MembersZone Subscriber

Question Calling the investigator

I have a hoosier problem and would like the opions of fellow hoosiers.

About two weeks ago our chief got a call from the state fire marshals office from the investigator in charge of our area. To make a long story short he ranted and raved about our department and some others in the area not calling the investigator in to look at our structure fires. He stated that since none of us hold a certificate in investigations, we don't have the knowledge to determine how a fire started. We do have two people who have not updated there certs, but have been through the class. He made some other loud and unneeded comments about volunteers also.

Has anyone else been contacted? What are some of the protocols used by your departments to determine when to call the state in to look?

Thanks for you opinons and info.

MembersZone Subscriber

While not a hoosier, I will boldly offer my opinion anyhow. Why not invite the state guy to your house for a cup of coffee. A face to face may be all that's needed to settle everyone down. Our OSFM Investigator is a great asset. Good luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

Post Calling The SFM

We only call for an investigator when we have a suspicious fire and any occupied dwelling fires.

MembersZone Subscriber

As per a code or law that I can't remember off the top of my head a fire department is required to investigate all fires. If an investigator is not called the chief is responsible. Like my department has been told. If you want the State to investigate just call. They don't care about coming out.

MembersZone Subscriber

The state investigators usually are not allowed overtime for run of the mill
    fires. The Fire Marshall's Investigator, near us, just retired. He was very good at his job and would sometimes respond just by listening to runs on his radio. Most of the state investigator work is in areas covered by Vollie, Combo, & smaller Career Departments. The larger Career Departments normally have an Investigations Division, and seldom need help from the state investigators.

Forum Member

Smile

well we aren't the only ones to get the same call the marshalles office has offically got to hell

Thread Information