Default power point training

Just wondering if anyone uses power point displays in there training?
    If so does anyone know where I can find power point displays to cover some of the basic (FF I) stuff, or any firefighting training at that? Iíve used power point in several EMS class, but never in any fire based training any help would be appreciated.

MembersZone Subscriber

Power Point training is one of the most exciting options available to the fire service today. But while there are commercially available programs, why not think outside the box? Make your own!

Think of it. You can use your inhouse computer system to create the presentation. The material is already presented in your training manuals and texts. You put together a custom made training program for your department based on their needs, the current state of the art material and it's particular application to your department. I am certain that most FD's have a library of pictures. Scan those in and use those as a/v aids. Buy a digital camera and begin to build a library of photos from fires and drills to use in your presentations. If you have to make a change...BLIP...in 30 seconds the change is made.

Power Point is not rcoket science and does not require advanced computer training. I have used Power Point presentations that I have created myself for years. They are simply the most cost effective means of providing quality training for a FD if:

1. You have a very knowledgable person create the training programs, and then have them reviewed for correctness and errors prior to presentation; and

2. You have someone who is halfway familiar with a computer, with a sense of design and color, to create the presentation.

Try it. You will be amazed at how easy it is.

Forum Member

George is right, try making your own instead of buying one. Take for example the IFSTA presentations on 1 & 2. Look in IFSTA manual, decide what graphics you want to present and have your people demonstrate the methods and your tools and apparatus in the pictures. Your personnel will relate to it more.

Also, you can scan in your older slide programs that still have good and current info as well.

a word of caution though, don't get too fancy with all the animations; it's easy to do with all the neat stuff PP can do. And don't get to dependent on PP that classroom training becomes click-read-click-read.
    www.gvfd.org

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

I agree, PowerPoint is a great tool. I've downloaded several off of the internet for training and have created a few of my own. Keep it simple, don't put much to distract away from the message. I know there are two at www.fire-rescuevillage.com in their libary and I uploaded I belive two at www.volunteerfd.org and I've found a good RIT one on the Jefferson County, Kentucky i believe. Good Luck.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Our training was pretty stale until we got up to speed on PowerPoint. The program by itself isn't the end-all-be-all, but it did wonders to keep things fresh. I managed to self-learn most of it (I'm not into animations, yet) and it was pretty easy to learn.

I would echo what ScottCook said, though. I have been to an awful lot of classes and presentations where the lecturer just read the slides to me. I can read. Keep each slide simple, use lots of pictures and illustrations to prod your memory, and you'll end up with a much better presentation.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

I would have to agree with the point that you do not want to have the slides to read from, rather to just have highlighted points.

There is nothing more irritating for me when training in my NG unit when some one just reads from the book. First it shows that the person does not know the material them selves, and should be sitting in the class rather then giving it, and in my opinion is just a waste of everyoneís time.

Forum Member

Wasn't there an old saying with training? Something like people remember 1/4 of what they hear, 1/2 of what they see, 3/4 of what they do?

Use the Powerpoint to reinforce what is being said, and whenever possible, hands on is best.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Early Adopter

Cool

I've put together some fire-related PP presentations as I'm a career firefighter with eight years experience in newspaper/design/etc. PP presentations are great as long as you don't (1) cram the slide with too much junk and (2) use contrasting colors.

If your slides have paragraphs of text on them... or six different silly clip art images... you've got too much stuff and it will be distracting to your students. Also, I've been to too many classes where I had to try to read hot pink text on a royal blue background or some other wacky & impossible-to-read color combination. You want to teach your students... Not make their eyes bleed.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Use the "wizard" when you do your first one and stick by the suggestions (i.e not too many words per screen and a readable font). Also SPELL CHECK....I took an MBA class and our final presentation was PP -- you'd be amazed at the errors and they were underlined (the red squiggly line), so they stuck out even more. And on a giant screen, that's all I focused on with some of the presentations... Moving graphics, sounds, and cartoons lighten the mood.

Have fun!

I like PowerPoint, and I like presentations that are made well with powerpoint, but like everyone else has said, you have to be careful because it is easy to distract the classroom with all the bells and whistles the program comes with. If you let the damn thing go hog wild in the wizard (makes the presentation for you) it will come out so laden with tricks and animations that the point will be lost.

