makes sense that they not send you there if you already have the certs. Just out of curiosity, have you been to Goodfellow's school? I took my basic school at the old Chanute AFB but have went to some advanced courses at Goodfellow. I believe it is a top notch school. Good Luck in your endeavour.

RICK, I got my DOD certs through reciprocity from state fire classes in VA. When I went to work for the Naval Base, they used my state certs to qualify me for the DOD certs. Both were IFSAC and Pro Board, so they accepted them. I was able to get Up through FF2, HazMat Ops, ARFF, and Officer 1 in the DOD certs. I really appreciate everyone's input. Hopefully I will be able to make this happen. The reserves and the ANG seem to have alot to offer. If anyone has any other tidbits, please offer them! Stay safe and God Bless!!!!

Thread Information