Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question Newbie Questions

Hey, I'm thinkin about changing careers to firefighting, but I'm 26, honestly, am I too old? It'll probably take me 6-mos just to get physically fit to start. Also, what is an explorer? What does 2in/2out mean? And what is the fire police? Thanks in advance.

first of all your not too old but if you want to do it i would jump in right away if i were you. an explorer is just that, its a person 14-21 years of age who is in a group that explors the fire service.
    never forget 343 FDNY
    in memory of 40 ENGINE/35 TRUCK
    normal people spend their life's avoiding intense situations.....a fireman's life is an intence situation.

Temporarily/No Longer Active EoneTiller's Avatar

the 2 in 2 out rule is that 2 guys (attack team) go inside and fight the fire, while there is 2 guys out (backup team) they wait outside with an airpack and tools at the point of entry, ready to rescue the attack team if needed. The 2 out team must be a crew of at least two qualified fire fighters, fully equipped with protective gear, SCBA, and appropriate tools and communications equipment. Furthermore, the 2 out team members canít be involved in any other activities which are critical to the safety and health of any other employee working at the incident.

Temporarily/No Longer Active EoneTiller's Avatar

the fire police are part of the fire dept and work with the police to like direct traffice. thats all our fire police do is direct traffice and when there is a wire down they watch it and make sure no one goes near it, and wait for the electric co. to get there.

hey 76 do u live near a vollunteer department? i would strongly suggest that if you do try to get on it. that might be the best way for you get started.
    never forget 343 FDNY
    in memory of 40 ENGINE/35 TRUCK
    normal people spend their life's avoiding intense situations.....a fireman's life is an intence situation.

Smile Getting started...

1. I would go down and talk to your local
    fire department get all the info. you can.

2. Go to your local community college to
    see about persuing a Fire Tech. degree.

3. Get some good info. about jobs at-
    www.firecareers.com

4. Get all kinds of good information at-
    www.eatstress.com

-Bou

Thread Information