MembersZone Subscriber

Default Anyone know anything about Milwaukee??

Anyone out there know if Milwaukee Fire Department is ever going to start a new recruiting class???

Forum Member

It looks like firefighter applications may be accepted in 2008. If you wish to be notified of the application period, you should fill out and submit the interest form for which I provided a link

http://www.city.milwaukee.gov/Mailin...iceOff3465.htm

It looks hot in there

Quote Originally Posted by Daveed06 View Post
    Anyone out there know if Milwaukee Fire Department is ever going to start a new recruiting class???
    Test is coming sometime in 08, current list is expired, or expiring shortly. From what I understand all vacancies will be filled out of the current class for line personnel..they are going to put this list together to prepare for a number of retirements coming in the next few years. The city is not doing anyone a favor right now with cutbacks, and trying to squeeze everything they can out of the fire department because of their own poor accounting. There is a rumor I heard the other day that they may be laying off around 6-8 FF's..not sure on how truthful it is..but..I can see it happening with the current fiscal problems. No matter what, it's going to be a VERY long process with anyone for a list number over 50. I suggest you get your paramedic done if you have any interest in getting hired..they may not give you actual preference points per se, but it's not going to hurt anything. *nudge*
    'Adversus incendia excubias nocturnas vigilesque commentus est"

www.vententersearch.com

MembersZone Subscriber

From what I hear about the cutbacks it that 12 positions will be cut. They want to get rid of a position on 4 truck companies right now. So that would be 12 spots with all 3 shifts.

MembersZone Subscriber

PureAdrenalin, when did you hear this? I know that they are trying to get reduced staffing on some trucks, but I didn't think they would be firing some. Also, as far as paramedic is concerned, that doesn't really affect who they hire does it? For example, if I place #25 on the list and don't have paramedic, but the guy at #26 does, they have to hire me first, right? I don't have my paramedic yet, but hope to in about a year or two. Any idea of what to study for the written test, exam prep books that are similar? Also, do you know if the next test will be similar to the last test? How and what should I study for the video interview? I have never had something like this and am a little worried as to what will be in it?

By the way, do you work for Milwaukee? I want to come to town and visit some stations but I would like to know which are some good ones to visit. Thanks for all your help.

Mack

the 4-1-4

Until the actual budget is released, there will be no exact number on the number of positions cut for 2008.

There are 22 recruits still in the school, which are set to graduate in two weeks. The list is expired right now, and any new class hired will be off from a new list. As of right now, an application period will be opened in early 2008.

Being a paramedic will have no bearing on anyone being hired. It is of no benefit in the hiring process. It is treated as somewhat of a promoted position inside of the department.

Seek all of your hiring questions from the Fire&Police commission, they are the ONLY source for accurate information. We get ours from Local-215, which in turn gets it from the commission. Don't believe any rumors, stories, or rumors of stories. There will be recruit classes sometime in 2008, there are just too many vacancies right now, even with the cuts proposed.

No one is going to lose their job at this point.
    Last edited by jasper45; 11-28-2007 at 03:47 PM.

It looks hot in there

Clark918, those 12 spots are going to be lost through attrition or so I last heard.

mack22, No I don't work for Milwaukee, but I do have a bunch of friends on the department, and friends who know a bunch of others on the city..so..I hear things, some of which are not true as Jasper can show. Rumors are rumors..which is where the paramedic thing falls into play..I had been told by more than one paramedic that they may give a bit of a nod to current medics as they want to add at least 2 more MED rigs..but once again..it's only a rumor.

www.vententersearch.com

the 4-1-4

Quote Originally Posted by PureAdrenalin View Post
    I had been told by more than one paramedic that they may give a bit of a nod to current medics as they want to add at least 2 more MED rigs..but once again..it's only a rumor.

Keep in mind when you hear these stories, that one of the new med rigs was pulled off the table before it ever went into service this year.
    The only way to add more med rigs right now, without increasing the budget would be to cut firefighting companies.

The only information I've ever brought here is what I have heard at union meetings. The local has very accurate information on personnel issues within the department. There will be plenty of hiring next year, it will just be a matter of time.

There is a big obstacle to giving EMT, or paramedic any additional points, and I can't say what it is in an open forum. If you use a little common sense, and think about it a bit, a very pc reason will be blatantly obvious. Until that changes, there will never be extra credit given for meds and emts.

It looks hot in there

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    Keep in mind when you hear these stories, that one of the new med rigs was pulled off the table before it ever went into service this year.
    The only way to add more med rigs right now, without increasing the budget would be to cut firefighting companies.

The only information I've ever brought here is what I have heard at union meetings. The local has very accurate information on personnel issues within the department. There will be plenty of hiring next year, it will just be a matter of time.

There is a big obstacle to giving EMT, or paramedic any additional points, and I can't say what it is in an open forum. If you use a little common sense, and think about it a bit, a very pc reason will be blatantly obvious. Until that changes, there will never be extra credit given for meds and emts.
    I do try to not listen to most of it..but without being an insider myself it makes it hard at times. I'm looking forward to the process..as i'll be throwing everything I have at it. The Med rig rumor I had heard was..well...quite some time ago. Maybe January-ish when I had heard that the new rig was supposed to be in service by the 4th of July. I'm not surprised that it didn't happen..but I often wonder when that "PC reason" won't matter anymore..it's gotta change eventually..resources seemed to be getting streched thin again, just like it was when MED 19 came online.

www.vententersearch.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    Honestly, it doesn't seem obvious at all to me, but let me guess. It has something to do with either being a female or a minority, right? I'm sure it's the latter, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Whenever I hear someone tiptoeing around the subject of PC in the fire service, it's always someone who wants to complain about females and minorities getting special treatment.
    Until you've been on a Harley-Davidson, you haven't been on a motorcycle

the 4-1-4

Quote Originally Posted by SCSmith View Post
    Whenever I hear someone tiptoeing around the subject of PC in the fire service, it's always someone who wants to complain about females and minorities getting special treatment.

Believe me, I'm not tiptoeing around anything ever again. The city of Milwaukee is endangering lives with the way they are cutting us.

The mere mention of requiring an EMT license in order to apply resulted in the IABPFF (International Association of Black Professional Firefighters) complaining non-stop. The reason is that then the jobs couldn't just be handed out to certain individuals after a pathetic excuse of an exam process.
    It has been the stated mission of our police and fire commission, and our chief engineer that they will increase the diversity of the department.

Anyone who thinks that there isn't special/preferential treatment for minorities and women, either is ignorant to the situation, or has their head in the sand.
    Anyone who thinks this doesn't exist really has not been around governmental politics.

Oh yeah, this is complaining about the policies in place. These are people with whom I have to entrust not only my life, but my family's lives as well. So yeah, it is a big deal.
    It's a bigger deal because there is no place to hide some POS who was hired because they are black, or because they are a woman, and can't do the job.
    There is no justification for that, and yet it happens, and will continue to happen.
    Last edited by jasper45; 06-13-2008 at 10:51 AM.

is there any word on milwaukee hiring or not this summer?

Thread Information