Many times I have been presented with a powerpoint slideshow with no backup material- and have forgotten the topic minutes after walking out of the classroom. If you want people to remeber your stuff, maybe hand out an outline (powerpoint will make that too) so that your students can scribble their own extra notes as you expand on each topic. In many cases, it is not a good subsitute for the old chalk/grease board.

Also, don't expect everyone to crowd around a computer monitor. Get one of those LCD projectors before you make any presentation to more than one person.

(edit) and use the spell check- I regularly have to come back to my posts to edit the spelling errors.

MembersZone Subscriber

I used the power point to enhance the training for our recruit academy. we have the essentials IV package that comes with the power point on CD rom, its just the basic presentation, i.e, the ttransparancies from the Instructor guide, but it gives you a great place to start to put your presentation together. I created new slides by adding in some of the text from the Instructor guide, , flip charts etc, plus stuff that is peculiar to our area. but as has already been said, dont overdo the creativity. I also make the handouts from the presentation. BUT I do not give them out till after the session ends, then I get them to add notes, homework etc, it helps to reinforce the session. I did try one time to give the handouts first and get the students to follow along, but found they were skipping through and getting too far ahead, soon nipped that in the bud, lol.
    Good luck and happy powerpointing
    Michael

Forum Member

Power point is ANOTHER TOOL that should be used in conjunction with other teaching methods. It is not the be-all/end-all. I have sat with the outline of more then one PP presentation where the instructor flashes what I have sitting in front of me on the screen with those lame graphics. I think that may instructors/presenters are over- using PP. It was once a great new innovation, but now is becoming tedious...O.K. let me have it now, I can take it.

Forum Member

Cool Scotty....I need more POWER.........

Originally posted by MIKEYLIKESIT
    Power point is ANOTHER TOOL that should be used in conjunction with other teaching methods. It is not the be-all/end-all.
    Amen brother.....Last year I took a 40 hour course on preparing and presenting powerpoint. The class was entirely done with powerpoint, and we used our own laptops to follow the class. Sounds good, except the computer geek instructing the class had point and click teaching skills

Let's face it, you could have put together the most dynamic powerpoint program in the world....but if you suck as an instructor, it won't make a difference.

Try to personalize your show. Start taking pictures of all activities in your department, and customize your presentation. Giving a presentation to "A"-Shift?, throw some slides in of that shift doing things right, (or for the fun of it, throw in "B-" Shift, doing something wrong.) Don't put slides in of manipulative skills. (If the class is on taking hydrants, go take a hydrant, don't show pictures of it). Don't add sounds....it may be cute the first time, but its dumb the second, and irritating the third.

Good Luck,

FG
    IACOJ.... "Carpe Elkhartem"
    (Seize the Nozzle)

"Victorious warriors win first,
    and then go to war,
    while defeated warriors go to war first,
    and then seek to win."

SUN TZU

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

I agree!

Power Point is a Powerful tool. I use it all the time when preparing classroom training. It helps me deliver my presentations and acts as my outline & notes. We use our digital camera and video camera to add video and photos to out presentations. This way we can show examples of sites in our district, actual photos of our equipment, etc., not a generic picture used by a commercially made program.

Another great thing about Power Point is when you are done with the presentation you save it to your drive or CD and it's ready the next time you bring it out. Later you can update your presentation, as policies or procedures change.

I also use Power Point to do my "Game Show" health & safety presentation. I have it set up to the theme of "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire". It really keeps up the interest after you have done the same subject over and over.

I also do "Firehouse Jeopardy", that is actually a website run from my laptop, which allows use to move about the game board using hyperlinks, looks just like the TV show, with real video from the Jeopardy game CD. First time I tried it the 30 guys in the room were hemming and hawwing that it was kid stuff. But 5 minutes into the game they were all playing. I collect all those t-shirts, hats and mug samples that the vendors drop off all year and hand them out as prizes during the drill. Just another tool.

Gotta keep their attention to drive home the message!

Stay Safe

Mike
    "Improvise, Adapt, Overcome".........
    Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge

I.A.C.O.J.

E.S.A.D.

NYS SFI

Forum Member

One other thing about "overloading" the slides. The general rule at my real job is 6X6 on wording--no more than 6 lines with 6 words per line. This works pretty good.

Fyrescue, great idea! Would you be willing to make FH Jeaopardy available to the rest of us?
    www.gvfd.org

Thread Information